Life of job seekers in Norway

Your post was interesting Hiroshima.

I do have a job in Norway. And I will tell you how I got it:
1. I was very, very lucky.
2. I had learned Norwegian. (my Norwegian boyfriend supported me for 6 months while I learned the language and searched for a job. Without this support I wouldn't have made it in Norway.)
3. A family member recommended me at her place of work, and because of this I was able to get my foot in the door there.

This is what it takes to survive in Norway. Its more or less impossible if you come to Norway alone, not knowing the language and without a job...

THANK YOU

let me tell when i come in norway can i get resident permit immediately or what the process

thank u

All questions have only one answer Dont waste your time and money....

Thanks

Hi Everyone!
This is Bhavadeep from Vadodara, Gujarat, India...
I am Diploma in Electrical Engineering worked as an Electrician and applied for Job Seeker visat to Norway. Does the visa applicant has to find the job of his own field (i.e. Electrical in my case) in first 6 months?

Hi All,

I'm new to Expact forum and thinking about moving to Norway. I have been to Norway for a total of three months over the past two years, with my girlfriend who is from Oslo. I have three associate degrees in the Information Technology field. My main question is how hard is it to get a job? I know how to speak a little Norwegian, and understand a little Norwegian when its not spoken fast. I would also like to add that I have been looking for jobs in the Oslo area.

I really enjoy reading about other peoples struggles and success at finding a job in Norway.

Tusen Takk,

FallenHoot

Yes Prem, it is easier for Europeans to get a visa to India than for Indians to get visas to European countries

I do however think that Norway is better for Indians than Australia is - Canada is good for Indians too

Prem: It is true that Norwegian employers will be concerned about an Indian master degree, but I must say most Norwegians are good and they like like people of all races, religions and colours - except those who vote for the far right-wing political parties...

prem2012 i totally agree with many of your points....
first of all i wanna say i came to norway with a family visa (i married a norwegian) so i dont have problems living here.... but i do have problems finding a job..

im from mexico and have higher education... i took the norwegian course from the univ of oslo and got only A's... and still it's pretty difficult... and most of all frustrating

in my own country im much above average, i mean i know several languages and i got really good grades in my studies... the problem is that they dont trust the studies from other countries (maybe just europe i dont know), and of course they dont bother on checking them (i understand them, i mean why should they when they have planty of other jobbseekers with background they know?)... and the fact i got A in my norwegian course is not much compared to a native, of course im lacking a f*ckin lot still, though with time i hope this will be a smaller and smaller problem... my other disadventage is that i dont have much job experience, maybe if i had 5-10 years it'd be different..

another thing i dont know if someone mention is that they do also discriminate because of your name... it sounds very foreigner, why bother on even open the application if we have like 50 other... and there's been studies on this, same person look for the job twice, one with one norwegian name, one with non-norwegian.... and guess who they called to? even though this of course is against the law (like discriminating because of sex) how can anyone prove it?

of course i might only be unlucky, but i know some people also from latinamerica who arent lucky either...

i love many things about norway and many norwegians i know are very nice.... but this isnt one of these things

thanks for reading :) and good luck whatever u decide to do

I will say after the research about Norway . Don't waste your Time and Money for this country.

There are certain professions/fields in which if you are good/have qualifications, employers will fight for you. Such as healthcare (it is really terrible here), or for example land-/site-/quantity- surveyors. BUT you will need the knowledge of norwegian, or at least some other scandinavian language. Norway is a small country. No wonder they insist on using norwegian language.

Other jobs are available for those who are not afraid of working manually or getting their hands dirty, such as in fishing industry, or chamber maids, cleaners, or construction workers. Those you can easily get with the knowledge of english language.

hi everybody i have submitted my application in june but i havent got my visa yet. lucky have got yours.....

Yes there are many foreigners employed in the health sector in Norway - especially elderly people's home, and it seems they are constantly looking for more people in this sector since the government is willing to spend money on it and the population is growing older.

