How to find workers in Vietnam ...

Im looking for staff in a bar/cafe

What is the best way to find staff with good english? Is it best to advertise on the Internet, newspaper, advertise at a university, go to a job agency, or go directly to the Mekong lol

Steven

There are a lot of students who would be ready to work for you if you pay them the appropriate salary.

Employing part time and students for cash is best, reduces the paperwork. If you bothered to get a company set up properly you will need to pay YOUR taxes and employee at least on person to whom you pay proper wages and social taxes obligations.

People will be by to collect their bribes when they see how your business is going. These payments allow your patrons to park illegally, etc. In New York you have the Mafia selling protection, here you have the Cong An. Better learn from Foreign competitors what the going rate is.

You have a wholesale account with Metro yet?

BTW, to find staff, just stick a notice on a board outside your place or in your window, IN ENGLISH, which will act as your first filter for language. Have a ready supply of application forms and ask, on the form, when they can work during he week.

No good hiring people who all have to quit to go home and sleep at the same time.

Hello Steven,
Please send your job requirements (part-time, full-time, working hours, working shifts... working location, address) and compensation offer package to e-mail: [email protected]
Thanks,
Ocean

Hi Steven,
I think u should employ part-time students,especially,students who have major in english.Of course,they have to be trained for some days before working.u can put ur recruitment information on the forums of some universities.
just let me know if u need any help:)

Hi Steven, I invite you to post an advert in the section Jobs in HCMC, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

Harmonie wrote:

Hi Steven, I invite you to post an advert in the section Jobs in HCMC, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

The web site audience is predominantly non-VNese. Not so effective.

Steven, I think even students with fluent english won't do a 6,7-day-job with 3 Mio/Month salary. Perhaps an adequate payment would attract more hard-working students with good english knowledge ;)

rojamin wrote:

Steven, I think even students with fluent english won't do a 6,7-day-job with 3 Mio/Month salary. Perhaps an adequate payment would attract more hard-working students with good english knowledge ;)

Yep, a student needs to earn twice the countries average income.

Had one here, 4 years studied and about 2 kg of diplomas, including advanced English and printouts from Yahoo answers.

My wife hat to translate the whole interview, apart from hello, there was nothing English and he wanted 12 Million VND per month.
It took him still about 20 minutes, to retype a Vietnamese address, 2 errors inclusive, which was part of a test for the job.
After about 30 minutes in total, the guy left, without even saying a word.

I bet, for 50 Million, he would have at least the interview (timely) completed.

The best way that make an AD and stick out side your place

l3ully wrote:
rojamin wrote:

Had one here, 4 years studied and about 2 kg of diplomas, including advanced English and printouts from Yahoo answers.

My wife hat to translate the whole interview, apart from hello, there was nothing English and he wanted 12 Million VND per month.
It took him still about 20 minutes, to retype a Vietnamese address, 2 errors inclusive, which was part of a test for the job.

the country's income on papers says nothing at all, do you seriously think they survive on that amount of money? Have you ever thought about how many centuries it would take for ppl here to buy expensive cars and villas?

It comes to an eternal problem, you found wrong ppl for wrong jobs. We're not comfortable to talk about politic on here but I would like to let you know that we too are very displeased and frustrated about the fact that ppl with knowledge and have no money to bribe usually have to work for inadequate salary and 'some ppl' without any degrees become managers, CEO, head of everything. Get used to it and find the right person, and pay him good!!!
but it's easy to see that you're counting exceptions. At least I can guaranty there're more ppl out there who exceed your wife's english and have specified professional talent

Chinhngo wrote:

The best way that make an AD and stick out side your place

Steven,

That is probably your best bet. 

I haven't been to a bar here in awhile.  But, if I remember correcty, the type of employees who thrive here are often not college material.

You might also want to check out the nearby "nha tros."  There is where most of the migrant workers live.  Check with the staffs there and see if you can get them to hook you up with a few. 

Good luck,
Howie

Anna Vo, why are you looking for a job ?? lol
Jaitch, yeah good point, i need to get some application forms ...
MrOcean75, I wil send you the job requirements …
Cachua_Anna, thank you for your offer …
Harmonie, there is no harm giving it a go lol
Belongtothis, sure you can help, what do you have in mind ??
Rojamin, your right, but people should think of the potential to make money, learn and develop your english

Hey Wild1,

Yes your right, a lot of the best bar girls come from your town I hear lol
I have never heard about Nha tros before, that sounds like a really good idea.

