What is your idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

can any one please help me get my high schools phone number??
the name of my high school is (al thanea wal arbaoon for girls, in jeddah its a public school!! please and tank you for your help :)

I enjoy many things about Saudi Arabia, but overall I find the place to be a very frustrating place.  The primary reason I find Saudi to be frustrating is because of the many unrealistic expectations that Saudis have with respect to society and social interaction.  One example, and there are many others, of an unrealistic expectation that Saudis have with respect to society and social interaction is the forced separation of the sexes that is enforced in the country.  This is not only unrealistic, it is unnatural and it encourages homosexuality.

Dear Expat.com Fellows!
Very informative thread....Keep up the good work..
Regards

but homosexuality is death sentence in Saudi Arabia i dont believed people can practice it more over people cant be gay here as it is not acceptable in religion.

james donaldson wrote:

but homosexuality is death sentence in Saudi Arabia i dont believed people can practice it more over people cant be gay here as it is not acceptable in religion.

You've GOT to be joking!  This is a gay man's paradise and I've met many here, from Western male nurses to ESL instructors!  There are also  gay Saudis around but they seem, generally, not to be as flamboyant as their Western counterparts.

agree...it is easier to pick up a guy than a girl, lol. and yeh if you get caught it is big mushkila

imraan007 wrote:

agree...it is easier to pick up a guy than a girl, lol. and yeh if you get caught it is big mushkila

I've had new guys on this forum complain to me that they are immediately swamped with gay propositions when they first join this forum :blink: and I myself have been IM'ed a few times by gay guys thinking I am mister alliecat :lol:

Saudi gay man can't be so open, anyways it is another discuss might religion police can see our thread gay or striaght it is their business lol!!

james donaldson wrote:

Saudi gay man can't be so open, anyways it is another discuss might religion police can see our thread gay or striaght it is their business lol!!

about the mutawa, true but we haven't named names! lol  I think we're safe :)

I am a Muslim from Spain and I can say it is  a very different country..too different for example comparing to Morocco .. my native country. I am married with two children: I'm practicing islam and my wife wears the hijab and yet I think I will never bring my childrens from spainto live here .. I miss them but be open minded is so important  for their education..
I advise to muy saudien friends to travel a lot and see other cultures ... The truth  of how real Islam is , is shared a little on the 4 corners of the world.

I think Saudi is great! I believe it could do without some of the strict rules e.g. giving women more freedom, but to raise a family, there is no better place. Plus life is way more relaxed here, compared to the West. And I dont know about everybody else, but the climate is actually quite nice. I mean its better warm than cold right?

OH!Canada wrote:

And I dont know about everybody else, but the climate is actually quite nice. I mean its better warm than cold right?

I can understand this, coming from -40C to +40C !! :)

[Moderated]

Alliecat wrote:
james donaldson wrote:

You've GOT to be joking!  This is a gay man's paradise and I've met many here, from Western male nurses to ESL instructors!  There are also  gay Saudis around but they seem, generally, not to be as flamboyant as their Western counterparts.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc … oset/5774/

imraan007 wrote:

james donaldson wrote:

S'mangaliso wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/5774/

Yes, I read that article a couple years ago.

Shocking!!! But there r some errors about Wahhabism and smoking prohibition. Not sure about the authenticity. But agree that there r instances of men trying to pick up men. A good friend told me how some1 mistakenly identified him as gay and tried to proposition him. So yeh I was surprised to hear this in such a reserved country

imraan007 wrote:

Shocking!!! But there r some errors about Wahhabism and smoking prohibition. Not sure about the authenticity. But agree that there r instances of men trying to pick up men. A good friend told me how some1 mistakenly identified him as gay and tried to proposition him. So yeh I was surprised to hear this in such a reserved country

I met a couple of gay male teachers from KSU who were talking about how much *action* they have gotten here with Saudis but how they're trying to avoid the nationals now because they're just too possessive!

Interesting. I guess my area is little more rural and more secretive about it. But I could understand the climate here. I mean basic animal instinct to have sex. Saudi is built for families and it's very tough for singles. Where is all the old fashion romance, hehehe. Candle light dinners, talking, staring and so on....just cancel that thought and get married Saudi style. Just kidding, I am sure it must be fun, maybe not what we r used to. Would be interesting to get some insight about the cultural practice here.

my advice for new visitors are. If you  do not know Arabic,please do not come to Saudi arabia. you will face big problem. Because here all officials around 98% will speak arabic only. They do not know English. They will not try to understand english. In the police circle is very worst. They will not listen your voice.

Hi everyone,
Well i have only been here several days but my take on living in saudi is. The people i have met are very friendly and respectful or wont look twice at you. the latter is the Same everywhere. Now there is plenty to do if you don't mind hanging out with only the same gender people as you. (downfall)But plans can be made such as on here.
But as far as i'm concerned the only thing ive noticed thats even worse than that is the driving. (holycrap)worse than new york cabbies.Wont stay in there lanes, cut you off go down oneway streets the wrong way.been here 3 days seen 6 accidents.

