Realistic chance of finding a English speaking job

Hi Guys,

I'm a 26yr old Australian, I studied in Cologne for a semester in 2010 at the German sports Uni (in English) and loved it. Im looking to move back to Germany in the near future.

What I wanted to know is, how realistic is my chance of finding an English speaking job? I want to learn german but that's going to take time and ill need to be able to support myself while I learn. I know I can get a one yr work visa to start with so thats my time frame atm.

Ill be a fully qualified P.E and health teacher so ideally I would love to work in an international school, but I also know the chances of that are very slim.

Has anyone else had any luck with finding English speaking work?

Im visiting cologne soon to see friends so it might be a good time to speak to potential employers.

any advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
L

Hi Friends,
           Nice to join this community forum,I am Ravi from India, Worked as Senior Engineer at bangalore. I have been offered an admission to an MBA program at HHL Leipzig. I dont' have german language skill currently. What do you guys feel of the MBA education at germany,living there in Leipzig and part-time opportunities there.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

regards
ravi

Well the chances of finding a job without speaking german, I think, in my humble opinion, are only high IF you are a scientist. I know a bunch of engineers, programmers, scientists, etc, that dont speak german and get these jobs.

But I think in your area of studies, is a bit hard, considering that there are not so many, and I think that the requirements to get in are a bit hard.

Maybe get an easy job, doing whatever, and study german during this year.

Chances of getting a part time job are really good for students.
I got one myself almost for the whole time that I am doing my master studies. Money is not as much as a normal engineer working full time, but is enough for living for sure.

not so many international schools **

**I got my researching assistant job without speaking german**

Thanks Paola for your suggestions.

Cool that you got a job without speaking german.:) and my best wishes for you.

Looking forward to study in Germany soon.

Just one more thing,
How do you feel about the HHL Graduate Management school at Leipzig. Any idea of the education there and living in Leipzig..

Well I really dont have any idea of management schools here in Germany, even though I have a friend who went there because he did a double graduation master with the London School of Economics, so I guess for him was not so good, because this university in London, is one of the best worldwide for this area of studies.

But in that branch of studies I would highly suggest to learn german. Science is a bit different, we work only with numbers and codes, and that is worldwide the same.

Good luck,:)

Paola

p.s: My boyfriend is living in Vellore btw, I almost visit him there, but no chance with my thesis and work. :(

i had similar notions when i moved to Germany about half a year back. I thought it wud be tough to get a job without knowing German, but beleive me there are plethoras of oppurunities for people like us. MNCs in Germany are constantly seeking english speaking people. The mantra is apply as many jobs as possible. i work in a german automotive and they never fussed abt my german language skills.

LiamO wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm a 26yr old Australian, I studied in Cologne for a semester in 2010 at the German sports Uni (in English) and loved it. Im looking to move back to Germany in the near future.

What I wanted to know is, how realistic is my chance of finding an English speaking job? I want to learn german but that's going to take time and ill need to be able to support myself while I learn. I know I can get a one yr work visa to start with so thats my time frame atm.

Ill be a fully qualified P.E and health teacher so ideally I would love to work in an international school, but I also know the chances of that are very slim.

Has anyone else had any luck with finding English speaking work?

Im visiting cologne soon to see friends so it might be a good time to speak to potential employers.

any advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
L

same for me as for wanderwings, i work in automotive, and i never had any problem finding a job in germany without speaking german.

At work i mainly use english, and during the job interviews at different companies they even never asked me if i could speak german (which i can actually, fluently)

you can find a work here without speaking fluently, but then you have to try everyday to communicate and use the german language to learn it as fast as possible. but i think you already know that :)

Hey,

You may have looked already but thought id suggest researching St Georges International English School.. easy enough to find online and always have vacancies. And it is an engliah school so english speaking jobs.

Laura :)

My best guess would be working as a translator, at your country's embassy, teacher, writer... there are many alternatives.

Hi Paola
Im a student planning to study nd work in germany so just wnted to know abt living standard in gemany

@shalini19 -> To avoid being off topic here, I think you should start a new thread with your questions on living standard on the Cologne forum. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Can u tell me more, please. Like where do i have to apply for an job speaking only english, or english and french. I've just finished med school last year, but didn't work in a hospital because of the salary, so i worked for 8 months in a pharma company here in romania. My plan is to move to germany and start working something, not necessarily related to medicine, and in the mean while to learn german, so i could apply after for a job in a hospital. So, if u have more info...
Thanks a lot
And another thing, paola, reaserching in medicine or something related?

Hello Prokofiev and welcome to Expat.com!

This thread is old as well as paola's post.  :)
I suggest you to start a new thread on the Cologne forum with your questions.
This will allow better interaction.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello

this is Mona from Iran, has got my BA degree in state of Malaysia.currently working as a business manager in the stainless steel company. the company import from abroad. i also had passed my  accounting course. if anyone interested i can translate and send the document.
i was just wondering how much do i have a chance of getting job in Germany.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Mona

Hi prokofiev, you could apply for big international companies or US companies. There you will use English as main language.
There is Bayer in Leverkusen, maybe your profile would be ok for them, we know people from Italy or US who don't speak german and still work there.