Working in Malta - Moving from UK

Hi guys,

I am very new to this, and i've never moved away from my hometown before so moving to malta would be a massive step,

At the moment i have a passport and money in my bank.

I intend to make a move to malta perminant,

Before i come out what documents will i need.. i am going on a holiday next week to see about jobs and accomodation is there anything i can be doing whilst im in Malta?

Surely i can't just turn up in malta, rent a house and start working.. what do i have to do before i can start working

I know this will all seem silly to you guys but i genuinely have no idea..

I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Kindest regards,
Jordan

Are you a citizen of an EU country ?

I think you can just turn up and work as a British Citizen, most EU citizens can too.

You will need an ID Card, just go to the ID office in Valletta and get one.

When you get a job then your employers will have to do a application for work permit which is automatic I believe but the paperwork and fee need paying its 50 euros or so.

I would get round the agencies here and send cv applications before you arrive, if you have a LinkedIn profile I would join the Malta groups.

Hope that helps. Although it is easier to find work when you are here I would have very reasonable expectations about how long it will take , it depends on your skills but some people find it difficult to find work here.

Hi jordlea,

welcome to the forum.

You should take the time to read the past posts in the relevant threads.

As an EU citizen (excluding Romania and Bulgaria) you do not need a work permit but have to register with the ETC when you find work.

I can't judge your specific job/work chances as you don't give any details but if you have IT qualifications and foreign language skills it should not be too hard. If you are looking for a ' I will do anything' kind of job it could be difficult to find a decent paying job and stay in Malta permanently.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you so muc for your replies, yes I am from the uk, and I am currently working tech support and have previous sales exp as area manager for the largest phone retailer in the uk. I am willing to do anything so Im not worried about finding work, I have enough money to support myself for the next few months either way :)

Each reply has been very helpful guys, thank you

I'm doing the same on the 23rd of May.. my partner recently moved for his work... add me on facebook if you can [email protected] :)

work permit not required as an EU citizen.

current Id cards are changing and will be invalid as 28th June 2012 - being replaced by a combined id card and residency certificate.... see the sticky at the head of the forum.

Hi Jordlea,

Welcome and there is also etc where they register you to help you find work but the best is linkedin and of course to search the newspaper the times of Malta.com, if you need a room temporary till you find a place within your budget just message me. In the meantime Good luck.

what you need -

1. residency certificate - working/economically self sufficient/student
2. ID card
3. register with ETC (if intending on working)
4. contact the Inland Revenue Department and register at the Expatriates section for a Tax number,
5. if you are working, contact the Social Security Department in order to be given an social security number.

1. and 2. are being combined

I've sent you a PM with a link covering

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the OR application form ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ?
11. what documents do I need to apply for OR ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13. buying a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate

I am also going to Malta for one week but looking to extend...if i find work and accommodation?! My experience lies with working with children, otherwise I am willing to do anything! I would like to think of coming to Malta as a stepping stone to becoming a working traveler :)

Hi i am just wondering how you are getting on in Malta,i am keen on moving abroad and have decided to choose Malta because my dad lived there when he was young, he said it was a rely nice place to live.
Just wondering if you could let me know what its like and is it easy to find a job etc.....

thanks Jamie:)

Hey im going to do the big jump and move to malta on 21st Apr and do exactly the same thing hopefully will find job very soon. Thanks for all the links everyone :)

I am kind of scared about moving to Malta, so if any one feels the same i would be more than glad to meet up with them and experience Malt together as mates.
Would like to get to know them before i got so inbox me if you are interested.
I have money and im a qualified joiner not shy of working so hopefully i would be a good person to experience Malta with. =)

Jamie

Hi jamie,

welcome to the forum.

Everybody making a move to a different country is scared and unsure about the future. That is kind of normal. The best way to counter that is the best possible preparation and doing your homework before you make the move.

It is nice that your dad liked Malta when he was young but that was long ago and has nothing to do with your own decision.

It is not clear if you have ever been to Malta yourself? If not then you definitly have to make a few visits to get to know the island yourself. Things have changed a lot since your dad was here - not all for the better.

Read through the posts on the forum. You will find a lot of information and different opinions about all relevant topics.

Having money will certainly help making the move -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hello

I am new to this forum, we are relocating to Malta in the next 2 months (my husband & me , both EU citizens & our puppy) , any information I found here has been really helpfull - thanks to everyone for sharing it. :)

Georgeingozo, could I ask for the link with the list of info to be PM'd to me? Would really appreciate it :)

GeorgeinGozo could you be so kind as to PM me the link with all the information contained regarding moving to Maltra? Thanks and regards

Hi,
I am reading the forum every day,Thank you all for the good information.
Georgeingozo could you please PM me the link with the information regarding moving to Malta.
Thanks and have a nice sunny day:)

done

Hey george could u PM me the link too I would be extremely grateful :) cheers

Me too please George

Gng, do you not think that list should be made a 'sticky'? Moderators?

Hi all,

the list that George is so kind to pass on to you is actually from a different Expat website.

Let's be thankful that George sends it out to you on request.

Thanks George -)))

Ricky

sent *2

Thanks George

Can i have the link As well Thank you :)

me too please.
Thank you.

sent *2

Can i have that link too?

Would you send it also to me please. Thanks

sent *2

georgeingozo wrote:

sent *2

can I have the link please?

can I get link too

Thanks

sent *2

Maybe it would be good to post the link here or stick a new post - I believe that a lot of poeple would appreciate such info pack.

Hey guys I'm movin over on my on in June to work and i won't no anybody.. Any1 here who has done it want to add me on Facebook to chat :) just search Eimear Howe

Can you send me a copy please :-)

jacquiemcnaught wrote:

Can you send me a copy please :-)

Just sent you the link you requested as GnG also sent to me previously.

Good luck!

Antonio

Thank you

About moving to malta, could you be so kind as to PM me the link with all the information contained regarding moving to Malta? Thanks and regards.