Steven.

l3ully wrote:

What's the job you offer? for some technical , IT ... employee like above is not rare, cos they have there own knowleage.

But for the rest of business like sale marketing, cleark, finance...like me . I'm just 2 yrs graduated , C English, but satisfy with 6mil job. Don't jugde so quick

sghsaigon wrote:

people should think of the potential to ... meet a foreign bf....

Come on man. Is it how you think of your staff's motivation is/should be by taking your job, even if it is/were true? Am I too thin-skinned to find it offensive here?

Hi Steven,

I do know someone else who was been into f&B industry. He speaks english well, motivated and a team leader ( who could also help other vietnamese employees to excel on their job... he is not in hcm yet but he is about to move here very soon...Please send your job requirements (part-time, full-time, working hours, working shifts... working location, address) and compensation offer package to my [email protected]. If you think this might help you don't hesitate!

Thank you!

gheralldz

Anatta wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

Come on man. Is it how you think of your staff's motivation is/should be by taking your job, even if it is/were true? Am I too thin-skinned to find it offensive here?

no Anatta dear, youre not too sensitive, actually I'm thinking the same thing but I didn't say it out loud :D but I think my friend Steven just had a slip of the lips

Anatta wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

Yeah, what the hell was that all about, Steven?  Is that how you really run your ship?  Be very careful, my friend, running aground here will not be fun!

Wild_1 wrote:
Anatta wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

Yeah, what the hell was that all about, Steven?  Is that how you really run your ship?  Be very careful, my friend, running aground here will not be fun!

am I now too sensitive to find it ironic here? :rolleyes:

I don't think my sense of humor was detected lol

I meant Wild_1 was ironic having written the critics against u :)

Peace guys!! Cheers!

Its ok sghsaigon!! I got your joke!! I lost my sensibility from the day I became a fan of 9gag!! :))

What kind of work are you offering?? ALL students in my class get 6.5 or above for IELTS, so you may not want to miss us!! :))

unei_nguyen wrote:

Its ok sghsaigon!! I got your joke!! I lost my sensibility from the day I became a fan of 9gag!! :))

What kind of work are you offering?? ALL students in my class get 6.5 or above for IELTS, so you may not want to miss us!! :))

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is IELTS ?? i would love to meet your class lol

Steven

Are you serious?? :thanks:
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It is the world's number one English language test, taken by over 1 million people every year from across the world.
Taking an IELTS test will help to open doors to international education and employment all over the globe. Moreover, candidates with high scores are particularly sought after by universities and employers in English-speaking countries.
IELTS is scored on a nine-band scale, with each band corresponding to a specified competence in English. Overall Band Scores are reported to the nearest half band.
The nine bands are described as follows:
9 : Expert User    - Has full operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.
8 : Very Good User - Has full operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
7 : Good User - Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriateness and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.
6 : Competent User - Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.
5 : Modest user    - Has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.
4 : Limited User - Basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in using complex language.
3 : Extremely Limited User - Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations.
2 : Intermittent User - No real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs.
1 : Non User - Essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words.
0 : Did not attempt the test - No assessable information provided at all.

Sources: Internet!! :P

Dear Steven,

I have 2 year manage coffe shop,

can you give me your email, phone...

i can doing that.

Thanks

henry-ty wrote:

i can doing that.

IELTS 3.0 due to unei_nguyen's corresponding scale

unei_nguyen wrote:

Are you serious?? :thanks:
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It is the world's number one English language test, taken by over 1 million people every year from across the world.
Taking an IELTS test will help to open doors to international education and employment all over the globe. Moreover, candidates with high scores are particularly sought after by universities and employers in English-speaking countries.
IELTS is scored on a nine-band scale, with each band corresponding to a specified competence in English. Overall Band Scores are reported to the nearest half band.
The nine bands are described as follows:
9 : Expert User    - Has full operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.
8 : Very Good User - Has full operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
7 : Good User - Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriateness and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.
6 : Competent User - Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.
5 : Modest user    - Has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.
4 : Limited User - Basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in using complex language.
3 : Extremely Limited User - Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations.
2 : Intermittent User - No real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs.
1 : Non User - Essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words.
0 : Did not attempt the test - No assessable information provided at all.

