International Schools in Lusaka

Can anyone offer advice on the International Schools? My children are 13 and 16 and currently in the British Education system.

What experiences have people had with the American International School of Lusaka, the Baobab College and the International School of Lusaka? Are there any other schools I should consider?

I look forward to hearing your views,

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to Expat.com jerrir!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon.

Regards
Armand

Hi you have hit the nail on it's head. Those r some if the best schools in Lusaka. Also try lake road school. These schools are of international schools standard! You will not regret

I speak from experience as a former student in Zambia who schooled in one of the schools labled as the "good schools" in Zambia. In no particular order, this pool of good schools include:

AIS (American Int school)
Baobab
Chengelo
Rhodes Park
LICS (Lusaka International Community School)
ISL (International School of Lusaka)
Lake Road
Banani
Simba
Mpelembe
Lechwe 
Musukili
Nkwazi

I recently did my IGCSE's in zambia (British school system) at a boarding school called Chengelo- (chengelo.sch.zm) about 3 and half hours drive from Lusaka. Christian school but not forced on students. I would recommend this school if boarding school is an option as the school excels not only in accademics, but sport and outdoor education such as the Duke of Edinburgh  Award. It is known for good grades and "good" character development in students. I may be bias so I wont say anymore about Chengelo but rather advise you to visit some of these schools I have mentioned. Although I think, the best "British like"  schools are out of Lusaka. Chengelo being one and the other being Simba in Ndola.

American International School is more American in terms of syllabus but I guess your children can still do A levels after wards as opposed to IB in order to get back in to the UK system. But very good, I think in terms of American education in the country- AIS has to be at the top. I have some smart friends who went there. Also competitive in sport as I remember we used to compete with them a lot. Not so big in terms of space for expansion (eg. grounds or classrooms). They are also very selective, first priority goes to diplomat's children and expatriates before places are offered to natives.

Baobab, is also good, but as long as your children are principled and dont easily get swayed by peer pressure because Baobab is labeled amongst the students as the snobbish school where children go to show off their video games, what cars their parents drive etc. I know this because my young brother actually went there. And it is the most expensive school in the country at the moment.

Other schools to consider would be LICS (Lusaka International Community School), and ISL (International School of Lusaka), but ISL this one is also more American than British and has a history of drug and alcohol problems. Though I dont think it still happens today. Advantage is that they are right in the heart of Lusaka.

Another school, not far away from Lusaka-a boarding school but all girls- would be Banani. Good school and also British syllabus, Bahai faith based but this is not forced on students. Advantage, could be a weekly boarder.   

Mpelembe is reputable for very very good grades. But its a mixture of the Zambian experience as well as the British. i.e. they follow the Zambian syllabus as well as the British one. Last time I checked, students had a choice which examining board they wanted to sit for. But only the cream de la cream are known to get into Mpelembe. Although people do question if this is still the case today.

Rhodes Park is in Lusaka but they are very young in terms of dealing with the British syllabus. Just like Lake Road though they are very highly recommended schools. But Rhodes Park only recently introduced IGCSE's, I think 3 years ago and I think teachers are still warming upto it. Or by now they may have gotten used to it.

ALL IN ALL, ALL THE ABOVE MENTIONED SCHOOLS MEET TOGETHER TO COMPETE IN SCIENCE FAIRS, SPORTS competitions and sometimes also sharing facilities. Such as Chengelo's outdoor centre (the only one in the country) has all the above schools use its facilities for team building, camping trips and the Duke of Edinburgh  Award scheme- (dofe.org). They are all good schools and they have their own disadvantages. At the end of the day, its what appeals to you.

All the best.

Does anyone know of an international standard primary school in Chipata?

wow!

Shipo! thank you so much for your great information shared!

We are considering a move to lovely Zambia and this is invaluable information.

i haven't ben to zambia for a very long time. but greetings to my teachers. bye sarah nyondo

i have studied in american school and international school and other.  American international school is the best of all. pupils from american school are more cultured and well behaved. the teachers regualte discipline.The american education is good it helped me in college. after studying from american school its difficult to adjust to any other school.its better to leave your kids in a safe crowd at the american school. at least their upbringing will go very well. thats my opinion. thank you for giving me a chance to blog.manish

Shipo, wow! Such helpful info. Thanks very much.

it all very much depends on what you can afford and which side of town you live on. but Baobab and the American School are the most common for expats. Baobab has pricing on their website if you want an idea (the American School is a little more expensive)

Hi,
my name is sarah nyondo a former international school student.the good news is i have been enrolled in bachelor of science at swinburne university.it looks like studying to that school has benefited me.thank you

Congratulations!