What is your idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

good for you Stretch.

too bad you can't enjoy it while you live it.
I'm just that kind of person, throw me on mars and I will be creating a new sport in no time, like run faster than the hurricane or something. :lol:

I hope you get enough money soon to go back to your loved ones.

Salman

I enjoy what I can, Salman...but this isn't my idea of Paradise on Earth.

I've lived in North and South America, Africa and Asia...there are better destinations for living and lifestyle...but the money is here now, so I am, too.

No place on planet earth is Paradise. The idea should be to make the best wherever you may choose to live and work and thrive.

Asalam Alaykum, I do not mind living in Saudi. I never cared about moving here but that is because I am Muslim I think. I doubt I would want to live here if I was not. I am with my family as well and I am happy where they are.

I am from the south and I do miss home though. But thats normal right?

musicman wrote:

No place on planet earth is Paradise. The idea should be to make the best wherever you may choose to live and work and thrive.

But that wasn't the question in the OP.  You are talking about something within yourself.  The OP was What is Your Idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

And I disagree, there are places on the planet Earth that are Paradise.  Each person's paradise is his own...and I have lived in some paradisaical places before coming here.  Makes here that much tougher to accept.

UmmTalal wrote:

I'd say so.  I live in Southern Thailand...a big change from here and I miss home, as well.

UmmTalal wrote:

Asalam Alaykum, I do not mind living in Saudi. I never cared about moving here but that is because I am Muslim I think. I doubt I would want to live here if I was not. I am with my family as well and I am happy where they are.

yes that is normal and i m glad u r happy...i feel really good when expats r happy here and not whining about live in saudi.one should learn to live happy in her/his means

You know, I think MisterStretch has something, though, that was definitely worth mentioning.  I think where one comes from, one's history, has a lot to do with how well he or she adjusts here; ie. if you're happy or not.

As for me, I'm reasonably content because, as I've said in past posts, I view all this as a kind of 'learning experience.'  As for my history, trust me, I've been in worse situations and gotten though them--as a friend pointed out to me, I seem to have a high tolerance for being miserable lol  on a 'misery scale,' however, things here don't even come close to being at the bottom (for me), hence I am reasonably happy :)

Of course, knowing I have a CHOICE also adds to my feeling of happiness.  I have a one year contract after which time, I can be out of here!  I'm not sure what I'll do--I'll decide how I feel at that time (this summer).

Now I realize everything I've said is personal and relates to me, but if what we say resonates with people considering coming here, they can judge for themselves whether or not this is a place they would be able to live contently (at least for a while).

Comments, as always, are very welcome :)

Although we came here initially, in 1979, on a two year contract with all our budgets, plans and dreams to buomd a nest egg for ourselves back home we have ended up staying for 30. All in all life has been good and we have not tried to seek more than what the people, places and situations in the region offer. That, I believe, has been the key to the success and happiness that we have enjoyed so far. In the case of the girls they were 3 months and 5 years then and this place has become more home for them than home, naturally. I can continue to stay here till the final call comes if they will let me.

Bravo!

now this is a healthy discussion :D

what I mean is, with everyone coming out clean with their thoughts and reasons, it creats a clearer image for those who are interested to move out here. they can at least learn that this isen't realy eden, unless they want it to be, nor it is realy hell, unless they think it to be.

"Just a Sahara Land with considerably unique people livin in it"

caryy on, I'm loving the read. :top:

Salman

@Malyhere

mobily problem? call 1100 (or 056-010-1100), choose your Language (1 for Arabic, 2 for English) & Press 2 (for mobily broadband support)

the help desk guys are quite helpful. helped me alot :D

Try this website

http://americanbedu.com

Also check this one out for some interesting views about life in KSA by expats:-

http://www.expatinterviews.com/saudi-ar … eming.html

account deleted ;) do not hesitate to use the "report button" if it happens again. thanks !

Hmmm...will that work on any account we click "report" on?  :lol:

Hello everyone! Ok, so I'm back in Saudi after being gone for 5 years, BUT it feels like I've never lived here before in my life. It's the strangest feeling ever! I usually feel lonely (yet not alone) and bored because I feel like there's nothing to do in Riyadh! However, I do believe because I have so much conflict within myself here in Riyadh, and with Riyadh as a whole, it could make for a great book to be written! It's like, I mostly passionately hate this place now, and whether it's good or bad passion, passion within itself is a positive feeling to have. Ok now you might think I'm blabbering.

HOWEVER, we could leave Saudi Arabia and move to the Emirates or Lebanon or somewhere in the Middle East (my husband is not thinking of the States just yet), but our lifestyles will drastically change. My hubby works at a medical equipment distributor, working with medical suppliers such as Karl Storz, Carl Zeiss, etc. His market is in the Kingdom, so he doesn't travel often. However, if he moves to another country, his market will cover  a much larger region, such as the Middle East/North Africa, or the countries east of here (Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, etc). Something along those lines. He'll be traveling more than he'll be living with me, and I can't live that way! I could travel with him if I don't get a job, but then what if I want to work or have kids? So, Saudi Arabia does offer financial and other sorts of stability. You just have to compromise wherever you go; I don't believe that you can always have it all.

Another thing - we bought our kitten from a family living in Jadawel Compound. The husband is American, from Oklahoma, and the wife is Philippino. Granted they seldom leave the compound, they absolutely love it here! The husband was telling us about how his parents come and visit all the way from OK, and consider this a vacation spot. They spoil themselves here, having someone drive them around everywhere, and just relaxing in the lazy sun all day. Things like that. The wife's parents feel the same way about Riyadh.

