ricky wrote:

All expenses paid !

Do they have pirates there?

CXheers
Ricky

In Malta we call them landlords!

shiver me timbers me hearties. arghhhhhhhhh jim lad back in the barrel for ye

Hi Claire,

My advice is, just have a go and try your best. I feel that sometimes people are too negative and this might put some people off. I think that everyone who wants to make a move to another country has to try and see if it works. If it does, great, if not, it's not the end of the world, at least you have tried. I see so much negativity on some comments that's unbelievable.

Good luck!

Antonio

Btw, I have replied to your PM Claire!

My thought's too!  Thank you Antonio for the pm :-)

mantonas wrote:

Hi Claire,
I see so much negativity on some comments that's unbelievable.
Good luck!
Antonio

Is it negativity or realism?
Everyone's circumstances are different and many of us take those circumstances into account when trying to answer/questions/help.
It may seem to be negativity but to mislead people is not the ethical thing to do. Only by being realistic in one's opinions/advice etc. can anyone help people then make their own decisions, for which, of course, they are then responsible.

id go with Red on this one- if being realistic is negative then so be it..... all respect to those who come and try their utmost to make it here - its what we did we came here knowing nobody, but we did what we did to make sure we committed to trying to make it work and for us it did...but like many on this forum we are lucky enough not to have to work to live here - that is hard task Antonio. its hard to find a job, its hard to do the hours required to make a living wage, its frustrating to accept certain things and its hard to live (i dont mean survive) on the low wages especially after the wages levels of a persons home country... but fair play to those who try - but i mean that for those who DO really try.

Many think its easy - and fail..... Believe me it isnt. I am not knocking anyone who wishes to try and make it here - good luck to everyone of them but at least be realistic about the success rate..... knowing of the many pitfalls is the first step.

Agree with you guys (redmik and toon). I know we try to be as realistic as possible when advising people on their move to Malta, but to be honest, sometimes, isn't as bad or as hard as it looks from some of the comments I have seen before. I also did some research before coming here but in the end, I also decided to move even thought I was the only family member with a job, my wife was jobless.

Fortunately everything worked fine, she found a job within few days of being here and in 2 months, she changed jobs 3 times until settling down with CareMalta. I Know everyone is a case but the only think I can say is if someone really wants to work and makes an effort to find a job, they'll find it.

In my personal experience, the best way to learn it's by trying and figure it out by yourself.

mantonas wrote:

In my personal experience, the best way to learn it's by trying and figure it out by yourself.

It's good to have that positive attitude :top:

Evan a negative response can result in someone making a positive decision!

redmik wrote:
mantonas wrote:

It's good to have that positive attitude :top:

I am a positive person by nature remik. Within the last 15 years I have been abroad, I have been through a lot from the best to the worst but even on the bad experiences I had, never stopped believing that the best was still to come :)

tearnet wrote:

I agree with you but if someone gets put off due to a negative comment, they will still think that if they had tried, it could had gone well.

mantonas wrote:
tearnet wrote:

I agree with you but if someone gets put off due to a negative comment, they will still think that if they had tried, it could had gone well.

Agreed; to a point. I believe we also have a responsibility to 'tell it as it is'.

redmik wrote:

Agreed; to a point. I believe we also have a responsibility to 'tell it as it is'.

True, we do have that responsibility. But, if I was to follow exactly what I was advised when I did my 1st post about moving to Malta, I probably would not be here now.

mantonas wrote:
redmik wrote:

True, we do have that responsibility. But, if I was to follow exactly what I was advised when I did my 1st post about moving to Malta, I probably would not be here now.

And therein lies the individual's responsibility for themselves.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

id go with Red on this one- if being realistic is negative then so be it..... all respect to those who come and try their utmost to make it here - its what we did we came here knowing nobody, but we did what we did to make sure we committed to trying to make it work and for us it did...but like many on this forum we are lucky enough not to have to work to live here - that is hard task Antonio. its hard to find a job, its hard to do the hours required to make a living wage, its frustrating to accept certain things and its hard to live (i dont mean survive) on the low wages especially after the wages levels of a persons home country... but fair play to those who try - but i mean that for those who DO really try.

