What is your idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

Alliecat wrote:

People seem shocked that I haven't suffered 'culture shock.'  Maybe it's because I'd been off-handedly gathering info on life in the Middle East for several years (I'm very interested in traveling, geography and the world at large ;) )

Also, I think if you are coming here single, as I have--knowing nobody and having no connections--you have to be capable of amusing yourself.  If you're the type who needs constant activities and outside stimulation, you'll end up being a mall rat, buying things you don't need just to have something to do(but maybe this only applies to women?).

Ummm.. what was the question again?  :lol:

Lol! I also haven't suffered "culture shock" ...well I did, but it was not Arabian in origin... i suffered shock from my own culture.  Filipinos abroad are totally different from Filipinos in the Philippines.  Sad to say, it's Filipino crab mentality at it's best in KSA.

It's been great reading everyone's posts on this topic. I'll be moving to Riyadh next year, so I appreciate any info I can find.

My 1st encounter with the Arab world was last year, when traveling to Egypt. It was rather a culture shock for me, and I too had a problem with unwanted attention & harassment from men ( even though I wore modest clothing), as blogger Jezzi had.

After a few days I'd started wearing a head scarf to cover my blond hair & to blend in a bit. That didn't exactly work either.

So on my 1st visit to Dubai, about 6 months later, I was scared of experiencing the same thing, but found it not to be the case at all, thank goodness!

From what I've heard KSA would be a bit more like Dubai, not so much like Cairo?

I really hope so.

Excited, yet nervous for the big move. I am doing as much research about the culture & people a possible to prepare.

Thanks for all the great info, this is an excellent topic.

Nice and quiet country.

Salma, the videos you've linked are highly disrespectful and you would get very punished for mocking Muslims and Islam if Shariah is implemented in KSA. So..grow up! I like that one thread "do's and don't in KSA." You can't do anything about it can you? No.

From what I've heard KSA would be a bit more like Dubai, not so much like Cairo?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, depends abt what, bt im sure ull find a greater cultural shock here than u found in Cairo......... Here is Like Dubai? i hope u heard well, bt i doubt it :p ull come and c :D

best of luck

Umm I'm going to bring up the extreme perceptions that us westerners have of Saudi Arabia.

People wondering around with legs and arms cut off
Public hangings in town squares
Religious police hitting people with sticks for not covering up properly
Religious extremeism

Please enlighten me if these are all false

Hanging is not true.... maybe the heads, perhaps?

Asking about Saudi? who does not know Saudia in the entire world? the worst place to be ---only and only for the money--saudi can not live in here them self,they can not understand each other,how we could understand them?
most peopl thinks that all arab the same,it is not>

Received this in the mail today from an Asian expat, known to me personally, who came to live and work in Dubai about 6 months ago:-

"Hi fazli how are you? wht keeps you busy? im just want to inform you, im not working for almost 1 month, but still here in dubai, my company is very stupid, i dont know what to do, my money is not enough, im knocking your heart to help me, then after that im plan to ministry of labour here in dubai to complaint! almost every night im crying too much! my company to forcing me to resign then after that they processing my cancellation but they told me to pay me them (2500dh) to process my departure and also pay for my own ticket, (sigh) how to pay this bullshit, my salary is only 1000,
pls. im begging you!
im knocking your heart!
thanks pls. pls. pls."

When will this modern form of slavery ever end?

musicman wrote:

Received this in the mail today from an Asian expat, known to me personally, who came to live and work in Dubai about 6 months ago:-

"Hi fazli how are you? wht keeps you busy? im just want to inform you, im not working for almost 1 month, but still here in dubai, my company is very stupid, i dont know what to do, my money is not enough, im knocking your heart to help me, then after that im plan to ministry of labour here in dubai to complaint! almost every night im crying too much! my company to forcing me to resign then after that they processing my cancellation but they told me to pay me them (2500dh) to process my departure and also pay for my own ticket, (sigh) how to pay this bullshit, my salary is only 1000,
pls. im begging you!
im knocking your heart!
thanks pls. pls. pls."

When will this modern form of slavery ever end?

Oh. No. so sad :( and Stupidity in it's best form. :sosad: pls let me know if we can do anything about this,glad to help out here...............

Bombardiers Riyadh Monorail Project
http://www.monorails.org/webpix%202/Riyadh.jpg

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/News. … dier-49575

Musicman long time no see! Whats up?
so when and where are these morails to be constructed?

keith_sanders097 wrote:

[email protected]

“A Letter not opened yet by an Expartiate”

This was a great read! Thanks for sharing!

I have documented my experience in my diary..So have a peek into my diary..

A Peek Into My Diary

Good stuff BB. Keep up the good work!

kill me. i hate this place.

ayah > time to move ?

if u dont like it dont eat it

RT Capetown- KSA is not like Cairo, much more like Dubai, but something very different nevertheless :)

I've been to Egypt many times and I find it one of the most annoying places in the ME in regards to how the men harass women..Especially blonde westerners.
Don't worry that is not going to happen in KSA, the only thing you will notice is the stares.
People will stare because you look different.
Pakistani and Indian men will mostly stare at you shamelessly(even if you're covered) but Saudi men in general will be extremely polite and do not display this type of behavior.

