Few Tips for Commuting in Delhi

if you are not aware much of delhi places, people and culture/trend and are totally new to the city, the main concern for me will be safety, be it any city.

traveling:

Priority - Night Travelling / First Time - Branded Cabs
please ensure you have the decent and branded cab services if you are hitting moon after the party and want to go home or are too late in night. Few are: 011-41414141 (Mega Cabs), 011-42424242, 011-44224422. Always keep a card with your residential address in it. Although drivers in delhi are smart and understand, but sometimes accent can be a problem, so keep it!

These days, the prices is like INR 20 start and then INR 20 per kilometer and INR 50 for waiting at one place for 30 mins. This is currently the price of the reputed cab providers. all have a/c , comfort and clean seating.

Priority 2 - Day to Day - Auto Rickshaws if by road
For day to day travel / commuting, an auto-rickshaw will be better deal but remember you go by meter. But unfortunately, 80% are not have there meter running and will ask for fixed price. Seeing a foreigner, it might be like double the price. Negotiate well and negotiate like INR 7 per km.

I am enclosing the govt rates for the taxis and rickshaws from Delhi government police website for yoru reference. They are a bit cheap (INR 11 for non-ac and INR 13 for ac) and is not available at all places but in common public service places like Stations etc. URL - http://www.delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/auto-taxi-fare.htm

Priority 2 - Day to Day - Metros
For day to day travel / commuting, nothing beats metro (DMRC). It is a shuttle service that has a good linkages in delhi and cheap. At office timing, it can be a bit too much, but then it is A/C, fast and cheap! Females have a seperate compartment but busy timing or high traffic, we can see few men standing in corners of the compartments. It runs from 6 in the morning till 11 in the night.  For more: - delhimetrorail.com/

[b]Priority 3 - Cheap Travelling- Buses

Avoid travelling in private buses and public buses only if you see Red Color DTC (Govt buses) which are AC and decent.
Travelling cost can range from INR 5 to INR 75

Walking :
Mind it, most of the delhi areas are clean in the morning but then it is mostly occupied by vendors etc. So, for walking, be ready to use road sides to walk. please ensure you look left n right before crossing roads, even if it greeen light for pedestrian. also, people coming from opposite side don't hit you !

Carrying Valuables while travelling :
Please keep your wallet in your pockets (front) and keep change for travelling in other pocket. A very useful tip that has helped me (being a delhiite) when my back pocket got picked and what all he got was a cheap wallet and 100+ INR :). Keep road map and and official document in your bag strapped tightly!

Don't take lifts from unknown, tell them politely, i am walking as i have to go to that place (pointing your finger at any building nearby) and tell them all your friends are there. :)

dont eat anything they offer (even if they mention it is sacred and deity etc). Ask them your doctor has asked not to have anything for next 8 hrs :) simple!

dont leave your luggage unattended for a minute. you might only be left with memories.

dont try to carry your mobiles and laptops and other valuables flashing to the public. use it sensibly and keep it in your hands only.

dont argue and dont get provoked! some might be rude but yu do not need to be!

For more guidelines for foreigners in Delhi, Delhi Police has mentioned few details that may help you.

http://www.delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/gu … sitors.htm

Delhiites are smart, educated ,respect foreigners .. but the above tips are few pranksters who try to break the beauty of Delhi by doing non-sense. the above are just few ways you can avoid being in trouble while travelling!

i think today's holiday i have utilized enuf :)!

:one

Great useful tips! :D

Hi Delhi Community,
If you happen to travel to Bangalore, I would highly recommend to stay at Casa Cottage, a small heritage hotel in the heart of the city. The staff are very friendly & supportive. It have a nice garden to relax. They have helped me to organize my tour in South India (Coorg & Hampi). They can be reached at 080 22990337.

Regards

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

Thanks! Very helpful.
Do you know, are there "pink taxis" in New Delhi or other taxis driven for women by women drivers?

Nice post, well appreciated :)

happy2beinindia wrote:

Thanks! Very helpful.
Do you know, are there "pink taxis" in New Delhi or other taxis driven for women by women drivers?

Hi,
No their are no such pink taxis available as for now in Delhi.
But you can prefer metro train before 11 p.m. or ask for radio cab by calling via phone or mobile so that company do have GPS tracking or other monitoring device.
Greetings

Thank you and most helpful.

This post was written over a year ago. Since then, an addition piece of advice is to NEVER, EVER, EVER take a bus with darkened windows.

Micky Fernandez wrote:

This post was written over a year ago. Since then, an addition piece of advice is to NEVER, EVER, EVER take a bus with darkened windows.

Yes with respect I would say true but not to worry now as "Supreme Court of India", had issue an urgent jurisdiction that no commercial or private vehicle can use any sort of black label screen on windows.

Good to know and something that I would have easily done without the warning since I am used to buses and vehicles having shaded black windows since I have lived in hot climates.

[Moderated: off topic]

[Moderated: off topic]

Great post with great info.  Thanks!

Thank you for the very useful info!

all info very usefull fot me.
i still dont dare myself taking bus, ok with auto rickshaw.
thanks for the info

I am agree with some branded radio cabs in Delhi like Meru cabs, Ola cabs etc..

Auto rickshaws and bus are not safe for women.  Buses are overcrowded always and private buses also not safe you also know why I am saying this. Auto rickshaws is fine but for solo women it is not safe. Metro is also like Buses huge crowd and I observe one thing that most of the male enter into the Female coaches so that's very bad.

Apart from it branded cabs are more safe because it's held by private organisation so that they keep trained drivers to providing training about driving and how to behave with customers. Some cabs also connect with GPS system so the they can track the location of every cab.