Getting tesol/tefl certificates...

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to get a TESOL/TEFL Certificate here in Vietnam...is there any suggestions, recommendations where and what school to possibly inquire and get the certificate? I prefer schools near district 7. I've been searching the internet and seen some... but haven't decided yet...please share your info this will be a big help:)

Thank you!

gheralldz

There's another thread going on the topic here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=179469

Please join us on Sunday at the English club we're putting together.  I'll gladly answer any questions you, or any other prospective ESL teacher may have.  You could also get a little taste of teaching, if you wanted to.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=179239

This thread is from 2012  :)

Peter Jones 007 wrote:

Hi guys,
I can help you with 120 hour classroom-based, accredited TEFL certificate (no course required). PM me for more details.

Peter Jones 007 wrote:

Hi guys,

I can help you with 120 hour classroom-based, accredited TEFL certificate (no course required). PM me for more details.

Hi Peter!
How much does TEFL certificate cost? Or the other certificates as well..
Thanks!

A couple of hundred dollars or thereabouts! But there are many to choose from, some rubbish and some awesome. Unfortunately there are a lot of crap courses/certificates about... You need to be careful which you choose...

For a couple of hundred dollars you're going to get an online crap certificate.

Not necessarily. Some online TEFL courses are perfectly suitable for new teachers and give a lot.

Is that why there are so many warnings about them online, how do you get  hands on classroom experience doing an online course.

On a side note, I have friends who do fantastic at the theory, throw them into a classroom and they sink.

You are right in that there are warnings about them online. There are also people who've taken a course and benefited greatly from them. It's not possible, in my opinion, to blanket condemn an entire industry. Fifteen years ago there was a lot of resistance to online courses but these days they've been embraced by even the most traditional schools and universities, etc, who offer them.

But also because they are easy to set up we do find a lot of pretty rubbish courses are there on the bandwagon. It's a matter of sorting through the courses to find ones which are worthwhile.

As for teaching practice, this is offered in some online courses. It's usually done through video where the trainee videos themself in a lesson and this is assessed by the tutors.

(By the way, I've known some appalling teachers who have been qualified up to the hilt!)

You can buy genuine certificates for USD$30.

It's the Vietnamese way.

1500 Dollars it cost me for a one month course 4 years ago... Add them on facebook and find out more,  (Tesol Course Vietnam) it was a pretty good course and there in district 3 dho,,

Best of luck