Expat blog gatherings in Quito

Hi all!

What about meeting the other Quito Expat.com members in real life? Organizing an Expat.com meet up would be an excellent way to know them! :)

An Expat.com meet up can be a diner gathering, having coffee, a bring and share in a nice place, a cultural or sports activity, etc. There are plenty of possibilities: just imagine a pleasant way to meet new people and old friends from Expat.com.

Feel free to organize Expat.com get-togethers in Quito: you would meet the other members in a friendly atmosphere and have a good time together!

Of course, we could offer some help to organize your meet up and to inform the community.

So, who's in? Do not hesitate to start a new thread to suggest an Expat.com gathering in Quito. ;)

Best,

Julien

I would attend. I won't be there until September. If somebody gets it started I could join then.

Count me in, if it is after October 5th

Suggest a coffee shop for a starter

sure, I will be there if held in Quito.

Yep, I'll be there too. Pick a date, October seems most likely for those that have replied so far.

Somebody mentioned a coffee shop.... Coffee Tree, Plaza Foch.... Magic Bean???? Just trying to find the name of the one on the edge of Plaza de San Francisco in Centro.

Hello all.

Do not hesitate to propose a date, an hour & a place. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Sounds good to me as long as no one attempts to sell anything and it does not interfere with golf commitments.

fdmcg wrote:

Sounds good to me as long as no one attempts to sell anything and it does not interfere with golf commitments.

Attempts to sell anything?

Of course, there will be the guy outside the Coffee Tree flogging sunglasses but he's part of the fixtures... at least for the last 8 years, and with a nice gathering of foreigners it could be his lucky day :)

The place in San Francisco Sq has turned into a nice restaurant now, still got tables outside but I think it is more food orientated than just coffee and beers.

+1 vote for Coffee Tree in Plaza Foch, because I picked it and it's easy to get elsewhere if we're not all happy.

Suits me :-)

Ok guys, so will someone like to name a date and time?

Cheers,

sam.

Count me in anytime.  Would suggest a fixed monthly date such as 5pm, the second Wednesday of every month.  The venue would be more convenient for most people if in the North rather than the city centre, such as the Cyrano coffee shop in the Quicentro Mall (entrance in Naciones Unidas).  Just a suggestion.
Russell Eaton

Sure...am game for fixed date, variable date, fixed place, change every time, anything....but when and where?

Sam.

Wednesdays, 5pm and in the North all work for me. How's October 9th? Quicentro?

Sure works for me...Oct 9, 5PM, Quicentro...any specific cafe or restaurant you had in mind?

Cheers,

Sam.

October 9 is a Tuesday (not a wednesday).  To kick start this we all need to at least agree a fixed monthly date and venue.  I suggest the second wednesday of every month at 5pm at the Cyrano coffee shop in the Quicentro Mall (entrance is from Naciones Unidas).  I suggest this venue because it easy to get to and there is plenty of seating room both inside and outside.  I will be there next October 10th at 5 pm to see if anybody shows up for a chat and a coffee.  Incidentally the Cyrano also happens to be the best bakery in town.  Russell

Sounds good to me Russell....

OOPs...5PM too early for me...wont leave office before 5:30 so I suggest 6:30 PM will be more convenient...Ok with all?
Cheers,
Sam.

The meeting should ideally be during daylight for safety and other reasons, so I suggest 5pm really is the latest time.  Weekends are no good as many people have other plans.  So I suggest it needs to be weekday.  Russell

OK...you will rule out a vast majority that needs to work for a living and have office hours to confirm to followed by traffic...so not a great idea for any kind of gathering that, I belive should have the basic aim of involving more people and not of excluding them. Thank you for 5 PM. Can not make it before 6:30.

Have a good networking event sin working class.

Okidoki, so it's the 10th today, is anybody going to be in Quicentro at 5pm.... or 6.30pm.... or whatever?

I intended to go, but I have to meet someone at the airport this evening. Hope there will be a next time :-)

I'm going

joeyeggs, looks like it might just be two of us.... should we be thinking in rescheduling?

I will be there at about 6:30. I also know of at least one more who will be there.
Sam

I am bringing one maybe 2 more expats with me so I say go ahead with the plan.

As far as I know it's still on. We will be there at 5

me at 6:30

Hey samgeets, did anybody wait for you? I've got to agree with you on the traffic issue, it took me two hours to get to Quicentro from Quito Sur.

I got there at 6.40pm and Cyrano's told me they had no noticeably foreign customers in the last 90 minutes, and honestly I think anybody would remember a group of gringos with stunted Spanish skills, so thanks for waiting guys.

If anybody would like to meet at a more convenient time for those who work or don't live in the North please shout up. On the contrary to popular belief the Mariscal, though not the nicest of areas, does not suffer traffic like Carolina Park and the surrounding area. Yes, Amazonas does get a bit hectic after 4pm but there are six other roads and nine cheap car parks in the vicinity.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but quite annoying to follow up a two hour journey to find nobody at the meeting place. Blame me by all means for being late but Quicentro is not a good meeting place at 5pm unless you live next door.

We were there until 7pm. It was four (five counting my son) of us at a table. I don't know why Cyrano's would have told you that. Next time let's exchange phone numbers to avoid any confusion.

Same here...I was caught in traffic and then took me another 10 minutes to find a place to park...by the time I got there it was past 7 and of course everyone had left...We got to be more tolerant towards time and yes, exchanging phone numbers is a good idea. Lets try this again next week? After all the intention here was to meet some friends and SPEND TIME, so whats the hurry to leave, specially since Quito has such a traffic problem, parking problem and some of us have unpredictable office routine...like yesterday I could not get out of office until 6 as against 5:30 normally.

Views guys?

Which area do you work in samgeets? I usually end up in the south of Quito with occasional stints in the Mariscal when I'm not working from home (San Juan).

Is anybody else working and needs to arrange a convenient time? It's three years since I've been to Quicentro and didn't realise the traffic had got so bad after 4pm. I really would suggest that we try to find somewhere away from Carolina Park.

Hi, I actually work very close to Quicentro...my office is on the second floor of IBM building at the junction of Diego and Whymper, just about 2.5 Km from Quicentro...and it took me 45 minutes yesterday!!! I also live in the same area on La Coruña and Manual Barreto, just about 1 Km east of my office. So, while Quicentro is ok for me, but I tend to agree that Mariscal may be better from traffic and parking point of view.

Also, while I am not really a late night person, but meeting at 5 will not work for me unless is a weekend or holiday. I would prefer a time band of 06:30 to 8:30 if its ok with others...I do not mind giving a ride home to someone that does not have a car and is worried from security/safety point of view due to the late hour on return.

Hi guys. We would have happily waited but really did not think anybody else was going to show. Also, it was past dinner for most of us and Cyrano's does not have a dinner menu. I live North of Quito so anywhere if going to be far but I can get an earlier start to avoid traffic. I really don't mind switching locations up as I would like to see more of the city.

Great! I am being selfish here, of course, but very close to my house is "Coffee and Sweets" on Gonzalez Suarez. I love the coffee they serve. Very close is also a sushi bar and some great bakeries...do you think it will be good to meet up at one of those, or would you like to suggest another place?

knock, knock...anyone home???

Samgeets,
This is not going to work unless the venue is on the same day every month, in the same location, and the meeting is in daylight hours.  Without these three ingredients, this issue is a lost cause.
Russell

Dear Russel, Thank you for your opinion. I humbly disagree. We do not have to be bored with the same venue everytime, specially since some of us did not find it very suitable for many different reasons. Time has to be flexible and no one here needs to be in bed by sunset. We live in a cosmopolitan city and all of us do venture out after dark.

Is anyone else with me?

Yes, I am ready for a coffee and coffee talk. I have localized the place and it's Ok with me. Or in the Mariscal if it's more suitable for the gang. This week wednesday/thursday?

Generally i agree with same day every month, but not necesarily same place. (Even if it's less need for organization if it is same place and same time every month).

Espen

How about Saturday this week (20 Oct) at 5 PM, Coffee tree, Foch?

Last call for Saturday 20 Oct 5 PM, Coffee Tree at Foch...any takers?