New and reaching out for advice & friends

I just arrived in town, 27 year old American male, first time in country, working for an int'l insurance broker, looking for housing advice and friends. Please post below or contact me at 055-891-3706.

1. place to live - HELP?!

If you can suggest a compound or short-term rental space that has the following, that'd be most welcome:

a. a place with friendly folks, preferably some that are english speakers/my age, and preferably a place that has families and not only single guys.
b. near the corniche.
c. has a quality gym, pool, laundry, food amenities.

Can a guy in my position rent a single room from a family living in a compound, i.e. a compound that may have no single rooms to rent but a family there would rent me one room in there place?

Is living outside of a compound feasible? I've done so in many other countries in the region... If so, any suggestions on locales within a half-mile of the Corniche?

My company placed me in the Tamimi Western Compound, a fairly dreary trailer park for mostly s. asian bachelors. Company said they will place me anywhere I wish (doubtless, not the pricest of places), I only have to ask - the problem is I dont know anyone nor anything about any other compounds or room rentals. Hence, your help!

2. Friends

Hullo, is anybody out there???

I've been here 5 days and have had more luck striking up conversation with my reflection than anyone else.

Expat or local, guys or gals, youngsters or geezers... be in touch!

I'm friendly and can share a few stories while listening to your own. If you like to run along the corniche, even better.
ALSO, I'd love to get out and explore this country some, heat or no heat.

Hi well i believed you check out local classifieds you might find something with your budget i left compound it was huge i moved to camp it is fully furnished for single person.

'i left compound it was huge i moved to camp it...'

James, thanks for the response. I dont quite follow what you wrote in the above referenced text. Which compound did you leave, and what do you mean to moved to a "camp"? What is a "camp"? And which "camp"?

Also, where does one find "local classifieds"? I havent heard of or seen any local papers, except for the riyadh based Arab News...

have you seen container built furnished rooms it is called camp it is only for single status people. campound is big i stay there for a week then moved you can search in google you can find a lot classified ads or justlanded.com it is also good to give you information also.

@ Shuming!
Welcome to EB & KSA!
You need to check it locally in Khobar and you should find plenty of options depending upon your budget. It may need some time to get your friends around but once done, I am sure you will have a good time in this country...
Regards!

Well I am also being transferred to dammam and the company has said they would keep me in tamimi compound don't know how it is and what facilities it has and I don't know anyone there in that area if you are still there we can get in touch

Hello hydernasir > Thank you for your message but i would like to inform you that this is an old topic [2012]