Hair Stylists in Riyadh?

Okay, I've been here a couple months and my hair is needing a trim.

The expats in my compound use the same stylist who has a shop in a different compound, but from what I hear she is disorganized, always running late, and a haircut/blowdry can take half a day because she overbooks, etc.

Anybody have any recommendations?

you can always go to local saloons for women, they are spread through out the city, (R-M! where are you? lol ) there for women only so I'm not familiar with the good ones.

Salman

Well yes.. but I think there is quite a difference between what Western women want done to their hair and what Saudi women want done. 

Best to go to a stylist who is familiar with the kind of cut you might want.

I think men don't understand the importance of this! :D

Lol! probably your right, but don't underestemate what local tailors are capable of, you'll be surprized. besides, you can't judge if you haven't really tried one... ;)

Salman

Oh, I have no problem trying local TAILORS, Salman ... because if you don't like what they've done, you don't have to wear the clothes they have made.

HOWEVER.. when it comes to hair ?!?  Have you ever tried walking around for weeks (months) waiting for a bad haircut to grow in??

Okay.. here's a funny story, a bit off the track but it's my thread so I think I'm entitled.  One time in the States, I was at one of the many nail salons staffed by Vietnamese women and when she finished my manicure, the girl asked me if I wanted my rather full eyebrows waxed.

Well, classic scenario of mis-communication.  I agreed, assuming (yes, the 'ass' word!) she'd realize I liked them fuller and just wanted a bit of a clean up.

However she, the one with pencil-thin brows, had different ideas!

So I leaned back in the chair, eyes closed, and felt the warm wax being applied.  Then RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPp!  And she gleefully shows me the cloth .. which looks as though there is a big catepillar flattened on in.  In horror I realize that the big flattened catepillar is MY EYEBROW!

Well, at this point it was too late to stop.  When she finished and I looked in the mirror, I was horrified.  My brows were pencil lines and I resembled Bette Davis!

Well the girl was all smiling and proud of the 'good' job she had done and I managed to muster up a smile and thank her.

Now.. fast forward a week or two.  The brow hairs are beginning to sprout here and there and I am looking very unkept but I can't  pluck them because I want to get my eyebrows back again!  So, I go out and buy eyebrow 'filler' and carefully brush it on, thinking it will hide the wayward hairs.  I step  back to admire my handiwork.. and NOW I resemble Joan Crawford!

So .. in the space of just a few weeks, I have become the two characters in 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' !!!!!!!!!

What to do, what to do??  The outcome was that I just bit the bullet, tolerated the sprouting hairs, and eventually (a couple months!!) was back to normal.  But obviously it was a lesson I have never forgotten!

hehehehehe, I'm glad I made the mistake of typing tailors instead of hairstylists :lol: now I got to hear that interesting (and a little funny :P ) which is full of lessons! nobody should close thier eyes at times like those :D

but you can always go to professional ones who show you catalogs and make you choose what hairdo your looking for, and suprisingly they do it without making you look like Big Mama! XD kidding.

but I won't argue here, it's a lady's thing and I'm not "NO" place at all to stand and advise.. :rolleyes:

Salman

Hey Salman,

How bout you let me give that beard of yours a little trim?  (wahhhhhhhhhhh.. there is no devil graphic on this site!)

LMAO!!

I'll have to decline to that, hahaha :lol:
but seriously, does it look that bad? not that it will change my mind :P

what's devil graphics though?

Salman

You aren't familiar with the little laughing devil face in yahoo??  It's the perfect emoticon at times ;)

Hi Alliecat,
I will be glad to help you find a good beauty salon for you.
Just tell me what kind of hair cut/style you want beacuse as you can see riyadh is full of beauty salons but only few of them can give what u r looking for.
:)

EXACTLY, Dodee!

See, Salman?  Dodee understands!

Basically I just want a good trim but I need somebody with up-to-date skills; for instance, a hair stylist who knows how to 'texturize' when cutting.

ok girls this is your game, in "that" field I aint even a novice. :P

Salman

I take a haircut once a month at the local barber sa,loon close to my place on exit 7. he uses a No 4 blade on the machine and runs it all over my head and in just 3 minutes my head looks like a nicely trimmed tennis ball similar to the US marines. makes me happy the whole month through.

no drying worries
no combing or brushing headaches
no bad hair days during snadstorms
...and it feels so good when i hit my cool pillow at nite

Why cant the ladies be cool n simple like us men?

A question for you, musicman.

Would YOU date a woman with a tennis ball for a head?!

Yesssss... just what I thought :P

lol

ROFL .. :lol:

Well, I wouldnt reject it outright at the outset just as much as I wouldnt reject one that was available with a woman with curly locks. Its whats inside that matters.

yes yes .. of course.. that's what we all say, isn't it? ;)

for sure, but some of us say and do, too....
seek and you will find!

