Working in Malta - Moving from UK

rtalabova wrote:

About moving to malta, could you be so kind as to PM me the link with all the information contained regarding moving to Malta? Thanks and regards.

Done ;)

Good luck!

Got it, thanks a bunch...:cool:

You're welcome ;)

Could you send it me please x

Dianneg48 wrote:

Could you send it me please x

Sent ;)

Thanks x

Hi we have been to malta on several occasions and are seriously considering making the move from the Uk.  We are a 30something couple with a combination of mainly retail/motor trade experience , can any body enlighten us to what the opportunities for work in these sectors is like?? And also if anyone could recommend any links or websites for jobs in these areas as well as any information on what we would have to do to become residents of malta.

thanks Ben&Emma

Hi Ben & Emma,

welcome to the forum.

Do you speak Maltese? Working in the car retail business will require Maltese language skills and involves mainly small private run Maltese family businesses.

There are ,of course, several large car company agents (Toyota,BMW,Opel and a few others) that you should contact for job openings.

Residency questions have been answered on the forum and only require settling in Malta and applying for residency and being able to provide for a living and health insurance coverage if you are EU citizens.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky ,

thank you for such a speedy response, unfortunately we do not speak maltese but it is something that we are keen to learn..although we have heard the maltese are not fans of the english learning their language LOL.

I believe emma will be fine getting into the motor trade in malta as she has great experience in admin and has worked for major companies before. She is also thinking about taking a course in Health Care which may be helpfull if those types of positions were available in malta.

I am a little more concerned with my own prospects, I have mainly retail experience which has predominantly been for sportswear shops. I have also just finished a 3 year University degree in Music Tech. I did manual labour and warehouse work throughout the summer holidays i had over that 3 years so im sure you can see my concerns at finding gainful employment without taking a job from a maltese person.

With residency , is it possible to send me the link that goes through all the details as there is so much on the internet its hard to actually work out which are the true facts and which are false. We are returning in july for our honeymoon in Sliema and have planned to go to the building in valletta which deals with british migration to malta (we have been before as we had planned to marry in malta).

thank you for all your help, in a sea of information knowing where to get started with it all is a little confusing. im sure you will see regular posts from us over the coming months as we really do want to make this happen.

Ben&Emma

Ben&Emma wrote:

.although we have heard the maltese are not fans of the english learning their language LOL.

the opposite is true

Ben&Emma wrote:

With residency , is it possible to send me the link that goes through all the details as there is so much on the internet its hard to actually work out which are the true facts and which are false. We are returning in july for our honeymoon in Sliema and have planned to go to the building in valletta which deals with british migration to malta (we have been before as we had planned to marry in malta).

once you move to Malta you need to apply for an eResidency document - that is all

applying for eResidence document
http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … dence.aspx

thank you George but excuse my naivety in thinkin is that it .. ? really we can jus sell up here find somewhere to rent out in malta get this document the eRegistry one u mention and thats it ?? I keep seeing that we need to have a certain amount of capitol behind us a married couple yet the prices i see vary could you shed any light n this situation for me.

Thanks again for your help

Ben&Emma

jus seen your post , thanks

you need to prove you have enough money to live on and have healthcover - all specified in the documents on line

Brilliant thank you thats cleared a lot up cheers for your help

Would be grateful for some living and working conditions in Malta.  Thanks Julie

Hello ! We are french , who are living in Malta to 6 months ago. We want to move us furniture and box to Nice ( South of France ) to Malta. Here , lot of people say me that the cheapper price is to move with people who come to UK in the same moving van. More people the UK come in malta than France. The idea is : You put your furnitures and more in your moving van and when you arrived in Nice , We put us furniture and a price is better for everything!

Thank you

Mantonas or George could I have the link as well please my move is becoming ever more imminent! :top:

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

JayJay1970 wrote:

Mantonas or George could I have the link as well please my move is becoming ever more imminent! :top:

Link sent jayjay!

Sorry but only now I have seen your last post!

Cheerio,
Antonio

move2malta wrote:

[Moderated]

Bit of a sneaky way of getting around the URL moderation. Doesn't inspire confidence off the bat...

