Expat blog gatherings in Quito

I can't make it tomorrow. I can do next week. Should we keep it to Wednesdays? with flexible time and location?

OK...but at least two weeks in a month I travel to the field office, leaving Quito Tuesday/Wednesday and returning Friday. So, statistically, will be able to attend only 50% and actually may be much less than that!

But, if that's the majority opinion, sure, I wont object, though I will be traveling this Wednesday and already have Tuesday evening booked!

Cheers,

Thank you Liliya. I respect you too.

Not so easy coordinating these meetings.
I am normally available after 17.00 weekdays and weekends. Unfortunaltely not last weekend. if anyone want to do a new attempt...

Hello,

You should suggest a place, a date (2 or 3 weeks in advance) and time. We could then help you to organise an Expat.com meet up in Quito.

Thank you.

You making things unnecessary complicated. I can see that it is your latest tendency.

I think Christine was actually recognising the animosity building up in the thread which hasn't been helped by your last comment. I think the Admins would just prefer for everybody to get along but it seems Quito is attracting expats that don't really want to.

I met a Canadian expat recently who hates Ecuadorian food, refuses to go out after 5pm, doesn't want to learn Spanish and isn't keen on mixing with Ecuadorians..... why he is living here I have no idea but he does own three houses and a fairly expensive 4x4. There obviously seems to be a class divide within the expat group here between those with plenty of money for a leisurely lifestyle and those of us that have to work our backsides off for the next 20 years.

Liliya, go and enjoy your pastry in peace without the working classes interrupting your 'Cafe Americano'. This is the second thread out of about four I've been involved with where people can't accomodate each other or even be polite.

Maybe this is the expat attitude these days....

With all due respect, this is not about proving a point, dominating, controlling or ego. I believe what we are trying to achieve here is to meet some new people and hopefully make some new friends.

If this is the aim, then we need to be more understanding of other peoples concerns and problems and not use words, timings or places that will eliminate some. Yes, there are many other forums and even I am a member of at least four. I regularly attend their meetings and believe my life has been enriched through friends I made there.

It is for this reason that I tried to suggest a Saturday afternoon as I could understand that some of our friends here are apprehensive of meeting after sunset. However, those of us in full time jobs have an issue meeting before sunset as we do not get out of our offices until 1730 and that is the peak traffic hour in Quito. Saturday and Sunday are off days for most of us and hence we can meet during the day.

So friends, how about choosing a date on a Saturday/Sunday and a time in the afternoon or early evening? Would that be an acceptable compromise?

Saturday 5pm feels fine for me.

I reiterate, this isn't going to work in the long run unless there is a fixed monthly date, venue, and time.  If any of these three factors is not the same every month, there will be confusion and a regular monthly meeting will not take place.

Thanks. So haw about fixing a day on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday? That way every one will be happy.

Good idea.  I will fit in with whatever is finally arranged.  Russell

Thank you. As I mentioned earlier, I will now be traveling to US and Europe until 17 Nov. Does Sunday, 18 Nov sound like an ok date? If yes, kindly feel free to name a time and place.

How about every third Sunday of the month, 3pm, Cyrano coffee shop in Quicentro (Naciones Unidas entrance).  Traffic and parking should be ok on a Sunday.  If venue not okay for most people, please suggest alternative.

Hi, Thanks. Yes, it's Ok with me.

Should we try this again? How's next week?

So, whats the present status of this proposal?

Hi I moved to the city. I'm going to start a new post about meetings and let's try this again. I'm still optimistic this can work.

Hi.I am still around. Normally I am available after 5pm. If someone can suggest time and place...

Hi. Yes, Even I am willing... only after the hostility of last attempt, am not willing to take initiative... if someone goes ahead to organize, I participate and support.

Hi all: I'm out...I have other traveling plans. Enjoy,  :D Gypsy

gypsyone61 wrote:

Hi all: I'm out...I have other traveling plans. Enjoy,  :D Gypsy

So this is how it ends, eh...No replies for almost a year, and then Gypsy flies away.

cccmedia, Quito

message deleted

A rare Centro Histórico event for Expats will take place on April 30, 2015.

It would not be PC for me to reveal the details in this post so I will send you a PM about it ASAP.  OK?

Others may PM yours truly about this as desired.

cccmedia, Centro Histórico, Quito