If you'd like to learn more about life in Saudi visit my blog http://blueabaya.blogspot.com/:)

Ayah-why are you here if you hate it so much??

I never understood why people stay here for years and moan and complain all the time how horrible it is! Why don't you just leave!?

@ayah... be a bit open for change... its a bit difficult here, but hang on... who knows u might start loving this place

to the wise [moderated] - very funny; i'm married to someone who works here. i'm not gonna ruin my marriage and just leave. so thanks, easier said than done.

to the others - thank you for the advice. i've been here for about 2 years so i really hope things do start looking up. i've also lived here for 15 years before moving away. i got married and had to move back here almost 2 years ago bc my husband works here. not all of us are lucky enough to live in a healthy environment.

:unsure:unsure:unsure:unsure:unsure

Life is what you make of it :):):)

Hello back every one. I'm sure I was missed :P

and Ayah, Welcome to Expat.com, furthermore welcome to my thread.

I would really appreciate it if you could shed a light on your situation and why you think its as bad as you think it is?

this can serve two reasons: a, you enlighten "the others" lol
b: you also give a heads up to those thinking of coming here.

who knows, you might help someone save themselves from alot of misery, no?

I look forward to hear from you.

and a welcome to Laylah :) gotta check that blog of yours.

Salman

theres no such thing as a free lunch ...

musicman wrote:

theres no such thing as a free lunch ...

hehehehehe

Laylah wrote:

Life is what you make of it :):):)

And make the most of it..

This place has its own set of rules regulations, problems, and a life of its own. There are things which I dont like, and soemthings which I do. the cheap petrol is oooh sooo on the top of my list!! :D
Like any other country int he world, local traditions demand a certain way of life which no matter what you think or want, you cannot and will not be able to bend around. But whining about it is not going to help in anyway. Make the best of it or else if you cant... Quit.

Cheers!

well guys,

its true that people should accept an become part of this culture if they want to enjoy the stay here.

but lets be a little considerate to those who cannot adjust. I mean I'm sure I wouldn't be comfortable if you moved me to a place where I cannot do what I want to.

and sometimes people don't get to choose.

so instead of pointing at the gate and telling people to leave (im not pointing fingers :P) we can make people more comfortable, console them and make them feel a little better about where they are.

or at least don't add insult to injury.

Salman

every thing that happens in this world has a context associated with it and may not be a wise idea to generalize and trying to make it a yard stick for the future. :)

RedGoblin wrote:

This place has its own set of rules regulations, problems, and a life of its own. There are things which I dont like, and soemthings which I do. the cheap petrol is oooh sooo on the top of my list!! :D
Like any other country int he world, local traditions demand a certain way of life which no matter what you think or want, you cannot and will not be able to bend around. But whining about it is not going to help in anyway. Make the best of it or else if you cant... Quit.

Cheers!

Every place on earth must offer the same situation. People will always have something to gripe about, no different than the Hispanics in Arizona.

Hi Salman and thanks!

I agree with you all, there is no perfect place in the world (although Finland was chosen as the best country to live in by Newsweek last year :D )all countries have their faults!

Saudi has it's good and bad sides. But what I meant is by trying to make use of the positive things here as much as possible life will become at least more tolerable.
Dwelling in misery is just going to make the situation worse!

What if you were for whatever reason stuck in say Antarctica?:lol:
How would you make your life there tolerable?
I guess you could stay inside your igloo and moan about it all day or go out and explore your surroundings, get to know some eskimos or go whale watching :)

...make friends with a few Penguins

Most of us (expats)are here because someone threw a lot of money in our faces. Period. The salary is very good, on average.  I'm building my dream home in Thailand, as I type,  with this job.  I will work here another year or so, and once I've attained my material goals, I'll leave and remember it as a
great place to save money.  My mom taught me that if I didn't have anything good to say about someone/something, I should keep my mouth shut, so I'll just cut this post off here, as a  comment about saving money is the only positive aspect that comes to mind.

awesome life in ksa only because  am here lolz

hmmm, my opinion of KSA.  Well where do I begin.  The way they treat the south asian and indian expats is a disgrace.  Secondly they can not drive if there life depended on it.  I drive the abu hydriah everyday and nearly everyday I see a seirous accident.  Edcucation system, well if I read correctly, a full school year for KSA nationals is less than a 100 days a year.  For being one of the richest countries in the world, it is very sad to see such a poor education system.  I believe education is the greatest gift a country can give its population but they dont do it here and if they do its selectively.  I have many Saudi friends and they have no perception of what the outside world is.  I am not saying the outside world is better but the option to choose is siginifigant.  I have been in KSA for four years and the work is stable.

As for living in Saudi, well it is better if I say nothing at all then to offend people.  I am glad I came and will stay till something better comes along because I never took anyone elses opinoion and like to make up my own mind.  I primarliy live and work in the eastern province so my knowledge of other areas of KSA is limited.  If you are thinking of coming to KSA, come but leave family at home till your sure its the right place for you.

I love being here but sometime i find people so mean because they know they r expats here and wont be staying long.

The treatment of domestic and other menial workers from the third world nations is truly appalling, without a doubt. It is surely a modern day slavery. The hassling paperwork to get things done also drives one over the hill. But thats the way the wind blows here. We gotta take it or leave!

Aramco Brats: Their view of KSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrhRjc7S … ture=share