Possibly moving to Vancouver in the next 6 months

Hi my boyfried and I are currently looking at moving to Vancouver. He has an option with work and we have always loved it there when we have visited on holiday.

I really wanted some advice as to where is best to live? We would be renting and have a budget between $1000-$1500 a month. My partner will need to be able to commute easily to downtown - neither of us drive so we would want somewhere with good transport links.

I almost definitley wont have a job when we move so would like some advice on how to get involved in life in Vancouver. Im very interested in sport and music (singing)

We are aged between 25-30 and have no children so dont neccessarily need to be in a family area but I would want to be somewhere that I felt safe.

Thanks

Hi KT86,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I wish you all the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

hi KT86

have you tried using www.viewit.ca? you enter your parameters and it lists the apts on a map. you can also check out http://www.rentbc.com/ and there's www.kijiji.ca

i lived in vancouver and loved it. i was downtown - it is expensive but worth it when you can walk to work; and being on foot/bike for shopping, stanley park or granville market is enjoyable. yaletown is also cool.

if you go to north vancouver i think you will find more within your price range and can take the sea bus from the north shore to downtown.

here's a link for info on the ferries etc.

http://www.bcpassport.com/vancouver-ferries/

good luck with your move.

cheers,

Hi Suzie Q thanks very much. I'll have a look at the sites youve suggested.

I think Downtown would be our preferred choice but we are trying to work out at the momnet how much it will cost us to live over there.

If you think of anything else i'd really appreciate your help

HI KT86
WE have been in Vancouver for 2 years now and are moving to Montreal
one of the easiest to find a flat is to walk around the city as most of the time the vacancies are advertised outside the building. You can also use craigslist where you will find lots of adds.
Overall vancouver is a very small city so you can walk around easily, take the bus or skytrain.
You can live downtown but I would recommend Yaletwon if you have good $$$ or like we do the West end, where you can easily commute to downtown and you are blocks away from English Bay and stanley park. Off streets are very green and quite and you have main street with all the stores you need. You can find high rises or condos from the 80's with around $1200 a month for a one bedroom unfurnished ( this is an average) . if you push the envelopp around $1500 you get something with a better location and newer . The west end is really safe, I guess downtown too, however border west/ east downtown i would avoid especially a couple of blocks down there . oLYMPIC village is nice too, lots of space and brand new condo and units ( from the winter fame) West Vancouver is very nice too, Try to stick to somewhere close to the skytrain line  ( the canada line is the best as it goes from downtown to airport.

Feel free to email me more about what you look for and I will be able to answer your questions.
cheers

Emilie

Hi. I agree - don't live too far off the Skytrain routes.