Growing up in Tanganyika, later Tanzania

I was born of Cornish parents, but grew up in the bush in Tanzania. I wrote a best-selling book about my experiences as a child there, called 'Speak Swahili, Dammit!', & this has brought me into a great deal of contact with former expats all over the world, as well as both Tanzanians & expats living & working in TZ today. I never forgot my Swahili, either, & it's a joy to be able to speak it. I have a blog about my return to TZ after 44 years away (in 2010), & I shall be writing in it from time to time. Salamu wote!!

Jimu :=

That's Brilliant James, Welcome back to Tanzania. I'm sure a lot has changed since you left.

Karibu sana

NEW edition of 'Speak Swahili, Dammit!' - paperback, much cheaper, revised, improved. On Amazon Books UK. Soon to be on Amazon Books USA.  :-)

Loved your book.  I grew up in South Africa, Jo'burg and Durban.  Went to Marist Brothers in Durban - boys only when I was there in mid fifties. Late fifties moved to Southern Rhodesia.  I was a boy scout and spent most of my spare time in the bush.  After leaving school worked as a tobacco farmer in the Palm Block near the Zambezi Valley.  Loved every minute there.  Early sixties at the beginning of the political troubles (bush war) moved to California then Germany and then back to California where I now live.
I have a signed copy of Heia Safari by Lettow-Vorbeck.  I admire him greatly.  Did you know that the Nazis wanted him to join them and when he refused, the Nazis cut off his military pension.  When General Jan Smuts and another English senior General heard about that they had the British Government pay him a pension from a secret slush fund!  That's how much they admired their former foe!
Talked to a fellow today who grew up in Tanganyika as well.  Told him about your book.  I am sure he is going to read it and will probably contact you.  My email address is: [email protected].  It would be nice to hear from you; that is if you have time and inclination.