British woman 26 years old moving to Sharm in 2 weeks, any advice?!

Hello there.

I have pretty much read everything there is to read on the various websites about living in Egypt. After visiting Sharm on holiday a few times I have fallen in love with the place and the people there. I was told on my last holiday (1 week ago) that work is very easy for English people to find and lots of English live and work in Sharm. I was introduced to a number of people who managed businesses and hotels and they were very sure that if I were to go back and want to work it would not be a problem.

I returned home with a lot to consider. My job here in UK with NHS is under review and I am likely to be made redundant very shortly. I have no house, children, ties etc. I therefore decided to jack in my job and booked a flight to go back to Sharm in 2 weeks time to find work and stay for a while, initially as a tourist and see whether I like being there for longer.

Massive step, rushed decision, but its something I really want to do so im going for it while I can!

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to know if anyone can offer me any tips or helpful advice that would be great. Or if anyone wants to meet up for a drink and maybe become friends you may be able to keep me sane! :)  I have booked into a hotel for a week when I arrive and plan to just see what happens at the end of that week.

Let me know if you have any wise words please!

Thanks
Lisa

Good luck & take care, do not believe all what they will promise you

all the best Lisa, hope u will find the answer

hi Lisa.. good luck i didthe same thing when it came to egypt it didnt take long to decide! :-D i love it. and if u have locals to help you even better.

Thank you Layla and Amarka. Any other advice from anyone living in Sharm particularly?

Thanks
Lisa

Hi Lisa, and welcome to Egypt.
I can suggest many places to Visit.
you can visit Tiran Island or Ras Mohamed (Nature Reserve).
also you can go ride a camel or Moto Safari.
also you should visit two more places. the colored canion & the Monastery of St. Catherine. with Moses Mountain.
if you like diving, so I suggest to dive in Dahab in the Blue Hole but take care, as it is dangerous to dive in there (second or third most dangerous place to dive in, as there are caves under the water)
NB: reserve your tours & sightseeing  with travel agency.
at the end, I hope if you enjoy your stay.
Dont forget your goggles & pipe to do some snorkeling.
and also your camera so you will take unforgettable memories. ;)

wow i read about blue hole.. it must be so pretty but i dunno i dont dive much. its scary lol

amr_moro wrote:

Hi Lisa, and welcome to Egypt.
I can suggest many places to Visit.
you can visit Tiran Island or Ras Mohamed (Nature Reserve).
also you can go ride a camel or Moto Safari.
also you should visit two more places. the colored canion & the Monastery of St. Catherine. with Moses Mountain.
if you like diving, so I suggest to dive in Dahab in the Blue Hole but take care, as it is dangerous to dive in there (second or third most dangerous place to dive in, as there are caves under the water)
NB: reserve your tours & sightseeing  with travel agency.
at the end, I hope if you enjoy your stay.
Dont forget your goggles & pipe to do some snorkeling.
and also your camera so you will take unforgettable memories. ;)

Layla, please do not dive in there if you do not how to dive, if you did it before, so it is ok, go ahead, any way there will be a guide with you, but you must follow him/her, as there are many caves underwater, and it is dangerous sometimes.
but if you like diving, you can dive in sharm elsheikh in (Sharks Bay) there are no sharks in there, but it is so pretty.

oh i will not dive there trust me LOL thanks for your caring:-)

amr_moro wrote:

Layla, please do not dive in there if you do not how to dive, if you did it before, so it is ok, go ahead, any way there will be a guide with you, but you must follow him/her, as there are many caves underwater, and it is dangerous sometimes.
but if you like diving, you can dive in sharm elsheikh in (Sharks Bay) there are no sharks in there, but it is so pretty.

Hi Lisa im doing the same moving to sharm at the end of august a little worried about work and finding some where to living. im on holiday in june for two weeks to find out about jobs and speak to some hotels about jobs. im happy to meet for drinks when i move.

Lindsey

(Moderated)

As the other poster said - don't believe everything - if anything - that anyone tells you!!  Very good advice.

Egyptian Knight - what do you think - you are EGyptian so of course the salaries are low - they are the salaries for an EGyptian!!!

Again - don't give anyone your number - don't phone anyone who gives you theris if you don't know about them.
And at this time in Egypt keep your street smarts alert - very alret you can't be too careful.

But I would be surprised if many of the hotels are hiring - as he tourist trade has hit an all time low really!

in which hotel do you will stay ? me i stay in nabq bay in viva reef residence with 2 big swimming pool so nice

Im moving to sharm in august add me on skype hannah.waring2 i have lived there before :) happy to help xxx

Hallo Lisa

Am sure its an old question u were asking about !!

But its important issue we face every day.

The only advice I like to give is to have fun. Always be smiling as much as possible while you will be dealing with tourists are here for vacation.  Always try to be different to have a continuous success.
In tourism field, its really competitive. Egyptians are famous of funny people.  So alot of challenge are waiting. They are very simple and normal.

Of course you have to be wise and take care, nothing more than any other country

I feel no need for the threatening advices.

