Healthcare in the Democratic Republic of Congo

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in the Democratic Republic of Congo ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Hello.
My family and I are insured by CIGNA INTERNATIONAL, former VAN BREDA. There are  hospitals who deal  with CIGNA in the DRC, such as the " Marie Biemba Mutombo Hospital" which has most of the latest  medical equipment . Here is their number if any one needs to book an appointment # (081) 744-2511 .The hospital is located a bite far from town, is on the airport high way. Some thing like 40-45' from Socimat area. It's always better to set an appointment from Monday to Friday, on Saturdays and Sundays most of the doctors are not available. Cigna takes in charge of 100 % for all the   medical  fees. There  is another hospital in town
called "Canadian Hospital" , is very good but they don't have all the facilities that
some one will require if in need such as CT scan. There is no dentist at the Canadian hospital. Here You have to pay 20% of your medical fees , Cigna will only support 80% of the charges. !!!!  never park your  car in front of the building where You will see red  tiles or  else You might get in big trouble with the police. There is also an hospital called "CMK" which also deals with Cigna, but I have never been treated there. In Kitambo magasin there is a hospital called "Ngaliema medical center" which takes Cigna card but from our experience You have to pay some thing like 80% of the medical cost. I was very confused about the medical insurance coverage at their hospital , so I can really not advice some one who's not prepare to pay any thing to go there.
I had an experience with the air medical services, which was good, no disturbances at the N'Djili airport. My son was evacuated for an emergency and all went ok.
Thanks. .. ,

I live in Kolwezi in the south of the DRC, there is no public hospital system here, all medical treatment is charged. My medical care is provided by my husbands company and we use the hospital supplied for company workers which is still very limited, no major surgery, CAT scans or MRI, any serious condition has to travel to South Africa or elsewhere for treatment. My understanding of medical care outside of company supplied acess is that it is generally pretty poor and limited. I believe it can be difficult to obtain health insurance to cover you if you are simply travelling in the DRC, you would need to investigate that very thoroughly.  Any serious injuries need to be airlifted to South Africa for a higher level of treatment, even in the company funded hospital that we have acess to. Services in places like Kolwezi are very different to those in Kinshasa so really check things out before you come. Also as French and Swaheli are the major languages making yourself understood in the hospital can be difficult if you are not a speaker of either.

There are no much medical facilities are available at DR Congo. I was located at Lubumbashi, there is one hospital Shalina and another one is Don Bosco. Both have a comparable facilities.  Most of the Congolese is going to Europe or India for high end treatments.

Hi
I have question
When u want go to lumbimbashi
You have to do injection???!