Do men also leave their country for a woman?

Being an expat for a while now I realise that I only know women who have left their home country for their man. There are two types:

1. Those who fell in love with a "foreigner" and decided to emigrate to his home country.

2. Those who followed their man because he was offered a job abroad.

But are there men out there who did the same? Don't be shy, share your (love) story!

Go on then.

I was about to get married; I said to her, "Would you like to live in England?".
All I got back was, "Too cold" so I moved to Indonesia.

She was right.

Oh, bless you!

And as you probably know by now: women are always right :lol:

globetrotter wrote:

Oh, bless you!

And as you probably know by now: women are always right :lol:

Only because we let you think you are.
I, obviously, disagree.

I know I need a new video camera and a large LCD monitor for this computer.
My wife wrongly thinks I don't.

Believe me, I know boys need their toys.

And women need their victories, even if we know men just pretend to let us win.

Ner, I seriously need the monitor.
I make a lot of graphics for various talks and so on and that means I need to have a reasonable screen.

The camera is more for fun but how else can I post semi decent videos of demi buggered bridges on my thread?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

Woh, you're definitely not in the UK anymore!

Hope you love the country as much as the woman by now...

globetrotter wrote:

Hope you love the country as much as the woman by now...

I,being a married chap,have no idea about any women here except my wife.
I've never noticed any ladies with cute bums, totally failed to notice any who may be pretty and have never seen a really lovely smile from a really sexy 24 year old lass that I never see when I drive through her village every morning.

Honest. :D

As for Indonesia - I love the place.
This was an exceptionally great move to make.
My wife is amazing and we have a lovely 4 year old daughter but there is a downside.
The food is supercalifradulisticexpialidocous so I'm getting fat.

Hey, I didn't write "the women" but "the woman" (of your life).

But it's nice to see you love every aspect of the country.

We're moving from Paris to Bangkok, Thailand in a couple of months. It's only a short mission though: September until mid-March 2013. We'll also get a little taste of Asia. I hope our 2,5 year old son can adapt. After that we're probably going to London for a few years. So I'll end up in your home country!

globetrotter wrote:

Hey, I didn't write "the women" but "the woman" (of your life).

I know but I had to have my slightly naughtiness.

globetrotter wrote:

But it's nice to see you love every aspect of the country.

Not every aspect but there is little I don't like and much I do.

globetrotter wrote:

We're moving from Paris to Bangkok, Thailand

I've been to Bangkok but not for long enough to get a real feel for the place.
I can tell you, you'll need to be open minded about the odd ways things are done over there.
I tend to see a lot of expats who do nothing but moan. The same ones hang around the places other foreigners tend to be and tell the world how much better their home country is.
Really bad move. They'll never know the joys of living in another country.
They're a lot like the tourists who see a temple, go to naughty bars but go home and claim to know Thailand.

On the subject of temples. Go to a few in the city.
Amazing places. Sit down, relax and soak in the atmosphere.
Meditate if you know how.
Bangkok is a dirty, noisy and crowded city but the temples are like an 'off' switch for all of that.
I went to one on the outskirts of Chinatown. Quite amazing place.
The monks invited me in to see their private prayers and the nuns invited me into the little school they had.
Lovely people.

mas fred wrote:

I know but I had to have my slightly naughtiness.

Typical male cliché: always having their minds in the gutter ;)

We've been in Bangkok about 10 years ago as part of a guided tour through the country and we loved it. I really enjoyed India too, but I think I prefer Thailand - to live anyway.
I honestly never moan. I'm so happy I married an adventurous man who gives me the opportunity to travel around the globe. If I have learned one thing since being an expat it's this: no place is perfect, you have to try and make the best of it. Whining doesn't help. The only thing that matters to me is my family's health and safety.

globetrotter wrote:

Typical male cliché: always having their minds in the gutter ;)

What can I say? I'm a man.

globetrotter wrote:

We've been in Bangkok about 10 years ago as part of a guided tour through the country and we loved it. I really enjoyed India too, but I think I prefer Thailand - to live anyway.

Guided tours give you a snapshot but you'll have great fun finding out what makes a new country tick.
That's one of the reasons I love living here. Always something new.

globetrotter wrote:

I honestly never moan. I'm so happy I married an adventurous man who gives me the opportunity to travel around the globe. If I have learned one thing since being an expat it's this: no place is perfect, you have to try and make the best of it. Whining doesn't help.

