Obtaining permanent residence

No visa, just arrived at Kyiv airport had passport stamped as usually happens.

Sorry I have just been told that the red stamp in the passport is classed as an arrival airport visa.

Please PM if anyone has any idea of what we have been offered by OVIR, failing that we will have to go back to the mayor and get him to call again for us.
To recap, I have the arrival at airport visa in my passport, we have been told to supply my passport, certified translation of passport, proof that my wife can support me financially, doctors note, invitation and evidence of house where we are living and payment. The visa will be valid for three months.
I'm not convinced about the information supplied by OVIR.

Another update:
Went to the VaRD office and the main person was not there, but the young lady said that they can give me an extension to stay for 90 days, it is not a visa, if I leave the country I still will not be able to return until after the 180 days from when I first came to Ukraine. On leaving the office another lady from the same office said we might be better going to another country like Modova or Poland and asking the embassy there for a type D visa, she said it would be cheaper than returning to the UK and waiting 15 days for it.
Has anyone ever heard of this going to Moldova or Poland thing? I'm not 100% convinced it is allowed although the lady knows better than I do.

UkrAl wrote:

Another update:
Went to the VaRD office and the main person was not there, but the young lady said that they can give me an extension to stay for 90 days, it is not a visa, if I leave the country I still will not be able to return until after the 180 days from when I first came to Ukraine. On leaving the office another lady from the same office said we might be better going to another country like Modova or Poland and asking the embassy there for a type D visa, she said it would be cheaper than returning to the UK and waiting 15 days for it.
Has anyone ever heard of this going to Moldova or Poland thing? I'm not 100% convinced it is allowed although the lady knows better than I do.

you can only apply for Type D Visa from either your country of citizenship or country of residence. So  if you're British who happens to live in Germany for instance (with legal documents proving this) it means u can apply from the Ukrainian embassy in Germany or The UK, You cannot apply for Type D from Moldova or Poland unless you are legally residing there (and not just visiting).

Ok, Thanks, I will tell her she is wrong, when we go back there towards the end of the month.

its allowed... I went there twice.. for a p-1 and later the D.. you can get it in one day..if you get there in the morning.. just make sure you go on a day they process D visa's..call ahead.. make sure no weird holidays either.. and PS..bring a passport type photo..

pss..and avoid the Transnistria are when going into Moldova.. there's a Russian breakaway region.. if you take the wrong bus or train you could end up there.. and your passport won't have had the proper stamp.. avoid this area and you should be ok to go..

Ok, so we are considering registering for the extended stay that the VaRD office told us about.
I have until 20 May which is when my passport needs to be in the VaRD office for the extension to be placed.
I need to return to England for more clothes and belongings, if I fly back to England on 13 May and return on 14 May will I still be allowed to re-enter Ukraine as I will only have 13 days left of the original 90 days?

I hope that makes sense.

The last time I tried for permanent visa, I was shocked at the cost over £900 specifically for Britons!! Hopefully with new political climate the cost might come down. Love to hear from any Britons who've tried recently.  Thanks.

900 pounds.. for what?.. I am american but I think the admin charges including the D visa were less than 200 dollars..

get you D visa in a poor country like Moldova.. the charges are different..depending where you apply for it..Its not one price for all Ukraine Embassy's

For us Yanks it around $200 Perhaps Ukraine has different prices for different countries. I know that in the US there issues that can vary fees when a foreigner is seeking residence in our country.

Its tit for tat, as UK authorities charge the same amount for Ukrainians. Lucky you at under $200, I think its the same for the rest of the world.

milo55, I see you are in Sevastopol, have you had to get a visa under the new administration?

well..we are waiting for the new residency card.. but the Russians are concentrating on former Ukrainians to get their Russia passports first.. we don't know where we fit in the 'new order'..best bet ..stand by for further instructions!

Wish you all the best, nice place. Don't know what many Ukrainians will do this year as Crimea was a favorite summer spot.

In Moldova according to the consular fees page on the website prices vary depending on the reason you want to stay and where you are from, the price for a UK citizen getting a multiple entry permanent residence visa (Type D) is $1423, even though at the top of the pricing page it does say $200, For US citizens it is only $230, obviously the Moldovan's have something against UK citizens, the only other country is Netherland which is $541 almost a third of the price for UK. At first I thought it was a typing error but it is the same price in Romania and Poland, but in London the price is $200.