Hi can some one give me some info on what i need  to get a job in Malta. I live in the uk

Paul barrett wrote:

Hi can some one give me some info on what i need  to get a job in Malta. I live in the uk

Do you think perhaps that a ''hello' and an introduction and a few specifics would help someone, perhaps, try to answer your very generalised and non specific question?
You need to help others to help you.

my partner and i are looking to move to Malta early next year. We would love to receive any advice from members who are already there or are going. :cool:

Us too :) hopefully in May Buggiba area, when and where are you going? Lots of help on here, everyone's lovely :)

theres lots to glean from here by going through the specific catagories - but anything more specific just ask away

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to all this.. We have been discussing the idea of moving to Malta with our son who has just turned 14. We have visted the Island many times and have fallen in love with the lifestyle (were looking at St Paul's Bay).. The prospect of coming over without jobs is quite daunting! My husband works in construction on excavation diggers, is this kind of work in demand??. Were thinking Oct time of moving..we do have friends in St Paul's Bay we could stay with until we found an apartment of our own. Anyone who has taken the plunge and gone for it would be really helpful.. we are from the uk. We do have enough saved to see us through 6 months.

its is indeed daunting without jobs - as they are  not easy to find never mind get them - and when you do succeed the low wages is a killer.

At home I work in the property market as a letting manager, ive seen alot of job advertisments for this kind of work it does seem that its all commision based income?! Would you say its harder to find work in October rather than summer months? Any help would be appreciated as were all set up to arrive in October.  I am also willing to do any waitressing/bar work to make a small income. I am aware the wages are alot less than in the UK so im not naive in thinking the wages are similar to back home. x

Hi claire,

work in the letting business is all commission based and usually requires having a car to take your clients to see the properties. I know there are a few foreigners working in the letting business but most are Maltese and Maltese language will most certainly help when you deal with the owners. Be aware that Maltese speak Maltese in business.

It will be much harder to find work in the hospitality/catering area as the main season ends in October.

Make sure that you discuss the schooling issue with your son.

Cheers
Ricky

It has to be said Ricky that in terms of the letting industry they speak maltese between owner and agent - as a mask too.....so the renter doesnt now what is being said - hence my learning of the malti language... or if you can take a malti speaker with you..but dont let on. sorry for my distrust but been subject to this too many times...once it happens i simply walk away......

Thanks guys for the replies, I intend on driving over as I know the purchase of a car can be very expensive so im bring my little punto to get around! I have a few agencies I have emailed with regards to lettings I can but try, my husband works in construction on excavation diggers and has all his certificates so maybe he will find work first? my son is happy to start school here a little later than when school first starts as standard of education where we arecis appauling. Thank you for the friendly welcome x

Hi Claire

I have to say from a different view from our side and that is you really dont need to know Maltese at all, everyone speaks english here and since we work in the industry we have had no problem whatsoever. Owner to agent, agent to client etc, you will get by no worries.
I would also suggest contacting Chesterton Malta as they are looking for letting agents desperately right now and I can assure you they are short staffed and have loads of clients coming in.

They are originally from the UK so you may know them, great bunch of people.

And yes everything is commission based.

Looking forward to seeing you on the island.

Cheers.

Hi claire,

your husband could be the first to find work although construction is slowing down here in Malta. Just make sure he learns enough Maltese to keep up with the swearing -))

If you have specific questions in the letting business let me know as I know several working in the property market.

Be aware that all agencies will take you on as you have to earn your way through rental agreements ( standard is 1 months rent for the agent). You have to deduct the agency fee and your expenses and tax and social security to judge your own income.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for the advice, I will contact chesterton malta and as for the swearing well im sure that's top of his to learn list hes a dab hand in english! :-D thanks again.. x

je souhaiterais bien vous inviter chez moi en cote d'ivoire

Hey guys we have all been invited to Ivory Coast :)

All expenses paid !

Could you collect the money from the guy inviting us all and pass it on to us so we can make travel arrangements.

Where is the Ivory Coast?

Do they have pirates there?

CXheers
Ricky

do they play football?