Healthcare in Namibia

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Namibia ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Namibia?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Hi Julien,

I have the same questions! did you have any answer since you posted?

Thanks!

Virginie

Hi Virginie,
There is a massive difference between the two here currently.
I would never risk using the national healthcare provider. It's much safer to use private medical aid + clinics.
Unless you like bats and roaches and huuuge queues that is ;)

People that can afford to pay for medical aid/insurance, do so.
There are plenty insurers around, with varying levels of services.

Harriet.

Hi Harriet,

Thanks for your reply!

I will look for a private health insurance!
Could tell me a bit about how the healthcare system works? are you telling that it is not efficient?

In a sentence, Hells yeah!
The National healthcare here is appalling in my humble opinion :/
Massive queues, bad doctors, buildings are falling down, they aren't equipped properly. There are literally bats flying around in the operating rooms.
I know someone whos baby died just because they had no oxygen.

Private insurance isn't cheap either, but it's a necessity if you want peace of mind. Private clinics/practices are much better equipped.
For me, my partner and child, we have one of the better options and we pay about N$3000 a month.

Basically, with medical aid (depending what grade you choose) you get a certain nº of visits to a private doctor a year covered. It'll cover most of the medication you get prescribed.
It really depends on what grade you choose, for cover on operations/giving birth etc, at private clinics/hospitals

And there are many private hospitals/clinics you can choose from these days.

Harriet.

Thanks Harriet for your reply!

What about the social security?
I am on the social security commission website and there are various documents for application. As an expat, will I be eligible to apply and to register?

Virginie

No problemo.
Hmmm... not so sure about that.
My employer sorted it all for me here. I am domisciled in Namibia, this kinda works like a renewable work visa for me.
I think as long as you have some kind of long term visa/permit and are working or investing here then yes you can apply easily.
I think there are a few agencies here you can contact to sort these issues out for you, If you want to be properly informed about legalities.

Social security in Nam entitiles you to: maternity leave; sickness/injury on duty pay; death benefits; and a pitiful state pension.

Harriet.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

Hi, this is Jon. While here during my falsely concocted criminal charges since 2012 I am unable to afford private heath care. The public facility is shocking and disgusting. An entire day is insufficient to get treated for a simple flu. Medication is forever out of stock and restroom is never cleaned and don't work.

Hi Have read some of the things written about the health care system.
I know its horrible.
Does anybody know if there is any alternative care in Namibia, and if its covered by Insurances.
I was in Cuba last year, and learnt that the Cuban doctors are very well educated, I seem to remember Namibia have Cuban doctors...guess in the national system ?
Anybody got an answer? thanks in advance

I have found a Permacuture page and know its doing well in Namibia.
What im looking for is a living working community where young and old live together and care for each other,
Is there something like this in Nam especially near the coast yet?