Sources: Internet!! :P

I'm sorry, English is my first language and i got into University straight from school, i have been unaware of IELTS ...

henry-ty, only problem is that you live in Da Nang lol

Unei Nguyen,

Those of us who grow up in English speaking countries do not need to take that type of test.  Even when we have to gauge our English proficiency, we will take a very different test. 

The one that you are refering to is for those whom English is not the primary language.

Boasting about high IELTS score is like hearing foreigners bragging to Vietnamese about having studied Vietnamese language one year at CSU Fullerton.

Most will say: CSU is what? Besides, who cares where you have learned Vietnamese if your Vietnamese is still not understandable?

Anatta wrote:

Most will say: CSU is what? Besides, who cares where you have learned Vietnamese if your Vietnamese is still not understandable?

Agree, but I would assume for non-native-speakers, anyone scores 8.0 and above in an IELTS must be an advanced english user. IELTS covers most language skills (serves as language qualification for academical purposes) unlike TOEIC and others.

sghsaigon wrote:

I'm sorry, English is my first language and i got into University straight from school, i have been unaware of IELTS ...

Wild_1 wrote:

Unei Nguyen,

Those of us who grow up in English speaking countries do not need to take that type of test.  Even when we have to gauge our English proficiency, we will take a very different test. 

The one that you are refering to is for those whom English is not the primary language.

Now that's understandable!! Most of those native English speakers I know are English teachers so they know what IETLS is. I, therefore, thought that people all around the world know IELTS!! :sosad:

rojamin and unei_nguyen

We are getting off topic here, but I can assure you if you talk about the technicalities of the IELTS (or TOEIC or TOEFL), most native speakers (and even non-native speakers) will draw a complete blank. You may get better understanding speaking Klingon!!!

Anatta wrote:

rojamin and unei_nguyen

We are getting off topic here, but I can assure you if you talk about the technicalities of the IELTS (or TOEIC or TOEFL), most native speakers (and even non-native speakers) will draw a complete blank. You may get better understanding speaking Klingon!!!

Oh I thought that people working in HR should have known IELTS, TOEIC or TOEFL exp. when they were employing non-native English speakers so that they could choose the right employees.

Sorry for driving the topic to a different path!! :P

unei_nguyen wrote:

Oh I thought that people working in HR should have known IELTS, TOEIC or TOEFL exp. when they were employing non-native English speakers so that they could choose the right employees.

Since we are going completely off topic here, I don't want further discussion thus I am not going to open the can of worms you mentioned above!!!
However, say, even if what you wrote were true, what would be the chance of a person being HR person hiring foreigners (or an university admission officer) out of 100 random persons on the street?

rojamin wrote:
henry-ty wrote:

i can doing that.

IELTS 3.0 due to unei_nguyen's corresponding scale

Romajin, don't be so quick to judge other people's english ability. First of all, like Anatta says don't put too much emphasis on that IELTS scale. There is alot of room for subjectivity. It is not an EXACT science.

I credit Henry's effort in looking for a job to better himself. Don't give up Henry! Most importantly, don't let ignorant people discourage you with negative comments.

Romajin,I've read some of your writings and I score you at a IELTS 5.0 at best. Some of the stuff you've written in the past have had grammatical mistakes, windy and difficult to understand. Just a litle constructive criticism....Regards, Me

amberlulu wrote:

Romajin,I've read some of your writings and I score you at a IELTS 5.0 at best. Some of the stuff you've written in the past have had grammatical mistakes, windy and difficult to understand. Just a litle constructive criticism....Regards, Me

and now I am discouraged by an ignorant native speaker
It's not my first language, not even my best foreign language so I'm ok with that. Anyways I'm still capable of learning, at least I take note of what's happening around me, unlike somebody who can't even write someone's name properly ;)

unei_nguyen wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

Wild_1 wrote:

Unei Nguyen,

Now that's understandable!! Most of those native English speakers I know are English teachers so they know what IETLS is. I, therefore, thought that people all around the world know IELTS!! :sosad:

I'm sorry i am not an English teacher lol