What's Iringa like for an Expat?

Hey Guys,

I'm interviewing for a job in Iringa, Tanzania. I have Tanzanian friends from Dar, but they've never visited Iringa before.

It would be great to know some more information about day-to-day life there. So far all anyone has been able to tell me is that the climate is good.

How's housing? Electricity/internet?

Is there much of a life outside of work?

What's the general cost of living?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sam :)

Hi Sam,

I am an American living here in Iringa with my family.
Iringa is a lot different than Dar. It is a small town, less traffic,less noise, less crime and less people. But also less to do. There is a few restaurant and things, but not a lot of excitement. :-)

Expat housing can be a little hard to find. There is an expat road project going on and most all of the expat housing is being used, but new houses are being built all the time.

Electricity - this can vary from time to time or year to year. When we first moved here the power was being rationed and it was out every 3rd day for 4 hours or all day for over 8 hours. (Knock on wood) Right now it is great, and only get an occasional power outage when they are working on it in town. Internet has also just gotten better, and is pretty decent. Nothing like in the U.S. but pretty good.

Cost of living all depends on how much you eat out, what kind of lifestyle that you like to have, if your housing situation includes a security guard, if you have a car, etc.

Hope this helps,

Bonnie in Iringa ~

Hi Bonnie!

Thank you so much for your reply! It really does help.

Hope all's well for you in Iringa!

Sam :)