When I was in college in Philly, my friends envied me for having grown up in Saudi. Though some of them thought we had tents and camels here, most would think that everyone who lived here lived in a palace, with servants and housemaids and drivers, and no need to work. My best friend from Philly just told me yesterday that I must be living the life here. So, I do feel that we (I) take for granted the easy life here (it's definitely more laid back than any country I've ever been to), as everyone would love to have things come easily to them. I still haven't gotten used to it again, though. I miss the fast, difficult, exhausting life. So I don't know. While living in the States, I always missed the easy life here :)

Other things, though - there are no bookstores or movie theaters here, and those are my two absolute favorite things. Men/boys stare a lot. They try to hit on you a lot. They really piss me off. Shopping here is very limited, and American products are so marked up here it's ridiculous. But all that is fine. Finding a job can be hard for a woman, and hanging out in mixed groups in public is quite risky.

Okay, I'll stop now :)

Sorry if I confused anyone - My parents moved here when I was 2, and I grew up here till I was 17. I lived in the States for 5 years then moved back here May 2009 and got married at the end of November :D

Have a nice day!

Well..

welcome back!

(now stop babbling! lol)

BTW.. I'm from NJ.

Soprano territory.

Badda BING!

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm heading home tomorrow for a couple weeks..I'll bring you back a Philly cheesesteak :P

Well I am a Bronx girl here...and I will give all of you my impression of Jeddah when I arrive end of this week :)

I have lived in other countries for the past 13 years...so I hope that my fly-by-the seat attitude and life perspective will serve me well in KSA and help me to smoothly acclimate to the new surroundings.

Someone told me Jeddah is also like NYC???

ONLY thing I am not looking forward to...still waiting to be reunited with my toddler and husband over the next few weeks...

Jeddah is also like NYC!!!!!!

ouaaaah

Jeddah is NOT like NYC
Jeddah is an Old Granny

ok...so I take it...I was incorrectly informed!:|

I like the expression Old Granny :/ will have to see how that is...

I think I should clarify the context -- what the person told me was, just as NYC is a melting pot for all nationalities, so is Jeddah...means that the person who chooses to live in Jeddah, shouldn't have prejudices working and living with a multicutural communiity...is that a better explanation?

Well how is Riyad in comparison to Jeddah?

just kidding nina

Riyadh is almost the same except that its not as free as Jed
the multiculturism is absolutely apparent if u go down to Batha on a Thursdaty evening....
i havent been there in about 20 years i think
seeing is believing

Alliecat -

"BTW.. I'm from NJ.

Soprano territory.

Badda BING!"

Haha BADDA BOOM!

Enjoy the States.. and yes Philadelphia does have some yummy cheesesteaks. Love them.

I forgot to mention that a really good thing about working here is that you get to save enough money to travel a few times a year. You wouldn't have that privilege elsewhere in the world unless you were very well off, and/or have been working for years and years. I apply this to my situation since I have mentioned that we move to Abu Dhabi. And if we do move, we won't be financially able to travel often.

Welcome to the new or rather renewed joiners of the .. how should I put it? lol .. the land of sand and crazy drivers? :lol:

not kidding but take it with humor ;)

thanks for sharing aya & nina.

Salman

Hi there,

We move to Riyadh next Wednesday! I just wanted to thank you for your thoughts, they're giving me a much clearer idea of what to expect in the area.

Bexyboo

well, welcome to KSA then Bexy ;)

A Place .. is not like any place on earth
looooool

is that good or bad
i dunno :P

welcome

Welcome to the forum Bexy!  We hope your stay in KSA will be a good one.  Be sure to join us for some great conversations!

omg.. Salman! It looks like you pluck your eyebrows !!  (you should pluck your beard instead lol)

no I didnt and no I wont. lol :P

well .. ummmmm.. are you wearing eye shadow??

:lol:

Alliecat wrote:

omg.. Salman! It looks like you pluck your eyebrows !!  (you should pluck your beard instead lol)

PuddyTat,

PLUCK is an understatement. I think he should go to SACO and buy himself a pair of garden shears and shape his chinto look like one of those nicely trimmed bushes on some of our highways in Riyadh. Maybe we can start a hat collection?

ahm ahm....

Dear Salman,

I hope you could guide me, i have got an oportunity to work in Saudi for 3000SR, could you let me know, is the salary enough to save any amount.

I have done my B.Pharmacy and MBA from Uk, have you got any freinds who are with science or business back ground.

will be glad to hear form you

Regards
Pratap.M
[email protected]

pratap wrote:

Dear Salman,

I hope you could guide me, i have got an oportunity to work in Saudi for 3000SR, could you let me know, is the salary enough to save any amount.

I have done my B.Pharmacy and MBA from Uk, have you got any freinds who are with science or business back ground.

will be glad to hear form you

Regards
Pratap.M

Hi Pratap,

though you should have posted this question in a more appropriate thread with a related topic, but I'll give ya a break just this once. :D

3K salary is barely enough to get by these days let alone save. if your an MBA your worth more than that. thats all I can say.

Salman

im new in saudi

Habibi - 50+ women in your contact list and one guy!  HMMMM  not sure you want/need to be on this forum!   :mad:

Alliecat wrote:

Well..

welcome back!

(now stop babbling! lol)

BTW.. I'm from NJ.

Soprano territory.

Badda BING!

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm heading home tomorrow for a couple weeks..I'll bring you back a Philly cheesesteak :P

I hope next party will not be limited with the girls.. I made  my resarvations for cheese steak :))))

I made  my resarvations for cheese steak

Wow, aticus, did YOU miss the boat!!

Philly cheesesteaks were two months ago lol

You'll have to settle for a camel burger now! :lol:

I was thinking the same thing - you've been back for a while!:P

He can have that Camel Burger with a side 'virgin' Camel milk!  I hear it's good for the heart!  OR something like that!  :lol::lol::lol: