Bringing a dog to ethiopia

Can anyone help me with the process of bringing a dog to Ethiopia?  I'm considering a job in Addis and would like to understand how "pet importation" works.  Thanks!

Hi easports and welcome to expat-blog!

All the best

Francesca

If you are planning to bring your pet(s) to Addis Ababa, you must obtain the approval of the Ministry ofAgriculture (MoAg) BEFORE you arrive. Your sponsoring agency usually will help you with this. There is no quarantine period for pets coming into the country. To obtain MoAg approval, you will need to provide thefollowing information about your pet(s):
- name of pet
- breed
- USDA approval documents, signed/stamped within 1 week of departure
- Microship documentation
- Photocopies of any health records
- Current photo of pet

You must hand-carry the health certificate that confirms your pet has a valid rabies vaccination and is freefrom communicable diseases. You will need to produce these upon arrival at Addis Ababa Airport.  If your flight includes a layover in any European country, you will most likely need to have your pet microchipped. Your airline will be able to provide this information to you.  Note that there is no kennel facility in Addis if you wish to send pets ahead of your arrival.

Your pet must be shipped in an IATA-approved kennel that is sturdy and leak-proof and is large enoughfor the animal to stand, lie down or turn around in.  Be sure your pet has a comfortable pad to lie on and afew familiar toys.  A leash should be included with the crate.  Print your name and destination address and telephone number clearly on the kennel itself.  Check with the airline about food/water requirements foryour pet.

Source: Welcome to Addis Guide 3rd Edition

That detailed info is correct. If you do not have a sponsoring agency to help you, you can write directly to people at the Min of Agric.

I've brought pets here, both though a pet-transport agency (very good) and on my own (not bad, not great). In neither case did I have a sponsoring agency.

it is better to not bring here

do you have contact information for ministry of agriculture?
do you know if ethiopian airlines allows pets as excess luggage, and not just cargo?
do you know how strict eithiopai airlines is with pet travel in the cabin, concerning weight?

Hi travelers

Welcome on board :)

Please note that this thread is quite old !

Feel free to start a brand new topic with all your questions on the Ethiopa Forum for better interaction please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

@celebrateoften do you perhaps know how precisely to get the import permit from the MoA? Do i first need to do the export health certificate etc before I can apply?

Hello Nykiemoo,

It's been 10 years since that member last posted on the forum. I suggest you open a new thread on the Ethiopia forum  for any question you might have so that active members may respond.

All the best,

Bhavna

@easports

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct