Moving to Kampala with a baby

Hi,
I'm moving to Uganda, Kampala, for the job of my husband with a little baby. We are looking for a house, furniture,...
We will send a container with a lot of stuff but I wonder if it is possible to buy baby-food (for example Nutrilon) and are there shops to buy electro-stuff or beds?

Thanks for your reply!

Leen

Hi Leen and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

In Kampala, you will get anything and everything though not sure about that particular brand of baby food but definitely you will find it in Nairboi if its not here in Kampala. Someone can source for you from Kenya as buses are plying everyday.

about electro-stuff, they are in plenty. SONY, LG, Samsung and all other names (and also without names...:-))

hope it helps.

Hello Leen

Yes you can almost anything here - at a price. Baby food is one of the more expensive (imported) items. You might find your house girl will have a much cheaper local option she will recommend!

You can buy beds, although not a great choice. Buy the more expensive mattresses.

As for elec goods, sometimes better to buy here. For ex, I cant buy printer cartridges for my make of printer here.

As for what life is like in Uganda, feel free to check out my blog [url=www.muzungubloguganda.com]Diary of a Muzungu.

KLA is a great city, you'll love it.

Hi Leen,

You can basically get anything in Kampala. There are a few South African  stores like Game and Shoprite. There is also a woolworths and mr price. There is a good pediatric doctor at the Victoria university clinic in Kampala.

Hope it helps, I am also quite new around and live in Entebbe.

@JMCilliers, this is a quite old thread.:/

If you have info, do not hesitate to start a new thread on Kampala forum.;)

Harmonie

(Moderated)

Baby food, beds, electro-goods and the rest are all available in Kampala which has a significant expat and NGO occupancy.  If you are in Kampala you will have no shortage of anything that you want.

There are major malls (Oasis, Garden City, Lugogo Mall, for example).

P.

(Moderated)

Hey,
Welcome to Kampala! You will find many malls and supermarkets with baby food and affordable baby items. I suggest you come with your own electronics like blender, pump etc because they could be cheaper where you are from. You will find other useful things here. Do give me a call if you need help shopping coz am a mom too.