Working in Malta - Moving from UK

Suggestion. E - mail this person: [email protected]
I have PM'd you.

Can somebody tell me is it much harder for non EU citizen to find a job in Malta and to get a working permit?
I think my monthly expenses will be about 300-400E so i hope i can earn more even in low pay jobs but my main concern is will i find a job there because i come from non EU country.

Edit: Sorry,i should open new topic but don't see delete option here only edit post...

New Topic button is at the top left of every post or top right of forum page.
You cannot delete just edit, delete text, insert a . and submit.

As someone from non EU I think you will find it very difficult because jobs are given to Maltese Nationals, then EU and then non EU if no one from previous two categories can be found.

Hi all,

I have read through the above (about a couple of hours or so) and have a few specifics, initially of course, to ask any kind soul who would care to answer.
1. My line of work has been advertising sales, sales training, telephone and field sales. I am very articulate and wonder if there is work available for magazines, PR etc, My wife has a background of admin, hotel work and facilities management.
2. If this isn`t possible is it realistic to start a boat trip/watersports type of business without hassle?
3. Can a 2yr labrador take the Maltese heat after UK living, ie, anyone done this?

Thank`s in advance,

Steve

Steve in Kent wrote:

3. Can a 2yr labrador take the Maltese heat after UK living, ie, anyone done this?

yes, but might need aircon in August, but so will you probably :-)

True enough lol. Do you have a dog?

Two, a tal fenek and a pointer/great dane/? rescue :-)

Hey, Can u send me all the details on moving to Malta please?

Hi could I get the link please

done :-)

Hi,

Same here please.

Hi

Hi All

Hope everyone is keeping well.  I have read through the whole thread and think its great everyone takes the time to give some helpful feedback and help :-) Me and My partner are also looking at moving to Malta from London (we are both English)  leaving all the hustle and bustle behind us after working in the centre of London for 20 years now had enough.  I would be interested in hearing from some of the people who have already taken the plunge... How easy it was in finding work? How much is rental per month? Is it cheaper to go through a letting agency or would you recommend renting privately with the landlord? Also how does the health service work, do we have to pay or do we receive free health service? My partner is diabetic and is on regular medication so its a big concern of our's that this would not pose a problem.

I currently work as a Director of Revenue for a International hotel company (unfortunately only place they don't own a hotel is in Malta typical!) and my better half works as a Painter and Decorator, we are actually happy to do any sort of work as long as it pays the bills and we can eat haha.  We have heard that there is plenty of work if you are a professional painter, not sure how true this is or not.  Also not sure if it would be suitable for my partner to work for himself once he had some contacts? would be great if anyone has any info on how accurate this is, we both don't speak Maltese but looking at learning.  Also last question I promise, does anyone know how the parking permits work?? we have just returned from staying in Buggiba and visiting the full island with Gozo and found the parking restrictions confusing, do you need a parking permit in each part of the island, everywhere mentioned that the area was a tow area.

All have a great day and thanks in advance any help/advise you can give.

Hi,

Myself and my wife have just moved to Malta last week and finally have our internet service up and running. I can give you some basic information as to what we have discovered before and since arriving in Malta. I hope it all helps.

Finding work shouldn't be an issue once you have internet as this makes things a whole lot easier. There are a lot of jobs around especially during the summer period which is just beginning. Our rent per month is 300EUR plus bills. As this is our first month we can't say exactly how much the bills will be but estimate in the region of 100-150EUR a month. This would be for your water and electric, maybe an extra 10-20 for internet and depending on income and how lavishly you eat around 100-150EUR a month for food. By the way, there are a few Lidl stores which will help as well. We rented with an agency called Simon Mamo, you can search them in Google and check them out. One of the biggest in Malta. You would need to pay an agency fee of around 150EUR plus a months rent. Don't forget about tax which will be added on top of this, think was 18 or 20%.

Healthcare is something that I have not looked into too much only because I am here for a short time and feel I won't require it (a bit silly of me). However, I believe for EU citizens it is free but check this out to be sure.

Maltese? don't worry about it. Unless you want to learn another language then go ahead. Myself and my wife do not speak Maltese and only know basics but having said that, we have never used the basics. Maltese and English are the 2 official languages of the country. English is used everywhere, whether it be a little broken or very broken you will be totally fine. Just speak to them normally, maybe a little slower and clearer and its just like being in the UK. The advantage we have however (being English) is that the greeting "Hello" is the same in Maltese, "Hello". So, just say hello and they can tell straightaway whether to speak to you in Maltese or English just by the accent. You will be totally fine. However, learning Maltese can open up more job opportunities for you. Knowing any additional languages is also a bonus.

