Healthcare in Myanmar

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Myanmar ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Myanmar?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

how does the healthcare system works in Myanmar ? Is it efficient ?

=> Oh no :(

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

=> I would recommend using expat doctors and clinics, and the local doctors recommended by the expats (e.g. SOS Clinic, Australian Embassy Clinic in Yangon). Public hospitals are in a miserable condition, some private hospitals are well-equipped (e.g. Pan Hlaing Hospital in Yangon) but don't usually have enough doctors based at the hospital.

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Myanmar?

=> Never heard of such a thing in Myanmar! Cash is what you need, and get a good international cover insurance back home

Hi Siberian,

Thank you for your contribution. :)

How about if you need dental care (i.e. wisdom teeth removed)? Is it better to go to a neighboring country (Malaysia, Thailand) to get it done, or to find a place in country?

I believe there are a few dentists recommended actually, so no need to go abroad for teeth removal :)

If you need to go for a cardiac than which hospital has got good facilities and doctors.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

If you have a little sick like common cold. You can go to GP clinic, If you got sick but not severe you can go any private hospital. My preferable is Asia Royal hospital and Parami hospital you can told Taxi but if more severe you should go to Thailand or Singapore because for treatment standard is higher than here. For Government sector not preferable. In my opinion Government sector is poor.

Pan Hliang is a little far from town I prefer Asia Royal hospital and Parami hospital because not so far from downtown

mmaloney2 wrote:

How about if you need dental care (i.e. wisdom teeth removed)? Is it better to go to a neighboring country (Malaysia, Thailand) to get it done, or to find a place in country?

Replying to a very old post, but for info to anyone still interested in this - I had my wisdom teeth removed by an excellent Myanmar Dentist in Yangon (foreign trained, excellent standards).
He has been my preferred dentist for 15 years since then, and I visit him when needed on trips to Yangon

PM me for his details if interested.

I prefer to advise you go to Thailand Malaysia and Singapore is more better than Myanmar

Hi, in one of your posts you mention a good dentist.  I just need to replace a filling but if you know a good place to go please let me know.  Thanks!