I know a couple of foreigners who are working in this sector as "Sykepleier" I think they are called.

ThisFieldIsRequired wrote:

There are certain professions/fields in which if you are good/have qualifications, employers will fight for you. Such as healthcare (it is really terrible here), or for example land-/site-/quantity- surveyors. BUT you will need the knowledge of norwegian, or at least some other scandinavian language. Norway is a small country. No wonder they insist on using norwegian language.

Other jobs are available for those who are not afraid of working manually or getting their hands dirty, such as in fishing industry, or chamber maids, cleaners, or construction workers. Those you can easily get with the knowledge of english language.

Thisfieldisrequired: By the way where is that photo taking?

Is it in Petra?

new_in_norway wrote:

Thisfieldisrequired: By the way where is that photo taking?

Is it in Petra?

Well, it's quite possible this will be deleted as "off topic", but it is in the USA. A slot canyon, called Spooky Gulch :).

Thisfield: Oh yes of course - Grand Canyon! :D

new_in_norway wrote:

Close, but not quite :).

Damn is there more than one "Canyon" ?

But it's definately not Petra in Jordan where Indiana Jones was filmed :P

ThisFieldIsRequired wrote:
new_in_norway wrote:

Close, but not quite :).

Yepp, there are more than one canyon in the US.:P

Hey !
I'm Moroccan man and i want to apply for Skilled jobseekers visa, i have Master degree in human rights and international humanitarian law, and i have experience of work for 6 months in one organization.., please does 6 months of experience it's enough ?

Thanks.

According to your opinion no body should go to foreign country.

People, sorry to be disturbing, but please DON'T come to Norway!! The reason that migrations gives this jobhunter visas is because they want to portrait themselves as "foreign friendly" to the world... The norwegian language is NOT a requirement, that is a lie. It all depends where you come from. If you are from northern europe, you have a lot of chances finding work here, even with a basic norwegian. If you are from other places in the world, your chances are very slim (unless you are Bill Gates, and I imagine nobody here is... if you were, why would anyone want to move to Norway?). Now... everyone has the right to choose who they work with or not, and it is true, nobody is forcing you to come to Norway. But I am distressed about the level of lies and deceits that foreigners receive in Norway. If you come here, you MUST know this. Don't believe this government's lies about a fantastic economy. Norway is great, but only for a few... Those who are "ethnical norwegians" or descent from a long line of norwegians. Even those who ARE norwegians but from foreign background get unfair treatment and have difficulties in the job market. This is not America, where if you work hard and are honest you will get somewhere. It is all about contacts and bloodline. If, now knowing this, you still want to come, you are welcome. Don't obsess yourselfs and try to enjoy the adventure. Peace for all!!

am an expatriate.
I am Indian, and I am now living in Norway. I am currently in Oslo.

Hi,i want to ask how now life in Norway and or was hard to find job there?
Thank you for answer.
Good luck

[Moderated]

Thank you,that share your experience.
Good luck

Hi,for me not need visa.

Hi,we are young couple from Romania,no children and we want to live and work in Norwey for a time.I searched a lot on work sites but nothing they do not trust us although we are earnest and determined.We speak little English, husband is qualified as a plumber and has 12 years experience in the field.Wife is not qualified but she do a good job as a housekeeper or childcare or elderly people.Who can help us we will remains forever grateful.If you want to know more about us  write message and then we see at facebook.

I've been here a month now, and am nothing but frustrated, but I'm not a quitter.

I've easily handed in more than 40+ CVs and sent in excess of 100+ emails, only a handful have had the courtesy to reply to me. Despite having the experience, the issue seems to be language- even though I've been teaching myself for 7 months and am taking 3 lessons a week whilst here. I just wish they wouldn't tar us all under the same umbrella.

I'm incredibly hurt with a recent experience. Went for a job interview last Monday, got invited for a job trial on the Thursday, worked from 15:00-23:30 with no breaks whatsoever, and even better, no pay! I was happy to go along with this as it showed my willingness and dedication for my work that I do. The employer called me on Friday and invited me in to talk yesterday as she wanted to come to some "arrangements" with me...I was ecstatic, I honestly thought I got something.

