West Indians in Melbourne

Hello fellow expats!

Any west indians out there? I am Haitian by way of America then the UK and now in Australia. While I love it here, I am seriously craving some Zouk, Calypso and just plain ole reggae. Don't get me started on the food. Rice and beans, accra...good Mexican. I'll settle for Brazilian which is very similar to the rest of west indian food.

Being a black west indian woman here, I am missing not just the Caribbean culture, but also the black american culture (yes there is one:-). If you're out there, give me a shout out! I would love to hear from you and where you go to get your fix.

Best,
J.

Welcome to Expat.com jsevinoz!;)

Harmonie.

Hello

I will be moving to Melbourne in the next 2 weeks. Have you came in contact with any caribbean peeps? p.s. I love me some zouk 2, but I doubt I would find that there

Yay! Another West Indian. 

I too love zouk (and konpa) and am up for the challenge of finding a place.

Do inbox me when you are settled in Melbourne.

Best,
Jenny

Hey there,
Just saw your message and got very excited.  I've been here for over two years and always wondered if there is anyone in Melbourne of West Indian heritage, then guessed they were hiding.  And still do.
Anyway, I am British born of Jamaican parents and like you miss my culture and others who can identify with me.  I get by being here but miss the food and how easy it was to buy it.
I am 43 years old with a 13 month old and a hubby in tow living in the northern burbs.  Please do drop me a line and we can take it from there.
Hope to hear from you.
Flying kitty.

Hey Jenny!

I sent you a message a few weeks ago, I'm finally settled in Melbourne( been here two months now, time goes fast). I have only seen 1 person from the Caribbean since I've been here. Which part of Melbourne are you located?

Greetings,
Zuwena

Hi Zuwena!

I am in Essendon but really spend all my time in the CBD/Fitzroy etc. time does fly! I can't believe I've been here a year and a half!

What part if town are you in! And where in the West Indies are you from?

I'm happy to catch up for a coffee (as that's the thing in Melbs) or a drink.

Good to hear from you!
Jenny

I'm in Heidelberg area, 25 with the metro to the city. I'm from Sint Maarten! A drink would be nice. You can contact me on [email protected] Just let me know when you are available

Hi All,

Sorry I have been out of the loop. If either of you ladies would like to still meet up, please inbox me.

Best,
Jenny

Hey Guys

Nice to see you all here. Im Jay from Barbados and I have been here 6 months. Unfortunately im in Queensland but anytime i am in the area. which may be around Nov Dec I wouldnt mind having a drink.

These posts are so old! I wonder if there's anyone around.