Driving from Laredo to Chapala

hi all--

We'll be driving from Laredo to Chapala at the end of the month. Any pointers for us? Customs, tags for car? bringing in our cat, that sort of thing. And especially, places to stay the night on the way!!

thanks,

--david

You must stop at the border and get a permit for your car. And don't forget to get a tourist visa at the border. I wouldn't drive after dark.  It's too hard to see foreign objects or the holes on the road. They probably won't even be interested in your cat or it's papers. I took my dog to Mex City with only vaccination papers. Nobody looked at them.

Looking for a caravan driving from Laredo, TX to Chapala Jal MX

Hi all...I've decided not to go to Mexico...did hours of research today..and saw that
corruptions is so endemic in Mexico...it's a losing battle it appears.  No offense to anyone..and
I know your president is doing the best he  can...but like the U.S...it's a huge, huge
job to tackle...everyone is on the take here in the U.S. and there.  I'm heading for
Victoria, B.C, possibly Chile (growing economy)...and perhaps Iceland...(which has kicked out the corrupt
bankers..and the title goes without saying)..
All the best to everyone...Connie

At Connie, Good-bye! Good Luck!

Iceland kicked out the bankers after Iceland took out loans and invested in the shadiest things around.
That's corruption like no country has done before.
Just wanted to update you on the facts.

Chile seems to be doing a good job managing.  I won't say more.

Connie2015 wrote:

Hi all...I've decided not to go to Mexico...did hours of research today..and saw that
corruptions is so endemic in Mexico...it's a losing battle it appears.  No offense to anyone..and
I know your president is doing the best he  can...but like the U.S...it's a huge, huge
job to tackle...everyone is on the take here in the U.S. and there.  I'm heading for
Victoria, B.C, possibly Chile (growing economy)...and perhaps Iceland...(which has kicked out the corrupt
bankers..and the title goes without saying)..
All the best to everyone...Connie

Sorry Connie, But I live in Mexico, and like pretty much every country on the globe. it does have some corruption all right but it is not endemic or anything like the U.S You better sit down and do a lot more research before you head to Canada. Canada's level of corruption is much closer to America than Mexico will ever be. Better look some more about possible issues in Chile also. Enjoy Iceland.

I've been in Mexico a total of almost 12 years.
For what it is worth, I would drive from Laredo to Chapala.
I'd stay overnight in Aguascalientes where there are a nice selection of international brand hotels and restaurants.
It's less than 9 hours from the border by toll road.  Always use toll roads and travel in the daytime.
Chapala is another 3-4 hours and you could actually do it in 1 day.
Take it easy and you shouldn't have a problem getting your tourist card and permit for your car.
I can't give you details on crossing the border with a car it has been many years since the last time.

gudgrief Thank you for the information, you have helped a lot. :-)

Happy to help.  Be aware and be careful.