Baku - a City of Extremes for the Expat

Hi ,im teaching here,easy to find a job,good luck

kuanyin wrote:

we only ever go abroad to make money, pure and simple. For us British expats we're talking tax-free money. . .

The bad bits? Horrendous costs for almost everything.

I am earning about ten times their salaries

This may be an old post, but the problems laid out in it are just as valid today, and for a lot of expats.

The OP complains of terrible prices, but goes on to tell us how he's on ten times what the locals get; something that rings alarm bells, or should.
Locals (In most places) manage to live their lives on their salaries, so they're either stealing everything they have, including the cars mentioned in the post but, as that's unlikely, the OP must be paying too much for everything.
This is a very common problem with expats; they complain about prices but give no thought to how locals live on a lot less money.
Perhaps, as one of the many expats that didn't move in search of a large tax free salary, I wasn't ripe for being conned.

Hi Hils 007,

I am not an expat myself, but haven't been in Baku for 8 years and now I am back and feel like an expat, because everything has changed (some to a positive direction, some not). I have studied and worked in Russia and US, and always joined the expat groups there. I can totally understand how hard it might be for a foreigner in a new country, and especially if you don't know the local language. I would be more than to answer any questions u have or offer any help you need. **

Best regards,
Alex

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

I know the feeling =))) After living 2 years in the UK I can imagine what you are (were) up to.

Hello

It is sad how describe some expats Baku life from their point of view compare to Gulf Countries and no other places compared .
I have lived 18 years abroad and can compare Azerbaijan , Baku life  cost to many countries in the World.
Agree about pollution and traffic, life gets  more and more expensive . But positive sides of Azerbaijan are more than negative which makes it preferred city to be as expat  ( well paid for sure ).
After 18 years lived as expat, landed recently  in Germany. Let me compare  in most developed country city as Hamburg to Baku.
Rent is crazy expensive , 1500€( 120sq.m.)  for totally empty apt out of center plus 2 months rent agency fee plus 19% tax  , plus security deposit . Moody , greedy landlords.
Transport 2 € one way ticket .
Food 1000€ for 3 ppl at average supermarkets  for local products.
Cinema 8€
Eating out 10-12 € cafe , 20-40€ Average  restaurant per person .
Electricity 80 -100 € , Internet 30€ , cable TV 36€
Ppl speak some English but not everyone  , so I must try speak local language for basic life. Forget even finding job without knowledge of local language.
People here totally neutral and don't care of others, as long you can afford to live here and follow the law and rules , then life goes just ok.
8,50 € per drink ( wine , cocktail ) in Non fancy bars.
Such comparison I have with several african and Asian cities too.
Baku still remains comparably on top for its quality and prices offered compare Bangkok, Bali, Dubai, Paris, Munich, Hamburg, Dar Es Salaam, Doha,Dhaka and Amsterdam, Rom and many others. Why Baku gets expensive ? Oil ! World  buys  azeri oil , locals paying high  price for its expensive life. 
I wonder why expats complaining of life in Baku .. Go to Africa and try to live there , you will see where  is tough and expensive life.
Appreciate nature of Azerbaijan  , kindness and generosity of azeri ppl and be happy you have not been aggressed, robbed , badly cheated, insulted.
Azerbaijan has highest number of educated ppl ( university degree ) than many other counties.
Don't complain there is no IKEA , cheap cans of baked beans or beer. Be happy nobody imposes you about religion and you are free to eat, drink , wear what you want , visit everywhere , live life freely.
If this is also not good enough to be in Azerbaijan ..then I must say, go elsewhere and surely nobody will miss you in Azerbaijan.

My country is beautiful place but it is expensive. Our people friendly and cusine is the best.I am traveling in September to my country and will take many pictures for my article that I am working on.
If you have pictures of my country feel free to post on my page *

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share / promote external links/groups/blogs on the forum please

hi i will like to knw more about baku, and how the local people are, are they friendly and do they understand english even if they dont speak it?

Well my experience of Azerbaijan, after two years living in Baku, was that most Azeris do not speak English. Luckily, my wife does, and when she came out to join me it made a big difference. But it was frustrating from time to time.

A.O.A

DEAR

i am rashid from pakistan. i am qualified person and doing a good job in pakistan. i want to know Azerbaijan and want to move to baku. please guide me about job searching and life style in baku

thanks

rashid

Hello Rashid,

I am Gabil an Azerbaijani student living in Japan. Wanted to know are you still interested in Azerbaijan?