Yucatan for Six Months...suggestions?

My fiancee and I will be getting married in December and immediately heading to Yucatan for 5 or 6 months to just hang out.  We're looking for suggestions on the following: 

*Accommodation - We would like to rent a small cozy place in a non-touristy locale for not so much money.  We want to be someplace where we can hone our Spanish and plug in to a local community.  We don't need anything fancy.  Just electricity, plumbing and a nice view.  Isla Holbox and Isla Mujeres look interesting (though I don't know if those places are tourist draws) but we're open to any place in the Yucatan, island or mainland.   We just want someplace quaint and relaxing so we can "get away from it all" for a few months.  Suggestions? 

*Activities - We're thinking it might be cool to get part-time jobs to occupy a bit of our time.  Money isn't as much of a concern as finding something that's fun and interesting.  It might be cool to work with a local coop, or a tourism development org. or a community center or something like that.  Maybe help run a little family-owned resort or manage someone's business when they go away on vacation...something like that.  The goal is to do something fun and interesting with our time.  Suggestions? 

*Locale - What are some places that would be fun to live in for a few months?  The information above should give a bit of an idea as to what we're looking for.  We'd like to find ourselves in a place that has a rich, authentic culture and a laid back, relaxed pace of life.  If you didn't live where you do, where would you like to live in the Yucatan.  Or where would you like to spend 6 months if you had the time? 

Thanks for reading and thanks for replying, if you end up doing so. 

matt

You may want to look at the Progresso area just north of Merida. It's a lot cheaper and you can look at a web site called "Yolisto", it's for people in the Yucatan area looking for rentals, some under $400 on the beach.

I live on Isla-- it's pretty darn touristy. I don't know if that's what you're looking for. You can live in the colonias where the locals live, but you can't escape the tourism as it's basically the main source of income for the majority of the people here. It's also a bit more expensive to live here as compared to other places.
It's a beautiful place, awesome beaches, great weather!.. If you were looking for a job you guys could probably find jobs in the restaurants or as hostesses, I see a lot of non permanent (and permanent) residents doing things like that. There are also plenty of charity organizations where you could volunteer your time, there is an english school, working with the local vet, or working at the school for underprivileged/disabled children.. of course these things wouldn't pay they are strictly volunteer.
When you say are you looking for a place with a nice view does that mean you want an ocean view? Here on Isla that would run you kind of a lot of money per month.
If you have any other questions just let me know!

Ola Senora  I am Canadian older  guy coming down in Dec. Went to Isla 30 yrs ago!! wow time flys. I was interested in rentals or pposada there for a while. What area of town would you recommend for economical rentals . Views are not critical I can just walk to beach !  Gracis Philipe