Healthcare in Finland

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Finland ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Finland?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Well, I don't know about efficiency but it is very expensive. The main difference between public and private health care services are mainly two: private are more expensive but it is faster, not so many people in the queue when you make the appointment.

The same doctors work for both. Many of the doctors don't bother to think when they are treating public sector patients, even though their salary comes from their taxes. If you use public healthcare, you have to be very proactive and know in beforehand what treatments and medication are available for what's ailing you so you know to ask for them. But it's not necessary to buy insurance to survive. The private sector is smaller and does not carry all the services. So if something big hits you, you will end up in the public sector anyway.

And if you are employed, then by law, your employer will pay for doctors at a private clinic of your employer's choice. These are generally very good, except that they probably won't give you enough sick leave when you need it. So there's three kinds of healthcare, really: public, private and occupational.

Agreed with all above.
Wasn't fully aware that public is bit "lazy" but it makes sense based on my experience. Looking backward I regret not going directly to the private one in some cases.
I also have a private health insurance which should be good in case of more serious problems (although they reimburse mostly everything with a 30eur deduction). I will know more soon cos I have to go through an eye surgery.

Healthcare in Finland is better than rest of the europe and people are aware of the health precautions.
But to my personal opinion, I belong to a hot country, I feel upset in my health (a little) in the severe cold conditions. Sweating to moderate levels always gives cool and healthy experience to me.

Anyhow, food and water is clean and environment is also clean.

I think the healthcare in Finland it's the best healthcare system in the would ,generally the Scandinavian are nearly the same system all can access to free treatment and also hight level ,the last few years i think it's more difficult ,long queue, Doctors or others worker are maybe more stress i don't know but something change , however still the best system i believe . whatever in Finland mostly everything are positive we are very proud about this lovely country .

Yes I totally agree.
I have been living many months there, therefore I have little such experience.