Divorce In Egypt!!

And wow, just received email with attachment from him, saying these are the Final divorce papers, its Final, but all in Egyptian Arabic....... now to find one to translate to me for piece of mind..........   

Its stange how things turn out..... I never imagined it all ended like this, feels like heart ripped out all over again.

So Lost wrote:

And wow, just received email with attachment from him, saying these are the Final divorce papers, its Final, but all in Egyptian Arabic....... now to find one to translate to me for piece of mind..........   

Its stange how things turn out..... I never imagined it all ended like this, feels like heart ripped out all over again.

Official documents are usually in Standard Arabic, not Egyptian Arabic

Good day all- Question:

How is a divorce through the Ministry of Justice considered LEGAL and Final ?  I mean is it FINAL-LEGAL in USA?
As with a divorce in USA, couples must have a Judge sign it off the (Final Decree of Divorce) in Court .   But in Cairo, my (ex) did not have to appear infront of a Judge to divorce me- he says its final and legal in USA and Egypt.

So Lost wrote:

Good day all- Question:

How is a divorce through the Ministry of Justice considered LEGAL and Final ?  I mean is it FINAL-LEGAL in USA?
As with a divorce in USA, couples must have a Judge sign it off the (Final Decree of Divorce) in Court .   But in Cairo, my (ex) did not have to appear infront of a Judge to divorce me- he says its final and legal in USA and Egypt.

If you both attend the signing it is legal, final and binding

If only he attends, it is legal and final ONLY AFTER IDDA and ONLY IF HE DOESN'T TAKE YOU BACK during Idda.

No, he did not take me back, ( as he says ).  he says he divorced me 4 months ago, so I figure 90 days - 3 months for the Idda, and 30 for additional for  ( 30 days of Total freedom)  I will feel better when I see the translation in a few days........  with the DATE on it.....  As for the 4 months ago divorce, he did mention, I did not have to do the Idda, cause he divorced me 4 months ago.
Hey, thank you again Sir for your information on this topic.
My nerves are gone on this chapter of my life......

what is idda?

momodaime wrote:

what is idda?

A Muslim man's ex-wife cannot remarry during Idda (which is called a waiting period).

Idda is three menstrual cycles for women who still menstruate

Four months if a woman is not menstruating

and if a woman is pregnant, Idda is until she delivers her baby.

Yes is official, its over.......  Legal and binding....

Very precious informations. Thank you a lot dear The Egyptian. Me and my girlfriend are muslims and planning to get married. As a foreigner muslim man, I'll have same procedures as Egyptian man.

I have been reading with interest as I was once married also to Egyptian man.We married in the main office in Cairo and we also divorced there.I had a irrevocable divorce if memory serves me right.I am about to be married in the Roman Catholic Church for the first time and my priest needs a copy of my divorce because they need to file to have this marriage annulled before I can marry in the church.The problem I have is with all my traveling around I have lost my original documents. Can I contact anywhere in Egypt or UK to have replacements issuded???

jazzee wrote:

I have been reading with interest as I was once married also to Egyptian man.We married in the main office in Cairo and we also divorced there.I had a irrevocable divorce if memory serves me right.I am about to be married in the Roman Catholic Church for the first time and my priest needs a copy of my divorce because they need to file to have this marriage annulled before I can marry in the church.The problem I have is with all my traveling around I have lost my original documents. Can I contact anywhere in Egypt or UK to have replacements issuded???

You need to go yourself to Egypt, or ask your ex-husband to do it for you. Only either of you can do it.

The Egyptian wrote:
jazzee wrote:

You need to go yourself to Egypt, or ask your ex-husband to do it for you. Only either of you can do it.

or someone authorized by power of attorney as well

well this is not going to happen....me contact him, NO I don't think so,also I wouldn't know how. And as for going to Cairo at the moment, No I don't think so. I've waited this long,I suppose a little longer will not matter.

Thank you for your help

Contact a lawyer in Cairo that can help you with this. He will need a power of attorney from you that will have to get stamped by the Egyptian Embassy where you live. That power of attorney will probably also need a stamp from your embassy in Egypt. The Egyptian part can be done by the lawyer as far as I know.

basicus wrote:

Contact a lawyer in Cairo that can help you with this. He will need a power of attorney from you that will have to get stamped by the Egyptian Embassy where you live. That power of attorney will probably also need a stamp from your embassy in Egypt. The Egyptian part can be done by the lawyer as far as I know.

Doesn't have to be a lawyer. Any person she trusts in Egypt with power of attorney can get her the document.

I suggested lawyer as an alternative if she does not know anyone she wants to use for this.

basicus wrote:

I suggested lawyer as an alternative if she does not know anyone she wants to use for this.

I know. I just wanted to highlight it could be any trustworthy person to save her the arm and the leg the lawyer might charge her for a minimal amount of work.

Also a good piece of information about power of attorney in Egypt is that it can be made as "specific" or "general". You can specify the authorities/bodies/entities he/she is authorized to deal with, you can even narrow it down to a specific task (e.g.: getting a certified copy of divorce record from Ministry of Justice) .....

This is good as it guarantees that it won't be abused

thanks guys.

i do have someone that could do this.

Also is the finger print thing new as I never had to do any of this.We did the British Embassy,then the Ministry of Justice then all over Cairo to get things stamped when we married.

When divorced just the Mimistry then had to wait to pick up the paper.I was told to go to the court to get it stamped but I never did this.

thanks again for the input

Question:

Received papers, its a Irrovocalbe Divorce in Egypt.
I was not there to sign, and no one signed for me.

I understand this is legal in Egypt, BUT is it a legal and binding divorce in USA?  Keep in mind, he was not divorced from his first wife in Egypt, so that made me a 2nd wife, which is not permitted in the USA. So maybe that made the marriage invalid in USA??

We were married at Ministry of Justice in Cairo......

He divorced me 11/15/2012 according to the papers.
And I did know about it, and have emails to prove I knew he was divorcing me.

The marriage Is valid in the country where it took place...If you got married in Egypt and didn't report it in the USA or got it documented in the American Embassy in Egypt then don't worry about it.. And yes totally legal in Egypt for the Man to divorce you without your consent...

got married in egypt 6 monts ago i am america ,christian my husband is egyptian muslim i returned to ameica 2 months after marring my husband because am business owner ,we dint know that my husband wouldnt be allowed to come to america with me so we have to wait a long imagration process im in america filing the imagration process and he is in egypt wating he is tired of wating and feels he will never get visa to come to be with me so he said he divorced me 2 dys later he said he dint 3 days later he said he divorced me 5 days later he comes back and says i dint divorce you.... i dont know if im marred or divorced he changes his story all the time im sick of not knowing ...my question is how do i find out if iam divorced or married ????i am in america i dont want to fly to egypt to to find out he really did divorce me and he lieing about it ....... sooo confused some one plz plz reply that has knows divorce in egypt.plz reply quickly and does any of the goverment offices in egypt have phone numbers or email address ???? if you know them plz inform me soooooon......

Hi

I need, or think I need a lawyer for a divorce. Was married to an Egyptian in Egypt and things are not going well. He keeps insisting I ask him for a divorce otherwise won't speak to me.
Any suggestions (We are separated, he's in Saudi and I'm back home in Perth)

aussie33 wrote:

Hi

I need, or think I need a lawyer for a divorce. Was married to an Egyptian in Egypt and things are not going well. He keeps insisting I ask him for a divorce otherwise won't speak to me.
Any suggestions (We are separated, he's in Saudi and I'm back home in Perth)

then ask him for it ! I do not see where is the issue

Not knowing my rights would be the issue!

Why should I loose my rights when he is the one at fault?

aussie33 wrote:

Not knowing my rights would be the issue!

Why should I loose my rights when he is the one at fault?

Fine, you do have rights, but it depends on so many factors, as in for how long you have been married? how much deferred dowry was mentioned in the contract, and if you have children or not.

I need help with my divorce.
I have been married 11 years and he left me 6 months ago and went to Egypt. I was pleased as he was verbally and physically abusive. He left me in debt of his making and I had to move out the rented home and am now in lodgings and have no job.
He is living in my flat in Cairo bought with my money from my first marriage and for which I worked very hard. I lived tehre with him a while.
I have an English lawyer doing the divorce but she can't deal with the financial side as it is out of jurisdiction.
Does anyone know any good Arabic lawyers in Egypt who can help me get my money back etc? And get him to move out the flat.
Any help appreciated.

heriane wrote:

I need help with my divorce.
I have been married 11 years and he left me 6 months ago and went to Egypt. I was pleased as he was verbally and physically abusive. He left me in debt of his making and I had to move out the rented home and am now in lodgings and have no job.
He is living in my flat in Cairo bought with my money from my first marriage and for which I worked very hard. I lived tehre with him a while.
I have an English lawyer doing the divorce but she can't deal with the financial side as it is out of jurisdiction.
Does anyone know any good Arabic lawyers in Egypt who can help me get my money back etc? And get him to move out the flat.
Any help appreciated.

The question that will determine whether the case is feasible or not : is the property in Egypt in your name or not? Do you have the original/true copy of title deeds or not?

If it is in his name, I am so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but don't bother with lawyers ...... Even if a lawyer tells you otherwise, he'd be just looking into siphoning money off you.

once more, I am so sorry .... It makes me really ashamed that so many of my countrymen are scamming foreign women under false pretences of love :( .......

Hello,
The deeds are in both our names even though it's my money that bought the flat. I only found this out recently.
So how do I go about getting the flat sold and the money sent to me?
Do you know any lawyers in Cairo?

heriane wrote:

Hello,
The deeds are in both our names even though it's my money that bought the flat. I only found this out recently.
So how do I go about getting the flat sold and the money sent to me?
Do you know any lawyers in Cairo?

Both your names equally (50-50 shares) or differently?

Yes I do know a few lawyers in Cairo, but that is going to be a long, protracted lawsuit :(

The fact that it was your money is irrelevant in Egyptian law :(

Should I sort it using English law then?

heriane wrote:

Should I sort it using English law then?

It's out of jurisdiction. English courts have no jurisdiction or sovereignty over Egyptian property ownership or property contracts drawn in Egypt.

Also depending on your and his religion, if you were married in Egypt, a divorce in the UK might not be legally binding in Egypt.

hi i am an EU citizen and i had got married to my Egyptian coptic husband in the office of the External affairs in cairo. we have decided to divorce. could you please tell me what is the exact process and what papers do we need and how much time does it take?

pentheo wrote:

hi i am an EU citizen and i had got married to my Egyptian coptic husband in the office of the External affairs in cairo. we have decided to divorce. could you please tell me what is the exact process and what papers do we need and how much time does it take?

What is ur religion?

orthodox

pentheo wrote:

orthodox

Unfortunately you can never get a divorce in Egypt

but i was baptised coptic there

and we didn't get married in church

Still

If you didnt get married in the church you can get a divorce.