I am enjoying very much learning the culture here.
Shakrut for your time

What is your idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

Or the "magical" kingdom as many expats say. Well, there is good and bad like any place. It is definitely an adjustment. What is wild for me is that I have visited Bahrain,Egypt and lived in Turkey, Oman and UAE and Saudi Arabia is so unique. I really can't keep the other countries I lived in as a strong reference point because Saudi Arabia is so different.

My largest adjustments were:

1)The strong separation of the sexes. I am used to it in other Gulf countries just not the extent of it. For example, having to order from a family section at the McDonalds and not the single man section. It can be confusing at first, wondering, "Where do I order my food?" "Where do I sit?" Some stores never have women in them so I ask, "Is it okay for me to shop in there?"

2)Stores closing during the call to prayer. It was a shock to be locked in Carrefour for one hour during night prayer and then race to the register because everyone was finished shopping at the same time.My husband who is Bedouin says, "Saudi has to be conservative because it the heart beep of Islam" I say "Dear you mean heart beat right?"

3)Adjusting how I dress: I am a woman and cover up, but what is acceptable in Oman or UAE is considered "racy" in Riyadh. For example, I was fully veiled and my abaya had a flower design on it, not even sparkly. The religious police gave my husband a lecture in the mall about me "attracting" attention. I was so emotionally upset I left the mall not interested in shopping.

The most exciting part of Saudi Arabia is not understanding it, and to think I would get it better since my MA is focused on the ME.

Also, the cost of living is so cheap here. Every week I am doing happy dances:lol: because my meals are cheap, the dentist is cheap, petrol is cheap. This is the place to brush up on skills and save money. Smart people can get rich here.

If your are interested in more musings check out my blog.

http://www.sarahali.us/uploads/3/1/1/6/3116388/9689928_orig.jpg

sarahali wrote:

[color=#193918]]

3)Adjusting how I dress: I am a woman and cover up, but what is acceptable in Oman or UAE is considered "racy" in Riyadh. For example, I was fully veiled and my abaya had a flower design on it, not even sparkly. The religious police gave my husband a lecture in the mall about me "attracting" attention. I was so emotionally upset I left the mall not interested in shopping.

well....happened to me with a coworker. and i swiftly let the "religious police" know that not only are western women not required to wear the abaya, but we do it for respect. And to kindly F off.

he did so quite gladly. 
all you have to do is stand your ground....
they have no rights over us other than mixes sexes and illegal activities reporting.  remember that.

Any body can guide about furnished apartment for short term or like hotels for long term in buraydah al qasim

From what I've researched and discussed with friends already incountry, I guess my main 'ideas' can be broken down as:

The concerns:

Hearing of the bad driving.  If you get travel sick in the back of cars the stories of journeys in taxi are unnerving.
How to keep from getting fat and lazy when outside is too hot to walk/run in.  Sure there are gyms, but you have to travel, and pay, when with walking/running at least the scenery scrolls past enough to remove the boredom from the activity (with a walkman on).
Hoping your employer sorts out your exit/re-entry visas timely so as not to increase anxiety.
That 'entertainment' and travel doesn't cost too much, doesn't dip into what you are trying to save for specific purposes.
Losing 'complete' sociability. Meaning interaction with women.

The benefits:

Laid back culture
Little rain/snow/cold winds
Less crime
Better standard of living
Experience on the CV
Money to get more education for career progression.

Being male, I'm not going to encounter 'inconveniences' women do.  I already have friends there, and access to their friends circle (all male) I don't usually suffer culture shock as grew up in many countries.

Hi There,

Anyway, here are what I thought about Saudi Arabia.

Although thou country doesn't experience a lot of raining in a given season, I've just noticed that there are places that suffer from flooding when rain pours hard. I think there needs to be some sort of drainage system (bigger one if there is one already) especially nowadays when the global climate is "changing".

Traffic in some parts of the city is terrible. But that is understandable, as it is the case anywhere else in the world. What I noticed is that public transportation is still relatively dead here.

To get a driver's license can also be "nightmarish". Where else do you have to wake up so early in the morning to get ahead of the line and even hope to get your license card if they don't "run out of plastic"?!! - notice the exclamation points.

Interracial interaction is important here, but not everyone gives a damn about equal footing. I know, the locals get extra attention - that is understandable, but everyone else should treat all expats equally. Others get discriminated against, and I feel for them.

Driving again is terrible. I have noticed a lot who don't know how to signal. Some don't use them at all, and that is a complete disregard of safety. Whilst others are very conscientious, others are outright and outrageously imprudent.

Food handling in many restaurants is unacceptable, especially the ones from ... where they use their bare hands to handover the food. They've probably never met gloves before. That obviously have to change.

Aside from that, everything else is ok. Except of course the prayer time (but I have adjusted to it, so no trouble for me there). The place is ok. the system is lenient in some aspects, but is very much the opposite when it comes to banking requirements and other stuffs.

So far, that is what I thought about the country. No pun intended here.

cheers,

gonzrule wrote:

Hi There,

Although thou country doesn't experience a lot of raining in a given season, I've just noticed that there are places that suffer from flooding when rain pours hard. I think there needs to be some sort of drainage system (bigger one if there is one already) especially nowadays when the global climate is "changing".