Parking I am not sure of as I don't think I will be driving here. The buses are very cheap and very pleasant to use. They are clean fresh and cool. Mostly on-time but don't count on it. For just 1.50EUR you can travel all day any route on and off the buses until 11pm.

Just a bit more information which might help.

If arriving late stay in a hotel for a night £30-£50 and you get breakfast in your mini apartment at the Club Salina Wharf in Bugibba. The following morning (make sure you arrange this in advance with the estate agent) you can complete your agreement with the estate agent and move into your apartment.

Internet: Get this done as soon as you can, if required. We have spent a week without it and it was hard. We got lost a few times didn't know where to go, how to get somewhere etc. It would of been very useful so get this done. We went into the GO place in Naxxar as advised by GO with my passport (being British) and debit card (UK card is fine). Everything was set up and just paid 25EUR for the wifi modem. Few days later they come to install it for you along with the phone line which is required for the internet. 2 days after it is active. However, I phoned the GO technical support the same day of installation and they helped me activate it straightaway. It is a 2 year agreement but you can cancel before the 2 years is up which is a 75EUR fee and return the equipment to them.

Residency: You may already know but, to stay here longer than 3 months (90 days) you must be economically active. This means self-employed or employed, think it also includes studying as well. Once working get your residency card ASAP as this will allow you to stay beyond the 90 days.

Accommodation: We set everything up whilst out of country and once in Malta we finalised the agreement and moved in.

Gas?: Don't worry extremely cheap. You buy a gas bottle for around 45EUR for your cooker, this come full of gas. Plug it in very easily and it should last around 5-6 months. The gas bottle is yours. Once empty just get it refilled for around 19EUR. The gas man drive buy every week pumping he's horn very loudly so you know its him. Not sure if he refills but he definitely sells the gas bottles.

Pumping Horns: You will notice that cars life to pump their horns a lot when driving down narrow streets approaching junctions. They are not mad people! They are just warning other road users and pedestrians that they are approaching.

Shop Hours: Be warned that if you expect to go to a shop at 3pm and buy something, expect it to be closed. The shop hours are mostly something like 9am-2pm and then 4pm-8pm.

Calm and Tranquil: The atmosphere, people and surroundings are all calm. People are very polite and courteous, crime is extremely low and prices are about the same as the average in the UK. Maybe slightly cheaper. Minimum wage is around 700EUR a month and with 2 people working on just that you can live very comfortably.

I am going to be quiet now I think that is all I can say and assist you with. Most of the above you probably already know and some is from our own experience.

Sorry I could not assist further.

Regards,

Chris
Currently Living in Malta

There are several errors in the post above, so many not sure where to start really, but

" you must be economically active." - no, if you have sufficient capital or savings/investment income, you dont need to be

"Healthcare.... I believe for EU citizens it is free" no, only if you are paying social security contributions or transferring rights from another country

You can always ask "georgeingozo" for more information.

Thanks Chris, we really appreciate the time you getting back to us :-) huge help to us.  Great to hear from someone who has just moved there.

Crazy thing is we have just returned a couple of weeks ago and actually stayed at the same hotel for the week, completely small world haha

Its given us some places to start with along with the millions other jobs we have to do.

Hope your enjoying life over there, and liking the nice weather

Anne Marie and Warren

I have been over here three months now. My best tip is
Do your own research for everything as everyone has a bullshit story to tell in Malta

I don't know where to start with chrisc58's post. So many inaccuracies and differing observations. Obviously one has to allow for alternative perceptions of life here.  :/  Read this for the FACTS regarding EU expat residence and health care etc. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

chrisc58 wrote:

You can always ask "georgeingozo" for more information.

Correct and his information will be accurate and not misleading as yours is.

Hi,

It clearly wasn't as I discovered by talking to the authorities directly, which is what I would advise anyone to do so they are not misled and confused.

chrisc58 wrote:

Hi,

It clearly wasn't as I discovered by talking to the authorities directly, which is what I would advise anyone to do so they are not misled and confused.

Care to elucidate about exactly what information is incorrect and one needs to speak to the authorities about?
Had to laugh as experience informs me and others that sometimes you can ask 3 different people, in the same department, the same question and get 3 different answers!

Hi All
I was wondering if you could give me some advice? My Auntie lives in Malta and I've decided I would like the opportunity to work in the UK and Malta sos I can get to see here more and because I've fallen in love with the place.
Do I still have to apply for residency/citizenship? I know because they are in the EU I can just start work but what about tax and an NI number?
Thanks x

TootyFruity wrote:

Hi All
I was wondering if you could give me some advice? My Auntie lives in Malta and I've decided I would like the opportunity to work in the UK and Malta sos I can get to see here more and because I've fallen in love with the place.
Do I still have to apply for residency/citizenship? I know because they are in the EU I can just start work but what about tax and an NI number?
Thanks x

There is lots of information on here, try this one for starters https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

Thanks for the link x

Hi all, we are looking into moving to Malta this time next year  but have no idea where to start so any info would be great. We have two children the eldest will be starting high school next September and the little one will still be in primary school. My husband will have a job there but I would need to find one is there help from benefits if we need it or are we better off spending less on housing so that we have money in the bank. We have a few pets and would obviously want them to come with us how does that work. Thankyou

1, you need to come out to malta , see whats around and do some research into schools, areas to live cost of housing etc
1 a) read the forum stickies , the forums  and ask any other questions you may have
2. i would advise renting first for a few years, because renting is cheaper and also you can then make sure you have made the right choice , found right area etc ..
3. no to benefits UNLESS you are on say jobseekers allowance before you leave  the uk , they have an agreement with the ETC and the DWP where they will pay you job seekers to look for a job in malta but you would have to meet the criteria etc .
4 plenty of  work out here but most is low paid (not so bad if you have your husbands income etc)
5. pets can be bought over you need to make sure you have pet passports and the pets are innoculated properly and then when you get here you need to look into the information on pet ownership.
6. if your bringing pets then maybe you may want to consider driving to malta rather then flying ,.

Hi could you please send me that link that a lot of people are asking for regarding information  about working and living in Malta.
Thanks.

Dear all!
Could anyone please send me a link with a 'Moving guide' please?
Thank you!

coxf0001 wrote:
TootyFruity wrote:

Hi All
Thanks x

There is lots of information on here, try this one for starters https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

link is in this post , also read all the forum stickies , they are the threads at top of the page

I've read all the thread and unfortunatelly still don't get where the link is attached. The screen is full of adds and they are kind of disturbing :-(
Is there anyone who can help me with the link? ))
Many thanks in advance,
Regards,

Can I get the moving guide link please  :)

Baxter19 wrote:

Can I get the moving guide link please  :)

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

Me & my partner are looking at relocating to Malta. We've been living in the UK a while now but have both lived abroad before, me in The Netherlands & him in Australia. He's a trained chef, and I'm trained in Hospitality Management & regularly Breakfast chef too. We're wondering what our chances of finding work in Malta are like? We're coming out for 12 nights in December to suss out the culture and explore a little.

Does anyone have any good advice? 12 nights is a good amount of time to get things in motion if we like it out there.

Your not doing to find much in terms of work in those fields in December time - purely because a lot of them will be seasonal work - being young and British you shouldn't have much problem finding work but worth noting that much of the restaurant trade is part time work and low paid - even a chef is not likely to get more that 1000-1300 a month

Hi everyone,

Good to be here and also fined some relevant info about Malta which i am interested in, is great.
I am a Nigerian living in Italy and have got no job here, despite having all the needed Italian documents, I am thinking about leaving Italy for Malta.
Please, i will highly appreciate if anynoe could let me know the chances of getting any kind of work probably manual jobs since i am not EU citizen also if English is a widely spoken language there at least for one to have power of communication before learning their language.

:/  just thinking if i could have a chance of getting a job and surviving in Malta as Non EU citizen. Please your advice is highly welcomed and thanks in advance.

This from a previous post..

" As someone from non EU I think you will find it very difficult because jobs are given to Maltese Nationals, then EU and then non EU if no one from previous two categories can be found "

Terry

Plus some Maltese don't like black people so good luck with that .........sad but true !!!

Hey
I know your post was a while back but regarding to Malta and moving there and you sent a pm to someone full of amazing info. I'm wondering if you can do the same for me at all on ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi can you send me the link please