Visa requirements for buying and registering/licensing a vehicle

Can anyone tell me what the visa requirements for buying and registering/licensing a vehicle. I have been told and have read a few different things.

I am an American and have been in Alexandria for about 8 months on a 1 year tourist visa. I am here with my wife and a 2 and 4 year old. We have done pretty good getting around on the tram and occasional taxi but with the kids it's a pain to do things that require long tram rides or carrying groceries as the 2 year old is still in a umbrella stroller. Our goal is to get a residential work visa at some point but that will be some time at the end of the year and I want to buy the vehicle now.

I been told you have to:
1) any residential visa to register a car
2) you need 5 year residential visa
3) You can register a car on a tourist visa but it is only good until the visa runs out then you renew your visa and renew the registration/license

I hope it is number 3 but I would like to know before I buy the car and get stuck with a car I can't drive.

Any info would be appreciated :)

residence visa ..... any .... car license - and local driver's license - valid only until the end of the residence visa OR license validity whichever sooner

Also .... If you have a driver's license from a country with a license-exchange agreement you can translate your license at your embassy and get a local license without test or anything

very few categories are eligible for 5 year visa so I am sure it is not the right answer.

Eligible categories for 5-year visa are:

1- Foreign investors (local business owners) and their spouses and children.

2- Former Egyptian citizens who renounced/lost their citizenship as well as their minor dependents.

3- Children of Egyptian mother and a foreign father who have not acquired Egyptian citizenship

4- Children of a naturalized Egyptian citizen.

5- Children above 21 years old sponsored by their mothers who are having a 5-year residence (widows of Egyptian men)

6- Those over 60 years old who have stayed in Egypt for over 10 years and have their own means of earning a living

7- Foreigners who are authorized by bilateral/multilateral agreements to get a five year residence visa (e.g.: Yemenis, Sudanese ..etc.)

8- Wives and widows of Egyptian men

9- Wives and children of Foreigners eligible for a 5-year visa per above conditions.

Thanks for the info my friend.

I do have a International driving license just not a residential visa.

Yeah the 5 year visa is not possible for me since I don't have any Egyptian relatives or $50,000 to start a LLC. I have a job that will open up Dec/Jan and will get my work visa then but I guess we will be on the tram till then.

Was it different before Jan 25 when people would stay on tourist visas for several years and were able to get cars?

I guess I'll figure something out.

Bluboy wrote:

Thanks for the info my friend.

I do have a International driving license just not a residential visa.

Yeah the 5 year visa is not possible for me since I don't have any Egyptian relatives or $50,000 to start a LLC. I have a job that will open up Dec/Jan and will get my work visa then but I guess we will be on the tram till then.

Was it different before Jan 25 when people would stay on tourist visas for several years and were able to get cars?

I guess I'll figure something out.

Work visa is a residence visa, not 5 year but still eligible for a vehicle registration AND a driver's license

You can drive with an International Driver's license ONLY if you have a non-resident visa (and this is a rule that is applied everywhere not just Egypt) ...... Once you have a residence visa you need to drive with a local license.

It was never allowed for tourist visa holders to register vehicles ...... yes it was easy before to have multi-year tourist visa but not anymore ....... Touristic-residence holders used to register vehicles in a friend's name usually and drive with an IDL.

@OP

Yo, I add my voice as an Expat - to support excellent info you are being supplied by a Citizen (The sober-voice Egyptian).

Me?
1) I had a 3-year not-for-work Residence Visa (linked to my marriage with an Egyptian)

2) The Driving License (DL) Office required copy of passport (PP) - plus copy of residence visa page.

3) The Car Dealer required copy of PP (plus copy of residence visa page) and DL at booking time.

4) Finally, the Car Registration (aka Car License) Office required the same: copy of PP and DL

So, - onto solutions now ...

@The Egyptian: would ya know if our man could purchase a second-hand car - use the existing car License - and drive around with an IDL?

Later, after the residence visa stamp, he may register it - or get a new one.

Related Questions: Would that count as a car rental?

Is the previous owners car License valid for use by new owner?

Hummmm ...

(Some more straying since Bluboy mentioned it: You may start a LLC with $1,000 bank deposit)

Who wrote:

@OP
@The Egyptian: would ya know if our man could purchase a second-hand car - use the existing car License - and drive around with an IDL?

Later, after the residence visa stamp, he may register it - or get a new one.

Related Questions: Would that count as a car rental?

Is the previous owners car License valid for use by new owner?

Yes, Yes, No and Yes.

Yes you can drive around with an IDL if you have a non-resident visa ..... and a car registered to someone else PLUS EITHER an official (notarized) contract of sale OR a proxy

Yes he may register it with the aforementioned contract and/or proxy PLUS the residence visa.

No it is not a rental.

Yes it's valid ONLY IF accompanied by an official sale contract OR a proxy

The Egyptian wrote:

....and a car registered to someone else PLUS EITHER an official (notarized) contract of sale OR a proxy

Would he need a Residence Visa to get the Proxy? (Guess he would need it for an official (notarized) contract of sale, though?)

@Bluboy: This could be a temporary solution?

Cool, this is some good info.

OK, if I bought a used car that still had time left on the registration I could drive using my IDL and the contract of sale.

What is an Official contract of sale or proxy?
Is that something I would just go to the bank to get notarized?

(In the states we have a car title which is transferred over to the buyer and that is used to get your car tag.
On cars older than 20 yrs you would create a bill of sale which can be any printed or hand written document stating - party 1 paid party 2 $$$ for vehicle x and both parties sign it and that works.) 

Or I could ask one of my friends to register a new car in their name until I got my work visa.

Would they have to purchase the car also?
What kind of liability would they have by registering a car that I am driving?

You guys are awesome. Thanks for your input and patience with my ignorance. This ex-pat business is rough, learning a new culture, language, and governmental processes is brutal :) Trial and error gets old quick...

I only began to think about the whole residential visa thing when buying a car after getting turned down for a local bank account at Barclays because I only had a tourist visa.

Who wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

....and a car registered to someone else PLUS EITHER an official (notarized) contract of sale OR a proxy

Would he need a Residence Visa to get the Proxy? (Guess he would need it for an official (notarized) contract of sale, though?)

@Bluboy: This could be a temporary solution?

If you are the seller or the one giving power of attorney, you need a residence visa.

If you are the buyer or the one given power of attorney, you don't need residence visa

because easily, the one giving power of attorney or selling is the only one who needs to go to the notary office

Bluboy wrote:

Cool, this is some good info.

What is an Official contract of sale or proxy?
Is that something I would just go to the bank to get notarized?

An official contract filled at the notary office. Not a hand-written or printed contract you make. No, it's a contract prepared by the government, signed by the seller in the notary office and stamped by the government.

Bluboy wrote:

Or I could ask one of my friends to register a new car in their name until I got my work visa.

Yes you can

Bluboy wrote:

Would they have to purchase the car also?
What kind of liability would they have by registering a car that I am driving?

Yes of course. Purchase is a prerequisite to registration

The car owner is liable if you have an accident or incur traffic tickets, however this can be mitigated by you signing a statement that you received the car  on Day X at time Y and you are responsible for any civil and/or criminal liability during your time driving the car.

Please note that when you give it back he has to sign that he received it back from you on Day X at time Y as well.

Also note that sometimes traffic tickets are registered in the traffic computer systems months later, sometimes years ! so don't be surprised if he calls you couple of years later to tell you about a ticket or two you incurred.

Bluboy wrote:

I only began to think about the whole residential visa thing when buying a car after getting turned down for a local bank account at Barclays because I only had a tourist visa.

No residence, no bank account .... that's a very old rule :(

Bluboy wrote:

You guys are awesome. Thanks for your input and patience with my ignorance. This ex-pat business is rough, learning a new culture, language, and governmental processes is brutal :) Trial and error gets old quick...

Thank you. You are welcome ..

After the dust settles, please do pass the support forward - by bumping this thread with your unique findings.

Also, your last lines share new information. Please tell me if I misunderstand this as a sign to continue the chatter beyond your initial vehicle purchase query?

Cheers

Hi

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but here I go anyway;

I want to buy a new car in installements and I need to know what kind of paperwork is needed?

I'm working in an egyptian company and I have residential visa (married to egyptian)

I would appreciate specific answers so I can start preparing th epapers through my company.

TurkeyForever wrote:

Hi

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but here I go anyway;

I want to buy a new car in installements and I need to know what kind of paperwork is needed?

I'm working in an egyptian company and I have residential visa (married to egyptian)

I would appreciate specific answers so I can start preparing th epapers through my company.

you need to approach a bank that would approve to lend you (the bank where your salary goes)

you need a valid res visa which you have

you MIGHT need an Egyptian guarantor (wifey :D )

You need a salary transfer letter from your company

and finally you need a valid Egyptian driver's licence

Thank you bery much :)

Long time we didnt spoke to each other.

I dunno why but you crossed my mind a couple of days ago and I was thinking "where did this guy disappear" .....

how is life, buddy?