Traffic in some parts of the city is terrible. But that is understandable, as it is the case anywhere else in the world. What I noticed is that public transportation is still relatively dead here.

To get a driver's license can also be "nightmarish". Where else do you have to wake up so early in the morning to get ahead of the line and even hope to get your license card if they don't "run out of plastic"?!! - notice the exclamation points.

Interracial interaction is important here, but not everyone gives a damn about equal footing. I know, the locals get extra attention - that is understandable, but everyone else should treat all expats equally. Others get discriminated against, and I feel for them.

Driving again is terrible. I have noticed a lot who don't know how to signal. Some don't use them at all, and that is a complete disregard of safety. Whilst others are very conscientious, others are outright and outrageously imprudent.

Food handling in many restaurants is unacceptable, especially the ones from ... where they use their bare hands to handover the food. They've probably never met gloves before. That obviously have to change.

Aside from that, everything else is ok. Except of course the prayer time (but I have adjusted to it, so no trouble for me there). The place is ok. the system is lenient in some aspects, but is very much the opposite when it comes to banking requirements and other stuffs.

cheers,

if these are all your worries, you should be living a happy life :D

no kidding, people out there got it a little more challenging.

Salman

Salman Omrani wrote:
gonzrule wrote:

Hi There,

cheers,

if these are all your worries, you should be living a happy life :D

no kidding, people out there got it a little more challenging.

Salman

Is there anything else that I should worry about, that I should consider myself lucky for now? :-)

Anyway, there are other things that bug me, but I ignore them every now and then. There is not a time when I go out that stranger follows me around to get my number.

My ideas about Riyadh are changeable. When I am in a good mood, I think it wonderful; when I am in a bad mood, I think it  terrible. When I am eating the delicious dates, I wish I could stay here permanently. When I am crossing the dangerous roads, I would like to leave Riyadh immediately. When I see women in abayas, I am scared of them. When I talk with them at their homes without black covers on, I am fond of them. When I am counting the money I can save, I am very happy. When I am forbidden to go to many public places, I am very sad.......
Riyadh is such a unique city that I love it and hate it at the same time.

Morningstar88

Riyadh has been a very unusual experience for me so far. First of all the weather. Alot of the time its hot, sometimes its raining with lightning and thunder, and sometimes your getting your airways blocked due to the sandstorms. Secondly, these roads are so pedestrian unfriendly that in the 3 months ive been here ive maybe nearly died a few times lol. Thirdly, there isnt much to do for fun here. Ive been to most of the malls, been quad biking, camel riding, you name it ive probably done it already lol. Now there isnt anything to do in the weekends, and i cant even go out for some good retail therapy as most malls, especially the good ones are female and families only lol. Luckily ive made some good friends, so we just chill out at each others flats and eat out. So far its ok. :)

Shopping is nice. :-)

I have a thing for carpets and middle eastern stuffs.

imraan007 wrote:

Make friends with the "catcher".

imraan007 wrote:

Don't be shocked. It happens.

I know someone who had done it at a parking lot because they couldn't do it in their own place. Anyway, I am interested to hear more about the beautiful things in Saudi Arabia.

Is there any ride/tour to the "middle-most" of the dessert for an over night camping?

Alliecat wrote:

People seem shocked that I haven't suffered 'culture shock.'  Maybe it's because I'd been off-handedly gathering info on life in the Middle East for several years (I'm very interested in traveling, geography and the world at large ;) )

Also, I think if you are coming here single, as I have--knowing nobody and having no connections--you have to be capable of amusing yourself.  If you're the type who needs constant activities and outside stimulation, you'll end up being a mall rat, buying things you don't need just to have something to do(but maybe this only applies to women?).

Ummm.. what was the question again?  :lol:

Mall rat :lol:

Ml7 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

People seem shocked that I haven't suffered 'culture shock.'  Maybe it's because I'd been off-handedly gathering info on life in the Middle East for several years (I'm very interested in traveling, geography and the world at large ;) )

Also, I think if you are coming here single, as I have--knowing nobody and having no connections--you have to be capable of amusing yourself.  If you're the type who needs constant activities and outside stimulation, you'll end up being a mall rat, buying things you don't need just to have something to do(but maybe this only applies to women?).

Wish I could take credit for that, but it's a common expression in the US :D

Alliecat wrote:
Ml7 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Wish I could take credit for that, but it's a common expression in the US :D

I loves US expressions :P:D

Private :

Who loves going to the mall raise his hand :lol:

Ml7 wrote:

It might interest you to know there are also gym rats ;)

Alliecat wrote:
Ml7 wrote:

So Alliecat  ... We can put rat + any work then we have an expression ..

Thanx for the information :lol:

Ml7 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Ml7 wrote:

So Alliecat  ... We can put rat + any work then we have an expression ..

Thanx for the information :lol:

Not really--it's pejorative and the 'rat' part refers to somebody who over-does something.  I've only really heard it in reference to mall and gym.  Never heard 'work rat' or 'restaurant rat' or the like lol