Have you recently gotten a job offer though you had no work permit?

Howdy all,

Is there anyone here who has been in the country with any other type of visa except a work permit, but who has been able to find a job?

I ask because of the unique situation where Home Office won't give you a work permit unless you have an offer of employment, and many firms won't want to hire a person who has no work permit. A catch 22 situation indeed.

On 2 or 3 occassions now, I wasn't called in for an interview because I don't have a work permit (I have a study permit), even though the recruiting person liked my CV and ordinarily wanted to invite me for an interview, but eventually didn't cos of no work permit.

I guess I am trying to see if there is another way/strategy I can go about getting a job.

Many thanks.

Hi.

I wish it was different, but no, you have to get that job offer..

Regards Sarah

Sarahk wrote:

Hi.

I wish it was different, but no, you have to get that job offer..

Regards Sarah

Thanks Sarah,

Yeah, unfortunately seems that's how it is. Will just keep pressing ahead.

PS. I had previously sent you a PM about the books you listed for sale in your profile. Will you please have a look at it.

Hi.

I remember, and am sorry for not replying, but I do not have them anymore. Try gumtree, I have seen them there before.

Ang goodluck finding a job.

Regards Sarah

You could get a work permit through an agent but that will cost an arm and a leg. the normal process is, u get ur employment letter and then start processing ur permit.

Sarahk is right, you have to have an offer of employment first.

The only time I have seen people successfully attend interviews is when they have phoned companies themselves. The trouble is that most companies don't know the immigration rules, and miss out on a lot of good skills and employees that way.

Try to call the companies on your own, and good luck!