HAIR UPDATE:  Okay, I went to the hair stylist last night, she was only a little bit backed up, and did a superior job cutting my hair (I actually went with a new look as opposed to just a trim and am very pleased with what she did).

Plus, an unexpected bonus:  the girl who does the wash gives a 15 minute scalp massage!  I could have fallen asleep it was so incredibly relaxing!

awright, post your new pic with the new look :D

well judge it :P

:P

btw.. where have you been ?!?

sorry, work asked my hand for marriage, im confused, lol!

too busy at the office, they even asked for us on weekends, support jobs are so hectic, but I'm happy as long as I'm learning :lol:

and the hairdo is NICE! your looking great ;)

so, are you up for some Saudi Adventure? *giggle*

Saudi adventure? *perk*  What's the plan?

lets start simple, how about the first dangerous encounter in a ... Restaurant ... *sound effects : thunder*

how about coming thursday? you have three choices;

Steak House, Korean Palace, Traditional Saudi Restaurant..

hmmmm, you figure Sans70 might wana join us?

anywayz, ball's in yer court ;)

Salman

Well, peeps, Salman seems convinced that mixed company is okay (and he's the one who'll get the 300 lashes, anyway hehe) so I am game but there's got to be other females so it appears to be a group of colleagues.

And, I vote for the Steak House (do they have prime rib?!).

oops... it might be good to get this OUT of my 'hairstylist' thread :D and into your meetup thread, Salman!

hmm, good idea.. ;)

Time's a wastin' !

Is this a go?  Or is it a 'no' ?

I bet AllieCat would like to eat Fish? Howe about Fish n Chips on Tahliya Street?

noooooooooooooo.. I want a big fat steak!

LOL! :lol:

although we should be talking about this in the expat club, I suppose its OK here since it's a new experience for you, and this is your thread anyway :P
Steak house holds two votes now, :D

it's a go from here, I'll P'M ya with Details. since its your night out, your welcome to invite any one along ;)

Salman

Salman,

Get this into your 'expat club' thread!!  We need to attract more people!  Where's the those who were saying they were so gung-ho to meet?  We need another female or two!

OK, then let it be said that it will only be  a big fat STEAK for the Puddy Tat.....

LOL! :lol:

Musicman will be accused of murder if he keeps making me laugh like that :D

ok ok, I'll put something in that thread as well.

Hi hun, i just sent u an email....did u get it? Helga

Alliecat wrote:

Okay, I've been here a couple months and my hair is needing a trim.

The expats in my compound use the same stylist who has a shop in a different compound, but from what I hear she is disorganized, always running late, and a haircut/blowdry can take half a day because she overbooks, etc.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Hey u all....i just joined few min ago, so not sure how to use this page yet....anyway, i might relocate to jeddah as a hairstylist. I been in Dubai last 8yrs working as a freelancer and just got offer few days ago. i am meeting the spa peeps tomorrow, so will have more detail....as for now, i would like to find out bout me as a single woman moving there.....not so sure how it would be.....:rolleyes::/

Hi Hairstylist,

I did get it and did reply!  As for relocating to the Magic Kingdom, as I said in my email, if you're going to come here, Jeddah seems to be the best place for a single female as it's nowhere near as conservative as Riyadh.

Just be sure you're well paid and that housing is included (and find out what kind of housing!  You don't want to be put up in some cheesey hotel.)

Keep us informed!

OK I know this is late, but I just thought that it would probably still be helpful for future trims or haircuts. Try Al-manahil center at the DQ. I had a haircut & a blowdry. I came out beyond pleased with everything from the atmosphere to the service. It's pricier than most other places but trust me it's worth it.

wouwww what a participation.. in the list..

Alliecat.. why you are not looking something adventurous ! there is a huge joy for you, I thing that is what you are missing here..

Go to any saloon ( I heard that many on 3rd floor of the MAll under the Memleke ( sky scraper of Riyadh )).. Let your destiny to show your way...

and finally ! You can share it with us :)

I wish i could help u regarding the hair thingy but i m not quite into it.i know few places as my friend visit their more than often.Its near my place.I am going to Dammam early morning but i can arrange something for Friday or any other day u want.I will be more than happy to do it for u...hey what about ya Dentist appointment,did ya visit some where?

Hey thanks for the tips but you know, I've been pretty happy with the British woman whom I  went to initially.

Alisan, what do you consider 'pricey'?  It's hard to figure that out here--pricey compared to local? pricey compared to 'home'?

And aticus.

aticus..aticus..aticus.  What are we to do with you?  Hold you down and shave YOUR head for an adventure ?!? lol

Closed