Healthcare in Dominican Republic

Thank you for your info on health insurance in the DR, most helpfull. I see you are in Santo Domingo where there are good hospitals. Do you know if there are any near Puerto Plata, Sosua where I intend moving to in a year or 2.

Many thank's again.

Clínica Brugal and Bournigal are in Puerto Plata. Both are good!

I would recommend Bournigal in PP and if really need expert care than take the 1.5 hour drive to Santiago and HOMS hospital (near the airport)

Bob K

Thank you for your info on hospitals. I hope I won't need it but my wife is clumsy.

Drink less presidents and see if that does not help the situation :)

Bob K

HAHAHA Bob, Presidente helps everything.....

If not step up to the Brugal!

Hi,

I was wondering where should I look to purchase Health insurance in Dominican Republic?

First welcome to the forum
Secondly where in the DR are you planning on living?
Here on the north coast we have a group policy with Universal at a very good rate.

Bob K

Santo Domingo

Welcome to the forums!  I can help you with your insurance needs, I live in Santo Domingo and have a small group plan with Humano.  Let me know by private message what your needs are.

Anything else you need to know about Santo Domingo,  read the other threads and then ask us any questions you may have.

Sande do contact planner. She is the go to person in the SD area

Bob K

Thanks Bob!  she did email me...

you are welcome old (really young) wise one.

Have you got your electric bill settled yet. If it is anything like my row with Orange it will take about 8 months to be corrected. That is only if you go in every week or more to prod them along.

Bob K

They ripped out the line, ripped out the meter installation, 2 lines that were tapping into mine and reinstalled everything.  I am now waiting for my first bill so I can go fight over it.......  I am still watching my usage by the day and I am pretty sure there is still something amiss. I will keep updating.

Good luck!

Bob K

We arrive in dec . In Luperon anyone know of Palic insurance?

I've heard of them but sorry I don't know much about them.  I stick to the big 2 Universal or Humano.

My husband age (1946) has him aged out of other plans - I was told?

That is correct, the cutoff is 65 for enrollment.

Universal or Humano? Which one is the better value for a middle aged male? I am (or will be)in Samana. I need dental implants to be covered. Someone said that the DR is a great place for dental tourism but I think he was referring to the capital.

I personally prefer  Humano and I run a small group plan.  Our dental will cover part of dental implants but not for the first 6 or 12 months. I will have to check the plan to see the specifics.  Both Humano and Universal have doctors, dentists etc all over the country!

If you want more info feel free to send me a private message.

I am planing to move to Dominican Republic. I have insurance in the US but the monthly payment is too high, $350/mo.!!!! Which insurance do you think is the best in DR? Also, What i need to stay in DR for 60 or 90 days? I asked around and seems like i get different answers. I was told that i could pay at the Santiago airport to extend my 30 days tourist card and when i went i was told by two immigration officers that it was not like that. Any illumination?????

If this is a one time 60 or 90 day trip I would not worry about extending anything an just pay the minimal fine when you leave.  We had friends leave Saturday and they have been here since August.  The fine was 800 pesos a piece.

Also if this is  a one time trip I would not get local insurance as it will not cover preexisting and usually has a 30 or 60 day waiting period before it is in full force.

Hope this helps

Bob K

chiwito excuse my poor manners please.  I should have started off the last post with  "Welcome to the forum".  So welcome to the forum.

Bob K

Welcome chiwito.  Depending on the length of your stay you may or may not want or need insurance here. It also will depend on your age and any pre existing conditions.

you say your are planning to move here - well then if that is the case you will want some insurance here. I recommend both Universal and Humano, I work with Humano with a group. If you want more info just let me know and I can send it to you.

Decent insurance here can be had for under US 50 depending on some conditions - ie  age and pre existing conditions.

Do so please, send information. It will be nice of you, thanks.

Not a problem!!! I feel already that you guys are doing a great job!!!! Thanks

Hi Planner, Mark here again.Well i totally you got to have a insurance plan.Now i was looking on line and i see alot of those expat insurance plans.From what i'm reading I don't need one of those, hey they are pricey. If I can get a plan like you have. But i did find one thing,I am going to get. There's a insurance card membership you pay for Emergency Evaucation,if it come's to that.The price isn't too bad,could be worst i guess,about $2500 a little under thaty for the 5 year plan.That's up front naturally.They even do a body return to country of orgin if you want to be buried in the USA, not me,but others may like that too.I don't know if you or any members have one of those type plans.But to be honest that looks like the best plan. Hey they even gurantee, you will be flown by a Lear jet Air Ambulance, no Prop jobs,too slow.Well thought i would throw that in. Thanks. Mark

Very cool Mark,  it might be good in addition to a local insurance plan here! 

again good quality local health insurance can be purchased for between  US 35 and US 50 a month.   I personally use and sell Humano plans but I also recommend Universal plans!

Absolutely recommend evacuation insurance.  You never know when you need it.
Our best friend here had major complications from surgery here and we had to med evacuate him out in the middle of the night. He did not have any evacuation insurance and the bill was over $30,000 USD.

Need I say more...

Bob K

Yup  well worth it!

Hello! this is me again, what about 60 years old? I will be 61 in June 2014.

You can sign up, they may ask for a doctor's medical checkup but the company pays for it!  IF they find something they may still give you insurance with an exclusion but you are covered for everything else.

thanks!!!!

You are very welcome!

Hi there, what is the age that you are refused coverage?  I thought it was around 75...I'm also approaching 60 and was hoping to be in DR before then but might not be.

The age is 65,  and there is only one company that will accept anyone over age 65.  They are not the best and as I understand it they are expensive.

By the way,  you can be refused coverage by any company at any age based on your current medical condition. Sometimes it is better to apply earlier rather then later.......

Thanks for the information.  Luckily I'm still in good health and hope to be in DR long before I'm 65!  It's freezing here in Canada already so DR is constantly on my mind!!!!