I have tried calling their offices at least five times per day to check but they refuse to answer the phone, when I did get through a very grumpy woman told me off for not speaking fluent Ukrainian or Russian and put the phone down, my wife has even tried when she is at work but nobody ever answers.

strange..I had a good experience going to Moldova.. and got it the same day..but being a yank..maybe there is a difference.. I'd go back to England and get yours if I was you rather than pay that high price..Ukraine in going thru somewhat of a revolution.. its not going to be easy .. maybe that has something to do with it.. they are near bankruptcy.. higher fees may be higher because of it

Hello UkrAI, thanks for info regarding Moldova.  We've got used to being unpopular in Europe for centuries. The high visa cost is a tit for tat caused by our government imposing equally high fees, I guess the idea is to reduce the numbers wanting entry into UK,  it seems nearly all English speaking countries attract a high number of legal and illegal immigrants, take Australia as an example, sadly all the politics hits chaps like me, so I do understand the reasons behind the high cost of my Ukrainian visa D sadly......

This Yank also agrees with Milo. Pity, but it is what is and unfortunately out of any of our hands ... Safe travels.

Further to my last post my brother in law who is a town mayor in a different town in Western Ukraine called the MFA in Kyiv on our behalf, they said that they were not aware of the massive difference in the fees for a type 'D' visa and said it should only be between $200 and $500, they say they will look into it and that it could be a typing error, they said that they do not have any problems with UK citizens coming to live in Ukraine.
For the time being I will opt for the extension of stay which is only 300UAH plus the cost of photos etc for another 90 days, however it does mean if I want to return to England I cannot reenter Ukraine until the original 180 days have expired which is end of August, hopefully in that time someone will know what happens after the extension has expired. I have been told three different things; (1) Once the extension has expired everything starts again, so I get another 90 days in 180 and can come and go as I please. (2) I will need to get need to get another extension to stay but will not be allowed to renter if I leave the country. (3) I will have to leave the country and return so my passport is stamped again.
Even the person at the mfa didn't know, so what chances are there that anyone else will know :/

By the Way Tradewinds 100, where in Blighty are you from, I'm from the NW.

I've crossed the border and came back in many times before getting residency..and each time it resets the 90 day limit.. can't say you won't get stopped.. but look like a decent person..and most of the time.. the 'rules' are not followed.. they let you in immediately..for another 90 days..

It gets complicated for sure!! When I asked the Type D visa at the London Ukraine Embassy, the lady had to check again at the cost, she was surprised at the high. I did try the Ukraine embassy in Istanbul hoping they would charge me differently sadly not!!

I live in the South of London, in Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey not far from Wimbledon and handy for London's Heathrow Airport. Are you from Lancashire or Cumbria? My family originated from North Yorkshire.

Finally got through on the phone to someone who knew things in Moldova embassy, He said that they have stopped doing the type 'D' visa on the same day, it now takes a minimum of 15 days and costs $1362, he said the reason for the high fee is because the UK charge Ukrainians extraordinary amounts for visa's to live in the UK, he said every country charges the same amount or very similar, this includes Poland who don't even need a visa to enter England.

I have considered Milo's suggestion of crossing the border at the Polish border, but a friend of mine said they are now being more vigilant and if you have less than 21 days left they will refuse entry, so I am knackered there as I have only 12 days left.

I am from Lancashire near Preston, hopefully I will not need to go back.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm currently in the UK sorting out things and I'm returning to Kiev end of the month to prepare for our three weeks hols in Punta Cana in Dominican Republic (bargain prices for all inclusive). My other half needs a rest from the continuous Ukraine/Russian politics!!!

Hello everyone )
I am a musician, english teacher living in Nikolaev. I have been here a while on a business visa and plan on staying in Nikolaev. My first and most critical thing to obtain is a residency card. I have been getting a lot of advise on the best way to do this. Even  my Ukrainian friends tell me the best and easier way is to just get married. ( real or not ). If anyone has an advise on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Well, I will be getting married to my fiance in Western Ukraine. I would never recommend to have a "not real" marriage, or breaking the law in any way.

UkrAl wrote:

Ok, so we are considering registering for the extended stay that the VaRD office told us about.
I have until 20 May which is when my passport needs to be in the VaRD office for the extension to be placed.
I need to return to England for more clothes and belongings, if I fly back to England on 13 May and return on 14 May will I still be allowed to re-enter Ukraine as I will only have 13 days left of the original 90 days?

I hope that makes sense.

How did you get on? Did you get your permanent Type D visa? Give us an update, thanks.

The update is this:
I extended my stay in May, when the 90 days was coming to an end the official at the VaRD office told us if I leave the country before the 90 days expires I can return immediately and have another 90 days, they said that I could only do it once after the next 90 days I would have to either leave or overstay. I am currently 2 days into an overstay, my problems are if I leave now I cannot return until February, I also have no place to live in England or a job there as the company I worked for has gone bankrupt. In January we will have been married for two years and I am considering applying for permanent residency then, another problem could be I have a  cr and think that will cause more problems. Naturally I am not going into details here on an open blog site.
So as I say i am overstaying although my lovely wife is scared someone will come and order me to leave anytime.

cr?

