Expat Life in Kampala

Hey guys,

I'm interviewing for a job in Kampala starting in August.

I'm just looking to get info about day-to-day life in Kampala for an expat.

Is it easy to find accommodation? Cost of living? Life outside of work? etc...

Thanks,

Sam :)

Just once you visit kampala you would definately love it.

Yaa, life is good in Kampala.

its easy to find accomodation and cost of living is less than England (thats where you come from right...).

life apart from work is good as you will have so many place to visit in Uganda and lots of ppl from your own country too.

anything else?

What should I know before moving to Kampala about daily life? There are a million things I could tell you, but I'll stick to one word: COME!

Kampala / Uganda is a great place, I've worked here 3 years and I love it.

generally cost of living in Uganda is low but expats can spend as much as you like, i.e. there are expensive bars and restaurants if you have the money to spare. Accom can take a little while to find, the city is growing quickly. Get someone here to find you something, ideally same side of town as where you work.

There is loads to do socially. Bars weekends away, to the lake or on Safari :) in the evenings there are social clubs that include salsa, Scottish dancing, poetry, running (I'm a Hash House Harrier, for ex), the list is endless. Kampala is a very accessible town and safe but traffic can be a nightmare (most days).

We have DSTV and a number of mobile phone operators, including MTN, Warid, orange and UTL. Internet speed is improving and you can usually Skype.

There are a number of shopping malls (personally I don't like them, but they can be convenient) and big-name supermarkets like GAME and ShopRite. I would say that you can buy anything in Kampala these days, although it may be more expensive than you're used to paying (and it may be cheap rubbish!)

As for what life is like in Uganda, feel free to check out my blog [url=www.muzungubloguganda.com]Diary of a Muzungu.

Good luck!

Hey Sam,

My later half of the years goal is to make friends so just let me know when you have arrived and we can try get you settled in.

R you still living in Kampala or shifted ?

I  went thru your blog and found it conforting.

I have got an offer of employment from a Bank in Kampala and likely to shift ther epretty soon.

Wanted to know from you, as to how safe is the place for Indian Professionals like me to work there and what are the opportunities ?

Any discrimination and concern areas , kindly do elaborate . If you want to discuss seperately , you may mail to [email protected].

How is the living expenses ? How r the schooling facilities ?

Waiting for a revert from you asap.

Take care.

regards

Susanta

Hi Samantha,is it a teaching job?

No, its a Bank manager job position.

Any suggestion to my posts ?