Went in yesterday, and she showered me with praise, what I did, I did brilliantly and efficiently, I'm a wonderful person and I'm reliable, but, she chose somebody else and couldn't offer me anything.

I had never felt more low in my entire life; and the fact she called me in just to tell me no, despite wanting to "arrange" something...I'm hurt, I feel incredibly led on.

Is so a pity to know what to do at job and no one will give you a chance.I am so determined to live and work in Norway or somewhere in Europe with my wife because children have not yet but nobody trusts us even for a probationary period.Of times many i wish to given up c.v apply but i not have a job and is very hard to live.

I see all around me that it is hard for foreigners to establish themselves here in Norway. It hasn't been easy for me despite the fact I have had work almost the whole time I have been here.

It is expensive to live in Norway off income from part time work. There is also a housing shortage in Oslo which makes accommodation expensive and difficult to secure if you do not have a permanent job.

I know several people who have remained in Norway between 6-months to 1 year before they are forced to leave due to lack of success.

I have been very lucky. I knew Swedish before I came to Norway. My Swedish partner had Norwegian friends and although I could only work for 6 months at a time for each employer on a working holiday visa these friends helped me to secure part time/semi permanent jobs in cafes and day care centers.

After 1.5 years my visa was about to expire and I finally felt I knew enough Norwegian to do my professional job from home. So I applied for some jobs in my field. I managed to get a job and I really love it. The thing is, I know now there were no Norwegian applicants for my job. I was just the best applicant of around 10-20 foreigners.

Good luck everyone!

I should probably add that in my field local experience is hugely relevant and written language/complex understanding of the local language is a large component of the job. It would therefore have been logical for a Norwegian with any experience to have been chosen over me.

hello i have been reading ur blog and i would like to contact u and speak with u more about it plz if its possible try contacting me through this email [email protected]

because i wont be getting back to this page again please try to contact because i am looking forward to go to oslo and would like to get many informations

thank you

I know it's not so easy to find a job in Norway.

I send my CV in Norway through NAV website since the last year. No job found until now, but I received some answers (never received them in Italy after sending CV in 11 years...).

I can speak norwegian, but not so good: I've studied norwegian at the University here in Italy. Last year, to get the possibility to speak norwegian every day, I worked as volunteer in 2 farms near Oslo. Very nice experience.

I try again to send my CV, but I want to try to live in Oslo for 3 months and search a job directly there. Is it a good idea?

About feedback for Filipinos job seekers, do we experience the same treatment or experiences with our Indian brothers? Want to hear feed backs coz I am on process of resident permit visa. Hope to hear from your experiences? Thanks so much.

Hi prem,
U absolutely right about Norway. U know what people should not come Norway from India.
Norway is very expensive country to live. A medium size pizza cost25$.
Lots of jobs in India now as its economy is doing better then Norway.
I think u agree with me, don't u.

i am a boy.i have 18 years old
and i love Oslo Norway
i love to work and study there
i have enough confidence that what other people do in 1 year
i can do in 3 or 4 months
similarly mostly people get training to be a pilot
they become in minimum 3 or 4 years
i can challenge that if you give me a chance i can be in maximum 1 year
it's not proud sir
it's my confidence
because i am in Pakistan
so that's why here if you don't have too much enough money like 40 lakes minimum you can't be a pilot
And i'm sure sir if you give me chance i will never disappoint you
please sir just give me a 1 chance and see what i do for you
sir this is my personal contact number if you ever feel that i deserve for Norway then must call me
i will wait for you sir
thanks and good bye

sir this my contact number 00923416547307
And my real name is Raheel Aslam

just a reminder in case anyone is not aware: Norway stopped offering the job seeker visa earlier this year. This thread is therefore referring to a visa status that is no longer possible!

I suggest we close this thread.

-done-

Closed