American in Salta

Greetings, All,

I'm an American living in Salta, Argentina. I've been an expat for a couple of years and would not trade the experience for anything.

We all know life's a journey and to have the opportunity to experience so many new things is a privilege to say the least. I feel fortunate.

Hello gjd.

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Salta forum. ;)

Aurélie

Hey, gjd,
Can I ask, why you chose Salta? I'm very close to moving to ARG myself. I work on internet, so can basically go anywhere... Is Internet fast and reliable in Salta?
Thanks in advance.

Hey 3,

I had a friend who invited me to visit Salta and have found it to be a wonderful place to live. It's just large enough to offer all the amenities one would wish for. The surrounding province is spectacular in its beauty. I work strictly online too and the Internet here has been every bit as good as the States. Take a close look at your cost of living though, because inflation is rampant right now at around 25%. It's more or less the same as the American Midwest now. If you can absorb that it is absolutely worth it!

3, I'm more than happy to answer any further questions you may have too.

Thanks for responding so quickly.
Judging by the pics, Salta and its surroundings remind me of our South-West, beautiful.
Inflation... as long as you're paid in USD, the local paper can inflate all it wants, unless I'm missing something...
What internet provider would you recommend and how long it takes have it up and running? Do you need DNI for that or passport is fine?
Thanks again.

I'm not sure about getting Internet set up. It was set up already when I came. Sure it's doable though. Inflation is inflation and, yes, while your dollars buy more pesos, the official exchange rate of around 4.5/1 (what you can get out of the ATM) does not keep up with actual inflation which is at around 25% for the past 2 years.

Thanks a lot. Let me think about something else to ask. I'll pm you if anything.