Nairobi - Safe Enough for Children?

Hi All,

I'm moving to Nairobi in a few weeks - happy to see so many people using this forum and wanting to meet up.  Add my name to the list!

-Corey

hy SoCha jst take care, kenya is not the safest nor is it dose it have the worst security..

Hi, I have moved with my daughters and granddaughter between the UK and Kenya.  Coming from a place where they could ride their bikes outside, etc to a place where we were living in a compound didn't seem to affect them unduly.

I have found that children are really quite resilient and accepting of a change in lifestyle and seem to realise that this is a different place with a different lifestyle and thats just the way it is.  I never felt that there was a necessity to go over the top with explanations, or to induce fear into the kids, unnecessarily.  Both my daughters prefer Kenya to the UK.  My grandaughter, who lives with us, has witnessed someone being run over and killed as well as being in a vehicle that was rolled, recently.  She hasn't needed counselling, doesn't have flashbacks and although she has had a much 'safer life' in the UK, she much prefers Kenyan life.

It is true that you have to take extra care in Nairobi, but so long as you are sensible, you should be OK.  I do not have experience of being robbed and I think it is wrong to take the view that this is a matter of when, rather than if. 

Why on earth would you want to 'prepare your children' to deal with trauma for an event that hasn't occurred and may never happen.  Why instll unnecessary levels of fear into them?  Would you counsel your children about the dangers of riding in vehicles, before setting out on a journey?  Because, statistically the risk of being killed/injured in a vehicle accident is much more likely than being the victim of an armed robbery, especially in Kenya, where it is the number one cause of death.

With regard to 'inside jobs'.  Yes, this can happen, alternatively, you get pilfering by your employees.  The best tip is to employ the bare minimum of people, treat and pay them well.  It is worth trying to find someone who comes with good references.  Security guards sleeping on the job is also a big problem, which is difficult to resolve.

With regard to the recent bombings, you would have to be very very unlucky to be caught up in such an incident.

First of all congratulation for your job, my name is Birju iv lived here all my life. yes Nairobi is a risky place but when you are careful nothing can happen, kids riding bicycle can be safe in a secure neighborhood, there are private residential roads that have the entire neighborhood road secure in both ends, there are house with huge compound space enough for kids to play and enjoy, there are a few safe playgrounds where you can sit enjoy your meals as your kids play, I learned to ride my bicycle in my compound it was big, wink

Electric fences and security guards protect from outsides robber, baggers, street children, uninvited guests to enter your premises. There are soo many who live here with their kids and kids have a fabulous time here.

Im 22 I was born here and lived here, iv never been robed I go out and enjoy, you just have to be preconscious. The best way to prepare your kids them for or reduce this trauma is by making them feel its safe, and why it is requires, they do need to know how safe they are and what to do in case something happened, this can prepare them as well reduce their fears.

Election violence is a lot, a lot in the sense that there are killings people die, property damage, shops are broken into. But that's nowhere near any residence. I live in parklands I remember last year the day of elections I was out at my shop watching the results. no violence near where i live they (riots) never come here, those without security such as car's (if u get stuck where there are riots), slum area, town area and shops unprotected you will be affected. But residents are safe. This year the government did say they are making sure it will be safe.

What guarantees your safety? The police are ever whr patrolling at night and on foot, if any problem and they are near you will be helped, there are emergency services you can call them when you have a problem. There are private security services such as G4s, Securex, and others with the help of the police they are ever patrolling around. You can contact them for emergency, or during problems.

One tip of advice if you getting robed dont argue, fight back, they will harm you or even kill. Find a secure home for your family, live simple and find out the areas that need to be avoided. Many live here who love this place, I can help you when you come Nairobi, if there's else anything let me know :)

birJu,

Hello Mr Socha, as per my friends Mr Longonot and Mr Birju's replies i need not explain everything again... but for short reply, nairobi is the safest city in africa.  welcome to nairobi, you will love this place.

Where are you in Nairobi?

Hi Sam Odongo - please note that this post is dated 2012 and i suggest you to start a new topic with all your questions on the Nairobi Forum for better interaction please :)