Thanks for the update, maximum they fine overstayers is just over 800uah, I was two days over, didn't think I was tried to argue no chance, I'm sure the fine should have been much less as 800uah is suppose to be the maximum, but I had a plane to catch so paid and left.
I'm currently in the UK going back 24 Nov, would be good to keep in touch or meet up if you're anywhere near Kirovograde oblast.

Remember Walls have ice cream!

Good luck!! I'll be right behind you,coming in on December 10th. Are you going to see a Ukrainian lady?

question, if you have been married for almost 4 years, can you apply for the PR straight away?

yes you can. I thought you had done this already.

never had the time to do it unfortunately

plus, the attitude of those bastards at the consulate in Dubai makes me dread the idea even more

If you are there on a business visa, you have already accomplished most of what is required.

Business visas are very rare in Ukraine.  So, I wonder if you are just there as a tourist and doing business?

Either way, you must go through the normal process - it is available on line if you do a google search.

You will register your and your visa at the internal population control office - I do not remember the official name, but they are in every larger town.  And Ukrainians all know about these offices, because they must register as well.

Take a fully bi-lingual person with you.  You will probably have to go from office to office, window to window.

You will have to make several appointments.  There are specific requirements to get a long term visa on your quest to becoming a long term resident.  I do not remember them, they do not really apply to my situation.

Regards,

Wayne

I believe the office is OVIR, as posted above.

You can apply if you've been married for two years, you must leave Ukraine apply for and get visa type D, enter Ukraine and then you can apply for PR. Visa D is the start giving you I think 40 days for PR process. If the PR process takes longer then 40 days you can extend your visa locally at the passport table office.

elguero wrote:

If you are there on a business visa, you have already accomplished most of what is required.

Business visas are very rare in Ukraine.  So, I wonder if you are just there as a tourist and doing business?

Either way, you must go through the normal process - it is available on line if you do a google search.

You will register your and your visa at the internal population control office - I do not remember the official name, but they are in every larger town.  And Ukrainians all know about these offices, because they must register as well.

Take a fully bi-lingual person with you.  You will probably have to go from office to office, window to window.

You will have to make several appointments.  There are specific requirements to get a long term visa on your quest to becoming a long term resident.  I do not remember them, they do not really apply to my situation.

Regards,

Wayne

Trilingual actually !

Ok Wayne, I do appreciate the response. And a quick question..

Did we meet in Nikolaev and are you from Texas ( if I recall ) ?

Just wondering as I am looking at your photo and you seem familiar..

Thanks )

Hello, very helpful insights.  I am not sure if this is myth or reality but is it not possible to buy perm residency by depositing over 100k US onto Ukraine and/or buying an apartment to that value? if so could I attain these resident permits/visas a little sooner.?
thanks in advance

Hi everyone

I have been dating my Girlfriend since we met on 26/10/2012 via the Internet. I visited her in July 2012 for a week, then returned two months later for 4 weeks, she has an apartment she rents so we stay together there. I continued visiting her every couple of months for 4/5 weeks at a time until I asked her to marry me after my divorce was finalised. Cut a long story short Divorce absolute was 25th July 2014 and I traveled back to Ukraine on 1st October 2014. We married on 22nd November 2014 and I am the happiest man alive, however my new wife has decided she wishes to go to my country of birth which is England and wants a Visa for permanent residency there.

This prompts 2 questions I need help with.......

1) Under the new laws that have been imposed by the UK Government which seem to change daily, I have been told to return to England and send my new wife all the relevant invitations for her to come and join me, bank statements, times spent together, where we went on honeymoon, photographs etc.....Has anyone else been through this and can offer any advice?

2) How long do I have to be in Ukraine with my married wife before I should apply for a Temporary Residence Order? It seems that because I am from England, under the rules for Visas in European Countries I do not require a Visa for visiting Ukraine but there is something about 90/180 days for visiting. Any Ideas please?

However I have been informed that as I am now married to my wife that is not relevant. Anyway I return to England within the week and have been here 110 days. So if I am arrested on the way out or when I return to Ukraine again in 3/4 weeks time, I suppose I will know I have outstayed my welcome.

Can anyone offer any help in regards to the points raised above?

Hi.

I did a little research on staying in Ukraine last night,  as i am due to marry in kiev this year.

