Realistic living costs for NYC -

Hello everyone,

First time post, so hello first of all!

Second, I am moving to NYC later this year, to set up a business for a company already established here in the United Kingdom, and I was hoping for some advice on cost of living / realistic salary.

I live in London now, which in terms of cost of living (groceries, restaurants, bars etc..) is similar, if not more expensive, than NYC. It's more rent / taxes / any other things I should be aware of.

I don't live particularly extravagantly, I like eating out a couple of times a week, go out to a few bars. Nothing too out of the ordinary. I am aiming to live in Brooklyn, maybe Williamsburg, and I want to live on my own (my girlfriend will join me after a couple of months, so rent will be significantly cheaper at that point).

What sort of ball park salary would allow me to not have to worry too much about money, without being hugely extravagant?

Any stories / experiences are hugely welcome, I know there is no 'right' answer, I guess I'm looking to understand a few different peoples perspectives on this.

Ben

Hello Ben.

Welcome to Expat.com!

In meantime, you can download the United States expat guide. It can be useful.

Good luck,
Aurélie

Hi Ben,
I think $50,000 of disposable income (this is money in your pocket) would allow you to live comfortably for one person (without saving). Of course if gf joins force, it only needs additional half of that.  I think will make do and not an extravagant life.

I was going to say around 60-70k. I have a bunch of friends who live there.