Driving license in Ethiopia

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Ethiopia?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Ethiopia?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

My wife wants me to get a licenses to drive in addis.....i wouldnt ride my bicycle there ....we have a motor that takes us everywhere .......my wife make him eat before we go....she feeds everyone.....lol

Hi there,
If your country is presented in Ethiopia (meaning if there is an embassy) it is three steps.  I am assuming you have driving L in your country.  I had a US DL.  First i went to US embassy who certify my DL.  then i took that to the (i think) Immigration or FA office of Ethiopia. they gave me a paper to take it to Ethio DMV.  No test is required. And they issue me an Ethiopian DL. The process is simple if everything works. I had to go to DMV three times b/c their printer was not working.  The line at both DMV and FA office was really bad. 
Later, i was told that there are people you can hire to go and do the work for you if you do not want to wait in line for hours.

Thank you for both for your input! :)

Aurélie

I have an Indian license with International driving permit.Is it possible to use the same in Addis Ababa.

The only option you can do is, communicate with your wife seriously!

You can only use your homecountry license legally for one week.....
proceedure to get ethio license is well set out above.

This may help you , I referred it from http://chilot.me/
Driving license

If you hold a foreign license or international driving license, you may be granted an equivalent license in Ethiopia. A foreign license is defined as a motor vehicle driving license issued by any foreign government recognized by the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. An international driving license is any motor vehicle drivers qualification certification license issued in accordance with the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic, signed in Geneva, Switzerland, on the 19th day of September 1949

Requirements

Where a person holding a foreign or international driving license applies for an equivalent category, the Licensing body shall issue the requested license upon;

A)    ascertaining that the government which issued the driving license similarly recognizes Ethiopian drivers qualification certification license

B)    Being satisfied that the license is authenticated by the concerned body and is currently valid

C)    Receipt of the appropriate fees

(Article 15 sub article 2(b) of Drivers Qualification Certification License Proclamation No 600/2008)

Third party insurance

Foreign Registered Vehicles

A)    The driver of any foreign registered vehicle permitted to be driven on the roads of Ethiopia shall possess a valid certificate of insurance and insurance sticker or, where the insurance policy is not issued by a local insurance company, he shall produce a yellow card or an equivalent proof of Insurance coverage

B)    The insurance coverage against third party risks with respect to an accident caused by any foreign registered vehicle while driven on the Ethiopian road shall not be less than the amount of compensation specified under Article I60fthis Proclamation

(Article33 of Vehicle Insurance Against Third Party Risks Proclamation No 559/2008)

Anyone can get a Driving License in Ethiopia, if he/she has a valid Driving License of his/her country. I am from India and I also applied to get a Driving License in Ethiopia. But the information available on Indian Embassy in Ethiopia's website is not correct. On the website it is below mentioned information is posted..

Question: How do I get my Indian driving licence attested?

Answer: Personal presence of the applicant at the Embassy with the following documents:

1.    Valid passport in original and 2 photocopies (first / last and valid visa page).
2.    Original valid driving licence and its photocopy.
3.    Sworn affidavit and its photocopy, in the prescribed format. (This form has to be signed in the presence of the Consular Officer).

...which is incorrect. When I reached Indian Embassy in Addis Ababa, they asked me to send copy and original license by courier and get it attested from Ministry of External Affairs, India. They do not attest or verify the copy, even if you show then the original license.

So, if anybody (from India) wants to get a driving license in Ethiopia, need to be attested it from Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi, India.

Thanks.