Many think its easy - and fail..... Believe me it isnt. I am not knocking anyone who wishes to try and make it here - good luck to everyone of them but at least be realistic about the success rate..... knowing of the many pitfalls is the first step.

I agree and over the years, I have seen people come and go, come and go. You listen to their dreams. In the begining, you help and advise, they don't take it, their choice and within the year they have gone. They weren't prepared for the REAL hard work that goes with staying here.

At least on the forum, they have evryones advise and ideas. If they still choose to come, then they need to remember the advise they have been given and use it to their advantage to get ahead and succeed.

To be honest, I have given up on making friends with new people arriving. On here, I don't have to get emotionally involved and can tell it how it is (in my eyes,)

Hello,

I moved to malta 6 months ago from the uk, i had money but no job,

i found a waitressing job straight away and found a flat share online 2 days before my flight.

I now work for a good company and have my own flat in bugibba.

I am currently trying to move nearer to my work as the buses take forever.

The only thing i struggle with is making friends that are my kind of people, ive made a few but english people get our humor more than maltese.

Good luck you should defo do it! :)

Hi
I am looking to move my family to malta , we have visited malta few times and would like to get away from the hussle bussle of the uk
I am a motor trader and my partner is a hairdresser , I would like to work in the motor trade or supply cars between the uk and malta , i also have experience in import export of japanese cars which seem to be popular in malta
Does anybody know of anyone in that field who may be looking to employ somebody like myself
Also any good sites to find a nice property , something Private or beach , not apartment
What is the Vat and income tax in Malta
Lee

Hi Lee,
Hairdressers are 2 a penny and don't earn much, it would be pocket money really.
You would really need to speak Maltese to sell cars to Maltese.
A private house/villa by the beach is going to set you back over 1000 euro a month.
Tax rates are on a thread in the tax section. Vat is varible depending on what you sell but the highest is 19%
The law in registering imported cars is a nightmare for people just registering one car, never alone setting up a business as a expat in a country that is good at not telling you what queue/department you need!
Good luck!

Hi Lee,

welcome to the forum.

You have really chosen two job hotspots there - car trading and hairdressing!

The Maltese 'car mafia' would serve you in pieces for breakfast if you tried to intrude into their well organized business which includes having contacts at the right government departments and speaking Maltese.

The import of Japanese and UK cars is well organized. I myself drive a used imported Toyota Vitz that I bought through Toyota here in Malta. They had hundreds to choose from.

I've never seen a foreigner working in the car sales or repair business.

You will have to do your homework on your job choice really well to have the smallest chance of succeeding.

I wish you luck.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Cheers
Ricky

Just to clarify, it's highly unlikely, but not impossible, my husband works in one of the main dealership garages, the only non-maltese in the company mind you.

Justina

Hi Justina,

thanks for your clarification and confirming that it could be very difficult to secure work in the car sales/repair business.

What qualifications would someone need to work in the trade as a non-Maltese? More on the technical side as a car mechanic/electrician ? Or something else? How important are Maltese language skills?

Thanks for your reply.
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Justina,
What qualifications would someone need to work in the trade as a non-Maltese? More on the technical side as a car mechanic/electrician ? Or something else? How important are Maltese language skills?
Ricky

Previuos experience as a mechanic and experience in similar fields helped. He doesn't speak Maltese apart from couple of basic words. To be honest I would say a lot was to do with luck and good timing. They needed the person pretty urgent, my husbad went for the 'trial week' & they were happy to keep him.

Justina

I can see how a machanic would find work over here but I would think that car sales would be annoying....Imagine having to watch your commission pass you buy because you couldn't speak the same language.
I am in a field where I need to speak Maltese and it can get very frustrating on both sides. At least I am not commission based!

coxf0001 wrote:

I can see how a machanic would find work over here but I would think that car sales would be annoying....Imagine having to watch your commission pass you by because you couldn't speak the same language.
I am in a field where I need to speak Maltese and it can get very frustrating on both sides. At least I am not commission based!