Sounds like you have the right attitude to enjoy a country like Thailand.
I started my trip in Phuket. That is a serious dump. The place in clean in a "rubbish in the streets" sort of way but is just a place to get smashed out of your head and do naughty things with naughty people sort of venue.
I'm way too boring to do that so I went to Bangkok for a few days.
That time wasn't even close to enough to get much more than a rough idea of the city but I'll bet it's an interesting place.
A little later, I wandered into the deep south of Thailand from Malaysia.
WOW.
We found a little Buddhist retreat in the mountains. Amazing place.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/fredyboys/mountainplace.jpg

Most important.
Learn how to say hello, goodbye and thank you in Thai.
(You have a head start as two are the same)

I didn't know I was talking to a man in a devilish disguise!

Yes, I remember I hated the 3 days in Pattaya at the end of the tour. We took one stroll in those streets (I even convinced the men to join me in "boys street"). Then we decided to stay in our hotel as much as possible. And even there the elevators were full of enormous old guys and little doll-like local girls. I gave the men my best "shame on you"-look. Poor girls, they have a family to feed, I guess.

My best experience was a one-day backback hike to a remote village, near Chiang Mai I think, where the unmarried girls wore a white dress. We crosses a rapid river, icy water up to my belly. We all slept on the floor in a room on stilts. But first I had to chase a big spider down the stilt (my husband has a slight phobia). In the middle of the night my husband joined me in the pitch dark with a torch to go to the bathroom (whole in the ground with bucket of water) and we found a woman of the group wandering halfway in the jungle, terribly lost. 

And about learning the basic Thai words. I vaguely remember there was a difference with men and women (-krab, and -ka?). People are always over the moon when a foreigner tries to speak their language, however poorly. It's the polite thing to do.

I have a lot of clients that are men that have moved to be with their loved ones overseas. I just think that more women are willing to do it.

globetrotter wrote:

I didn't know I was talking to a man in a devilish disguise!

I'm the devil in disguise. My human form slipped at the time of the photo.
I find walking the earth in my true form tends to lead to local panic, news stories regarding the end of the world and large scale religious services but has an upside in the form of fantastic rock tunes.

globetrotter wrote:

Yes, I remember I hated the 3 days in Pattaya at the end of the tour. We took one stroll in those streets (I even convinced the men to join me in "boys street"). Then we decided to stay in our hotel as much as possible. And even there the elevators were full of enormous old guys and little doll-like local girls. I gave the men my best "shame on you"-look. Poor girls, they have a family to feed, I guess.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the girls are there because they have little choice in a financial way.
The guys are there because they're sad losers.
I saw loads of it in the short time I was there and that was just after the tsunami so tourist numbers were very low.
I recall walking past bars were droves of girls would shout at me to join them for a drink. No way.
The perception of the European is rather warped out there.
The girls in the hotel(Staff)plucked up the courage to ask me why I never returned to the hotel smashed out of my head and why I never took a woman back.
They assume all white guys behave like dogs on heat because that's all they ever see.
Sad we have such a bad rep.

globetrotter wrote:

My best experience was a one-day backback hike to a remote village,

The far south is wonderful. A Chinese Malaysian lass I met in the UK 'adopted' me as her dad so she insisted I meet her family in North Malaysia the first time I wandered over there.
They took me on a trip to south Thailand. That's where the monks were.
Way better than seeing bars full of pros.

globetrotter wrote:

And about learning the basic Thai words. I vaguely remember there was a difference with men and women (-krab, and -ka?). People are always over the moon when a foreigner tries to speak their language, however poorly. It's the polite thing to do.

Kar for the girls and kup for the boys (or is it the other way round?)
Been a while so check.
The learning the language thing is a biggy.
I'm still pretty crap at Indonesian but getting better. I can do all the simple stuff and hold a reasonable conversation now but I need lessons in the finer points and more vocab.
I speak a little (very little) Javanese as well. That goes down a storm when you speak to people who have that as their native tongue.

expatriatetaxreturns wrote:

I have a lot of clients that are men that have moved to be with their loved ones overseas. I just think that more women are willing to do it.

