Elective Residence Visa

Hi all,
My name is Yuki, a Malaysian seeking advises for possible visa that I can apply in order for me to stay in Italy.
Basically, a Malaysian Passport holder can stay in Italy up to 90 days as tourist without visa. However, I would like to stay longer.
I'm a journalist by profession, and I might get myself some freelance jobs while in Italy. Hence, I'm not planning to seek for employment there. As for accommodation, my boyfriend is an Italian, so obviously, I will be staying with him (see, this is the whole idea for me to move to Italy).
I came across this "Elective Residence visa", but couldnt get more information about who is eligible for this type of visa and how easy/difficult to obtain it. It is stated that the visa is meant for non-EU residents seeking for long-term stay in Italy without planning to seek for employment. Based on this, I guess I fit in. Another requirement will be, I have to prove that I'm financially independent - that I can support myself throughout my stay. I dont have any property, but yeah, I think my cash is sufficient. I also have other saving plans.
I tried to contact the Italian Embassy in my home country, but they are not really helpful - I even asked my bf to send them email in Italian, but no reply. (FYI, I called few times, and even went to the embassy, but the staffs there are really helpless.)
Therefore, I would really appreciate it if any of you guys, especially Malaysian, who can provide me some advice on this matter.

Thank you very much,
Yuki.Ling

Hello Yuki.

I understand that you are currently living in Italy now.
How did it all went for you? Did you get the visa allowing you to stay more than 90 days?
I will be going there sometime in April 2015. Thinking of applying residence permit..to stay longer..or maybe work there for a bit enough to sustain my living there. I hope you can share the process that u've been thru in getting urself there, living in Italy :)

Thanks.
Azri

Hi Azri,

Note that this thread was posted  since 2012, and might no more be active on the forum.

Feel free to create a new topic on the the Italy forum, this might surely be of great help.

Regards,

David.

Hey David.

Thanks...will surely do create a new topic..i just thought of posting a target one to that particular individual :)
But, you're right..the thread is an old one.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Azri