Tinna9 wrote:
ricky wrote:

Cheers
Ricky

Just to clarify, it's highly unlikely, but not impossible, my husband works in one of the main dealership garages, the only non-maltese in the company mind you.

Justina

I also know of at least three people who work in the game too. all brits

Hi toon,

thanks, I guess my opinion was wrong then.

There seems to be plenty of room for British car dealers in Malta , Lee.

I wish you success
Ricky

its not about opinion Ricky just perceptions

Hi toon,

yes , you're right.

Unless you really are an expert on a topic yourself you can only answer such a question about job possiblities based on what you see in everyday life, hear from others,read in newspapers over a longer period and possibly even experience yourself.

Even then you probably only see part of the picture.

I'm still a bit cautious about overall chances of setting up a successful business as a car dealer but as others have succeeded I'm sure Lee will do fine too.

Cheers
Rick

agreed.

hi..nice to meet you..my son and his girlfriend are comng to malta
next week and would love to find jobs for them both...we were also wondering if you could recommend any available rooms to rent out on a budget [please].

kind regrds sallyann bentley

Hi Sally Ann,

welcome to the forum.

I lived in Petersfield not that far away when I was young !

Give us a bit more information and maybe we can give some decent advice and help. 'Coming to Malta and looking for jobs' is next to nothing.

What kind of jobs are they qualified for ? The season for 'any kind of job' is just coming to an end but Malta does offer opportunities for qualified workers even in the winter season.

Check out the housing section on this forum for rooms! IT is one of the best for shared accomodation.

The more info the better advice you get.

Hi

we have just made the decision that we would like to move to Malta, after getting married there earlier this year.  Trouble is, we really don't know where to start!!

Do we have to have jobs before we move out, or can we look for work once in Malta?

We would both be leaving good jobs in England but the need for less stress in our lives has taken over, and Malta seems the ideal place to settle???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Is there any where on the Island that we would be more likely to find work??

Thanks in advance

Welcome and  would first suggest you read the plethora of threads on this blog to answer many of your very general questions. Then perhaps you can narrow them down and we could be of more specific help?

Mrs F - I'll send you a link covering

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the residency application forms ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ? - EDIT no longer applicable as ID cards no longer issued to foreigners
11. what documents do I need to apply for residency ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13.1 buying a property FAQ
13.2 selling a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate
19. EHIC
20. electricity/water bills - domestic v residential

[moderated: no free ads please]

Yep, we took the decision to move to Malta, I work in a travel management company (business travel) as accounting operations supervisor (administration)- 13 years experience. How easy is to find a similar job? Is it better to start searching before moving there or would it be easier when I get there? Any answer will be greatly received. Many thanks, Sofiene

Hi Sofiene,

welcome to the forum.

You can start looking for a job before you move to Malta but the chances are much,much better if you are in Malta.

You might find it difficult finding work matching your experience! Especially with a Maltese company but your languages might be an asset. Malta has connections with countries like Libya and Dubai.

Are you an accountant? That might help but the university is mass-producing accountants.

You'd better start learning Maltese. In administration jobs hardly anything goes without speaking Maltese. Don't be lured into thinking Malta is an English speaking country.

Cheers
Ricky

Not all administration jobs require Maltese. Malta has become an even more international country in the last few years and especially travel companies.  You definitely do not need to know Maltese.

There are many international companies you can approach.

move2malta wrote:

Not all administration jobs require Maltese. Malta has become an even more international country in the last few years and especially travel companies.  You definitely do not need to know Maltese.

There are many international companies you can approach.

I agree with you move2malta! I have a friend who got a job recently in accounting and does not speak a word of Maltese.

many thanks Ricky, I think it wouldn't be problem for me to learn Maltese as i'm Tunisian so my dialect/language is very very similar to maltese.
I'm a qualified accountant but all my working life has being concentrated on all various admin roles within a travel management companies (from invoicing to management fees ).