A lot more women, it seems! So far only one man came forward. I wonder if mas fred is the only one on this forum ... or are the others just to shy?

My Peruvian husband (from Lima) moved here to Houston to be with me because my job makes more money.  We plan to move together to Perú in 15-20 years.  Because we are going through this immigrate-to-the-USA experience, we know several couples.  While it is true that men usually import their brides, I would guesstimate that 10-20% are the other way around.

My husband met me in Scotland. went back to Pakistan to get paperwork sorted out after the ppl hear screwed up. And wants to come here when he gets his visa through. :heart:

That's very romantic, ladies. Hold on to them, they sound like real keepers to me!

globetrotter
if my hubby asked me to move to pakistan to be with him.. you would not see me for dust :D

haggishunter wrote:

globetrotter
if my hubby asked me to move to pakistan to be with him.. you would not see me for dust :D

Fairy nuff but don't forget to pack a camera.
I want pictures.

If it was the right woman I would have no problem leaving my country.

I left my own country to live in Belize. For love I would leave Belize in a heart beat. I am not attached to any country. .

Before I would also go to any country for my husband, but since we have a little boy that has changed for me. Now the health and safety of my child come first.

I don't know if any of you have children, but for an expat that really changes everything...

Yes of cz but only europeans do best for their wives & treat equally.. most of the srilankans (Asians)r really traditional & they like to live with their parents sisters n brothers than living with a wife..

Annoshka
My husband is nearly finished building our house,250 miles from his family, near where he has land /farm. if i move over there.He wants to come back to the uk tho.

Globetrotter
I have a daughter aged 20 going on 5. :rolleyes:
She has given me her blessing if i was to move over. She has her own life, and told me to go where i will be happy with my husband. whether it is in pakistan or the uk.

Fred
I will take camera next time i go over. promise :D

haggishunter wrote:

Fred
I will take camera next time i go over. promise :D

Excellent.

Haggishunter

Our boy is 2,5. A bit early to let go :D
But since your daughter is an adult and ok with the move, I imagine you can leave with an easy mind.
That is to say, until your first grandchild is born :P. When I see my parents fussing over our son ...

globetrotter id still worry myself silly if she was 45 and i moved :/     
its a mum thing :D

haggishunter wrote:

globetrotter id still worry myself silly if she was 45 and i moved :/     
its a mum thing :D

Tell me about it.
My mum has just landed here and so far has nagged about:
My weight
My sun tan
What I'm eating
How mosquitoes will kill us all

and some other things but I remembered how to switch my ears off so I don't know what they were.

Haggishunter and mas fred,

worrying and nagging: sounds like a mom's job description to me. How I would miss it when she's gone.

Harira,

Don't leave us with just a sigh. The government is blocking his application, I guess?

globtrotter
Its in the mum decree we get when our kids are born :thanks:
I still not heard about my hubby visa and we should have heard in march :nothappy:

Haggishunter,

March? That's a long wait. Hopefully you get some news soon.

Harira,

That sounds like a good plan. It's always better to be financially independant when applying for a Visa. Countries want you to bring money in instead of having one more mouth to feed.

sometimes you move  because of a job and stay there because you meet somebody

im leaving uk and going Africa to be with hubby , with my toddler.. everyone thinks im crazy , i know he wouldnt do it for me , go and live in asian somnweher

doubt it

if you love someone truly, do not hesitate to ask them hard

yes ,they do . but i suppose it depends on individual needs

My boyfriend/partner is about to move from the beautiful British Columbia to Bulgaria with me..and has no idea what is he getting into haha :)

After 18 months of fighting my husband finally got his visa and moved here to uk......:D

It's not a matter of fact whether he (a man) loves you and must move with you where ever you decide to go. There are other elements that should ne taken into consideration.How much does he earns in his present job, is there any possibility that if he follows you he will find a better job where you are taking him to.What is the standard of living where you are(the woman).Loves should not be conditioned as HaileyinHongKong says,you can't do something as aspect the same thing in returns.It doesn't always work that way.Anyway it will be a great pleasure for a man to live his present location and follow the one he loves.It happens every day,month and years.Many men around the world follow thier women.

Hailey my husband was in pakistan, i'm here in the uk. I had to fight for his visa from here.It took 17 months of fighting for it.

Meet expats all over the world

OR