Firstly, under the Family Code of Ukraine, from the second you get your marriage certificate from the Zaks, you are entitled to remain here.  Also under certain International Human Rights Acts Ukraine has signed up to and ratified, you are entitle to stay here. 

Your passport will get a stamp in it noting your marriage over and above the marriage certificate.

This is absolutely fine and dandy if you do not intend to leave Ukraine at all for the 2 years it takes before you qualify to apply for Permant Residency.

If you intend to leave Ukraine during this 2 year (plus admin time waiting for your PR Status "Passport") then you may have issues with some border staff looking for a Visa you do not need.

To stay here, even when married (and be able to leave as and when you want and be allowed back in), you have to register with the OVIR every 90 days.....which also means Zhek registration before you can register at the OVIR.

Owning your own property makes this somewhat easier, as you are registered at an address......having your own makes that much easier as many landlords are not too keen (for tax reasons).

What this does mean is that you must register every 90 days with the OVIR and Zheks to continue to remain legally here........which is a ball ache......until you have been married 2 years when you can apply for your PR Status.

Once you have done this for the requisite 2 years and have your PR Passport then you no longer need to register with the OVIR or Zheks as your registered address is shown in your PR Passport permanently (unless you sell and move).

At the moment, you do not need any form of Visa to accompany the marriage stamp and OVIR registration stamps in your passport to allow you to come and go as you please.

*Caviet* - The non-requirement for the Visa can change........because this is Ukraine.

If you intend to work here, then you will need Business Visa and a Work Permit.......even though you are married........until you get your PR Pasport after 2 years.

*Caviet* - At least that is how it was for me before PR status.  This may have changed.

In 2 years, after getting your PR status, then none of the Visa, WP, time in and out of the country BS applies to you anymore.  You are also entitled to take a Ukrainian passport should you wish to do so after 2 years rather than PR status. 

That is your choice, but holding 2 passports is a "grey area" if one of them is Ukrainian when it comes to the law.  Should you take it, of course, Ukraine has no way of knowing if your surrender your UK passport or not as it is property of HM Gov and is supposed to be returned to HM Gov and cannot be taken from you by Ukraine when issuing you theirs........but you dont have to and can keep both running concurrently with Ukraine and the UK being unaware of you holding each others passport.

The only advantage I can see to this above PR status is you do not have to fart-arse around getting Visas for Russia and other CIS nations which require them on a UK passport if you travel on your Ukrainian one.

You can of course vote when holding a Ukrainian passport (but not PR status).......but well, when the choice is as it is, what would be the benefit to it.

Living with your wife in England,  and British law can be a problem - British law at the moment says that you must wait 5 years before applying for citizenship in England,  this is a waiting period,  to prove that the marriage is genuine.

But i have been told there is an easier way,  and it takes only 6 months.

just take a look at the Surinder Singh route -  The Surinder Singh route is a method for British citizens to secure UK immigration rights for their non-European spouses, who are unable to join their partners because of several changes in UK immigration law aimed at reducing net migration. Through EU Regulations on Free Movement of Peoples, it provides a window of opportunity to reunite UK citizens with their spouses in the increasing number of cases where the new rules on income and other additional measures mean that such spouses of UK citizens would otherwise be separated by the requirements of increasingly strict visa controls.

The Surinder Singh route involves living and working elsewhere in the European Economic Area for a period of three or more months (there is no actual time period required by EU law but instead it is based on previous case law and its application) and then asserting the rights associated with EEA citizenship and free movement to gain access to their own country while being covered by European law.[1]

In so doing, the Surinder Singh route triggers European rights of free movement that have otherwise been removed from UK citizens by UK legislation.

In principle, the Surindher Singh route applies to all EU citizens – not just UK citizens. For example, a French husband could bring his Mexican wife into France by exercising his treaty rights in Spain. It also applies to qualifying dependent family members as well as spouses.

Dear Andi,
I believe that I got more useful information from you that I got from OVIR... Even though I emigrated from Ukraine to US 25 years ago, and I applied now with my husband (US citizen as I am ) for a PR, they gave me such a hard time...I got my PR 'passport after a serious complain", but OVIR doesn't want to register me on my brother's property where we rebuilt a house after the fire. They say they can't register on "dacha" , yet there is a new law that you can be registered anywhere you reside!!!My husband had to leave again not to exceed his 90 days; otherwise' he was told he would be deported...Even though I do speak Russian, those people take advantage of us,former citizens....They gave me 10 days!!!! to register before a New Year holidays, but I couldn't find anybody who agreed to register me and my husband. People are afraid here because it is Ukraine and laws could be changed without informing the population...If you or anybody knows about my situation,please send me an e-mail: [email protected]