Why is it so hard to obtain employer sponsorship?

Hi all,

I am in Australia on my 2nd Working Holiday Visa and currently full time employed (WHV 6 month limited work restriction, 3 months left).

My skills / work experience would almost qualify for an independent visa. However I took some time off travelling around the world for the past 2 years. Therefore I do not fulfill the requirement of 12 month work within the past 24 months.

I was hoping to go the employer sponsorship 457 route, however my employer states as per policy they do not offer sponsorship.
What would be the reason for them not offering sponsorship? Do they have high costs / commitments?
Also most job offers on seek mention "no sponsorship offered"

Any other recommendations?

hi

My name is sutha from malaysia . i already got my Australian PR . would like to seek some info about securing job in australia . can i apply job from malaysia or i have to be physical in aussie. IS australian experience is necessary ? i'm thinking of Perth or Melbourne . can someone suggest which state is better in terms of employment opportunity and living cost in both state. i'm an IT graduate from Malaysia. Hope someone will show some light on this.

regards
sutha

Hi Franconian,
I interviewed with an HR rep to see what their recruitment office could offer to help assist in my job hunt. She told me she was from Ireland and was in Australian on a WHV. After a certain time, the company sponsored her. So I'm not sure what your current employer is telling you. They might not want to sponsor anyone that they hire on a WHV, but there are companies that will. It all depends if they want to sponsor someone for the job or just fulfill the jobs with employees on WHV. The reason being once they sponsor you and you become full time, I would assume that it would come with benefits. Maybe your employer does not want to invest in providing benefits?

Hi Sutha23,
If you have been granted the PR, you would like need to visit Australia to validate it. Yes, you can try to apply from your current location. There are people that have been successful in obtaining a job while being outside of Australia. But it all depends in the position and if you happen to have the skills the company is looking for and is interested in you.

Is your plan to just validate the visa and head back home? Or are you planning to move already? Once you validate your visa, you don't necessarily have to move yet. You just need to make sure that you are in Australia before the visa expires. Then you must at least fulfill 2 years in total of the 5 years that the visa is valid in order to get a 5 yr RRV. That is a resident return visa. Check out immi.gov.au

Whenever you head to Australia to validate your visa or plan to move altogether, make sure to set up appoints with HR reps so you can start your job search as soon as you arrive. They say they will prefer that you already move to Australia. But like I said above, it all depends on what a company is looking for.

You might want to check out the online websites and see what postings they would indicate for jobs in IT.  I believe Sydney would rank the highest cost of living in Australia with Melbourne following it. Just because these are the top two cities that are populated and well known.

hi jbo9

thanks for the info.  do you have any idea which state is better between Perth and Melb in terms of employment chances and living cost.

I'm already on a full time salary contract (limited to 6 months due to my WHV) with all benefits etc.
My employer is looking for long time employees that's why I don't understand the "no sponsorship" policy.
It is a big Australian company and apparently their policy is not to sponsor anyone.

Franconian,
From what you stated, it looks like your employer just doesn't want to sponsor even though they do need long term employees. They probably just want to hire locally without having to get involved with immigration by sponsoring an employee. If that is the case, you might want to try to apply for other jobs from other companies?  Just a thought since your interest is to be sponsored and will not happen with your current employer from what they have told you.

Sutha23,
I haven't been to Perth to be able to make a comparison to Melbourne. I think the job prospects will depend what occupation/industry you are in.  Looking in the online job websites may have an indication if there is a demand in your occupation or industry. From what I have been hearing, cost of living in Australia. Melbourne might be a little more expensive than Perth due to its location, businesses companies, and closer proximity to other cities. I would say be open to both cities to increase your chances of getting a job. You can always move to another city if you find out later you don't like it. This is if you have a PR visa not restricted to live and work in a specific region?

Looking at the norms of WHV, I am malaysian, and have been looking on sites for visa application. What is the best way for WHV application? Do appreciate if you all kindly assist some notes for me. :)

I would like to find out what is the whole process before I can lodge in my visa application for Employer Sponsored. I had an employer that is willing to sponsor me over, but I need to do most of the applications myself. Kindly advise.

Hope to get the reply from anyone of you soon.

Thanks.

Regards,
Wendy