I am visiting the red sea towns more than 5to7 times per year.

And if u already working, It will be nice to tell about your own experience.

Good Luck

Hi Lisa

Hope all goes well for you.

Make sure you travel with a return ticket or at least keep special funds available to buy a ticket out.

Do not belieive everything you are promised as many many people just try to show off and make a big impression by promising you everything and in fact are able deliver nothing.

Dont put too many personal details on public view.

Have fun but always take that little bit of extra care when in a foreign land especially one that is going through such troubles as Egypt is right now.

Sharm is a very beautiful place with many beautiful and kind people but visitor numbers are down and so hotels have a lot less work.

Just be careful and take care.

Good luck

Tom

dear lisa,going on holliday to egypt is one thing and going to work there is completely different not mentioning that your wages will be much less than what you earn here please find out more about this step before you make your mind up. yours faithfully.antikaromani,

My tip for you is be very carfull in sharm ..maybe you have a boyfriend over there and thats why you are going there to live ! maybe you want the experience of another country !

Sharm is mostly men working from there home city of Luxor more strict rules there and family watching every move .

Sharm is freedom for them ..some men are looking for easy pickings and you will hear all the time Habibi i have waited for you all my life ..your very beautifull ... i love you from inside my heart ..I am virgin and waitng for the good women for me !! these men have said it to hundreds of women and it like a manter to them ... They might even talk you into an ofri marrage paper ...which is used for sex mostly in an area called Delta sharm ... they are not allowed in hotels ..so they will talk you into renting a room for the night ,to spend specail time with the women ..

I have spent hours listening to the broken hearted women who fall for this ...

Unfortuantaly many women young and old fall for this talk ..There on holiday and looking and listening to Young handsom men ... Once all your money has gone ...so will the man ... I have been there Sharm ,luxor,hurgarda Cairo many many times and have seen it with my own eyes what is going on..

I have never been deluded to belive all this kind of talk after 1 hour in Sharm ...So to all the ladys that are going there to live after spending a few weeks on holiday ....Think again !

there is little work over there for the Egyptians ,so for you to get any kind of job will be hard .. others have said dont belive all your told ! i say the same ..

Good luck on your journy ...But please be carfull ... you asked for tips so i have told you what can happen ... Take care

PS .. I still love Egypt , but i have never fallen for the Mantra ... :)

Hi elimay,

I invite you to create a new topic on the Sharm el-Sheikh forum, as the topic on which you posted of from 2012. This might help other memebers.

Thank you,

David.

Thank you ..

I have done as you have asked ... I am new to this site and still finding my way around it ...

Have a nice day ..

u wellcome in sharm but u should know its not that easy to find work her in sharm but anyway u sould give a try and any help u can ask hope to be friends

Hi LisaUK36,
It has been almost one year since you posted this topic. I can see that you have gotten many useful advises about living in Sharm.

But we didn't hear any feedback from you about your experience in Sharm yet.
Are you still there, did everything went fine with you?
If you still in Sharm how about the job and living over there?

I suggest that you post your experience in sharm (no matter if it is nice or not) so anybody else who wannna move to sharm could get benefit of it.

Wish you all the best.
Cheers,
MO.

We have many heros ...
lols

hi there , im caroline and i just read your message , im also moving to sharm, im going the end of the year ,just saving a little more and will be getting an apartment with my partner , whos egyptian . im 43 although i act about 23 :), im looking for work too , . i heard it is easy as we are english and they like to see english people , would love to chat with you more , as also it would be nice to to talk about the same subject ,
hope to hear from you soon caz x:D

i am new too , so looking around myself , hope to chat soon :)

Hello cazza2013,

this thread dates back to 2012, feel free to start a new discussion on Sharm el-Sheikh forum if you wish.

Best of luck on your move,

Francesca

Hello, PLEASE read my previous posts re this subject.!!!!   THERE IS NO WORK IN SHARM....not for locals and especially not for foreigners.   Employers are discouraged from employing people from outside Egypt, and you are too young to become a target of predators.   They will promise the world,,,,but Sharm is completey different when you live here.   PLEASE do not put yourself in the firing line....the political situation is now extremely bad....I have lived here for many years and am happily married, but know the pitfalls as well.   Yes come for holiday, but keep yourself to yourself and don,t listen to the 'promises'.
As I say, read other posts before you decide anything and nursing is a no-no for you or anyone else.    The system is completely different to uk. and you would not be accepted because of training you have ,
take care and think.
Fatma

I 100% agree with you Fatma,,,

Unfortunately many expatriates wanting to relocate to the Red Sea and Sharm do not welcome any advice that is contradicting their plans and hopes for their new life in the sun. They love the place and they will go anyway, literally ignoring political and economic circumstances surrounding their trip.

Many foreigners believe they will find work, solely because they speak English or they have a foreign passport. If this was true 10 years ago, it is not true anymore, in the post-mubarak era.

The time were backpackers going around the world where sitting in downtown cafes, and recruiting heard of tourist for desert trips is over.

Things are getting taught. Either you have some serious business plan, or you got funds to buy properties and rent them out, or you have exceptional skills and experience and are working for a reputed company.

Jobs are shrinking in Egypt as elsewhere in the word, does not matter the fields. Many come to Egypt with great hopes, trying to escape the stress of European and USA cities but fall either victims of their 'Egyptian love' or remain jobless and are soon or later forced to pack and go back home.

You need a realistic plan, possibly a long-term plan if you do not want to exhaust all your savings and get a big delusion.

This is not being pessimistic, this is being realistic. Make a plan, as you are going for a survival trip, especially if you are young and with restricted funds. Try to get as qualified as you can before leaving, as that qualification might make the difference between being hired or not, or might even be a requirement set by immigration authorities.

If you are a professional working online, instead, Egypt has everything to offer. A location can be very good at specific times for certain people, and little advantageous for others.

Far from discouraging people from coming to Egypt, I only invite 'movers' to make sure that their chosen location offers real life chances.

Please think well, before making your plan. For instance, if your dream is really to work in Egypt, in the tourism industry try to get qualified while you are in the UK. Then you might have some real chances to make Egypt your permanent home.

Try to think, 'What can I offer to the market? What makes me unique? What about competitors?'

If you dream to spend 6 months, or one year having fun using your expenses, that's ok. If you are looking to earn and settle down, really think twice.

Well said! I got the impression still a lot of young women think that Egypt was waiting for them... This isnt the case especially in the current unpredictable situation. Especially if u got children - think twice before moving!

Well said!

I couldn't agree more.

But as the above poster already said - they don't want a dose of realism or practical advice to dent their plans.
No  - 'of course we are European, speak English and love going on holiday there - people should be begging me to work for them'.
Egypt is not the Shangri La it once was - it is a very different country than 2 years ago - and the tourism industry will become non-existent maybe after the next weekend - if wasn't already bad!

In Cairo you only have to go to the tourist haunts to see this - Khan El Khalili (on of my favourite places in all of Cairo) is suffering particularly badly.

hi habebe....no it is NOT easy cos you are english   it is more difficult, but it depends on the lifestyle you need and want. Can you live on th eequivalent of 100 sterling per month???/   I am sure you couldn,t, and that is a good salary.
My friends and I are now in the process of saving the 200th girl who came here and that is in the last 2 years.    please don,t think you are too bright too fall for the chat......it happens to soooooo many women who come here.
I have lived here for a very long time and know th earea very well.   I am married and a teacher and there is no work for me even thoughh I have full resident,s visa.   Take care and come for long holiday...look aroung but have enough money to escape if you have to.
Political situation is not going to improve for some considerable time , we all know that here so it will be even more difficult for foreigners to settle here..    keep your plans on hold please and save yourself and your money.   Keep in touch with me if you like but think again.....   Fatma

[Moderate: Off topic.]

Woow....pretty giril....i want to meet uuu.....welcome

@heroh,

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/DATESITE_zps40374a09.jpg

Cool your jets "Romeo"

EXPAT-BLOG IS NOT A DATING SITE

William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hi Lisa ,
It would be nice to visit Sharm El Sheikh from time to time and enjoy the sun and beach...but moving there to live for good is not the best idea. I understand you very well , I'm 55 years and traveled to many places , so I realize when the man loves a place and wants to live or stick with a specific city...I had this experience before but never left my original country , work or life. Lisa , for a British young pretty female like you , most propably you will be abused in Sharm El Sheikh ! Locals will go after you to have an English Passport..some other will look at you as a piece of meat...too much nice words but the main purpose is only free sex. I'm sorry to say that about my own people but I wanted to be frank and straight specially that you are nearly of my daughter age.
I will travel to sharm next july hope to not meet you there :) I mean hope that you came to Sharm and returned back with good memories about your short stay trip.
Adel 55...New member.

Hi Lisa..

first of all i wish agood luck of your choce and new chalange that you go through.

however ,, i have one comment in your traveling time .. now a days in all islamic countries is Ramadan month, which is a religoun fasting month.. and most of the shopes will be closed during the day .. and even clubs and bares might closed in day and night ..end of Ramadan will be on July 16th or 17th .. so i would suggest if you could postpond your trips for one week more to be on July 17th it will be more enjoyment for you.

becuase i have consider above .. i have booked my flight on July 18th  ;) .. and booked my hotel on Naama bay its the hot spot eara .. nice to meet you over there .

all you said is true unfortunally

Hi Lisa,
My name is Morris. I, like you, came to Sharm several times on holiday and fell in lve with the weather, the people, the sites. So I decided to move here since I am retired and have no ties in Miami.
My suggestion to you is try to stay in an airb&b apartment which is cheaper than a hotel, and you feel more like in a home.
Hotels here charge you tax on tax.
My local cell is *** Give me a call and we can have that drink.
Welcome to Sharm
:))

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I wonder how you are doing now ??

Closed