How do you negotiate a salary in Switzerland?

Hi there I am about to move from the UK to Basel and have no idea what sort of salary I would need to live there? I have heard that you should negotiate as this is acceptable in the Swiss business culture - any tips?

Hi Suzanne,

In swiss it's not so complicated :) we are not on the market :D

first you have to know that most of the a sectors have minimum salary. They are explained and regulary actualised in (CCT-CCNT for french ore GAV-LGAV for german)

You can find a list of all Worker convention (CCT-GAV) for every sectors here (german - french - Italian):

http://www.seco.admin.ch/themen/00385/0 … ml?lang=fr

Be carefull they change depend of the "canton" you live.

To know Approximately how much you can win, follow the next link. You have first some questions: 1. activity sectors 2. your age, which school level you study, which position you will have in your job, how many years experience you have in this job, which activity you have in your job sector and how many hours you have to work (at the end press = in the bottom)

here (french - german - italian):
http://www.lohnrechner.ch/usage/branches.html

When you have this informations, you have to know what you can do exactly for the company and what the company can offer you. With all this information, you can "handle" your salary. You cannot win less as the minimum salary and the negociation are depended about your ability to offer a good or a normal work quality.

it's offen the case for manager or leader position, that you speak about a "lower salary" for the 3 to 12 first monthes, and the next step salary will be adapted with the result of your work. It can be adapted too with the result of the company.

For a normal employee job, it's a middle way about your need to live and the payment capacity of the company. 

If you are not sure, be member of a worker association (not free of charge), and they will help you to understand what is right or not good.

Worker association:

most important (french - german - italian): http://www.unia.ch/index.php?L=1
second one (french - german): http://www.travailsuisse.ch/fr/node/19

I am interested in working in Basel. Do you have any suggestions? I had been in Zurich for  3 months 8 years ago.It is very fastinated me very much. I am looking to work in fruit picking,waiter in restaurant,gardening not too complicated skill.Could anybody suggest me? Thank you for help in advance.
Korny Thailand

Hello kunana100.

You should post an advert in the jobs in Basel section. It might help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you for your help and idea.

Hi Kunana100

You could check with A Chau Trading or New Asia Market, they employ mostly asians (Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese speakers).

Thanks for your suggestion.Do you have a website? or how can I follow this?
Thanks in advance.

New Asia Market AG
Rheinfelderstrasse 1
4058 Basel
Tel. + 41 (0) 61 683 55 85

www.new-asia-market.ch (german only)

(A-Chau is the same family)

Better go there and ask in person, they most probably won't be able to help on the phone.

Other asian shops and restaurants inform or ask these guys when they are looking for new staff too.

Thanks for you big help again. Unfortunately I can not read German.Do you have any website in English?
Thank so much.

Sawasdee!

Sorry, can't help.

As I said, best would be to go there and ask in person.

There are also many Thai restaurants in Basel, once you're in town just go from one to another, maybe you're lucky.

hope this helps, krapkrap!

I will try it.Do you have any way to find out?
Thanks in advance.

To be honest, I don't like to ask anyone if they have a job for someone else that I don't even know, if that is what you're asking for.

A-Chau, N.A.M. and other Asian companies here have countless friends and family members that would also want a job, so there is seldom any shortage of staff. OTOH, if you bring something special to the table (Thai Fruit Carving f.e.) or are at the right time at the right place, you may get hired on the spot. Forget about sending CV's or written applications, they most likely won't even look at it.

Main question is, do you have a work permit? If not, better don't even try getting a job anywhere, it's illegal and even if you would take on a position, you're pay would be way below CHF 20.-/hr, maybe 14-17/hr…

If you can get a permit, do as I said and go from door to door…
You can also look for vacant jobs here:
http://www.gastro-express.ch/jobs/index.cfm?md=sbi
(look at “Hilfskrafte”, on the RH side you can see the location, Basel, Zurich, etc…)

You can also check here, a place where adds can be uploaded free of charge, maybe the best place to find a job “the easy way”.
http://www.gratis-inserate.ch/suche/Arb … 0/0/biete/
(I have entered the search criteria for “Gastronomical positions in Basel”)

To find ALL Thai Restaurant in Town, use Google (Thai Restaurant Basel), mark them on a map and go for a walk, Basel is a small Town, so you should be able to check them all in a day or two.
Best would be to NOT go during “Service Time”, either before 11am or between 13:00-17:00 suits best.

But as I said earlier, I recommend you visit New Asia Market first.

Btw, if you have a B-Permit and are willing to work in the Zurich area, I'd have a position free in my company and could (try) apply for a work permit. We're in the Catering Business specializing in Asian Cuisine (Chinese, Vietnamese & Thai), I'm looking for new folks that can handle a Wok and know how to cook rice. We can also provide free accommodation, so that would not be the problem.

Send me a PM if that would be anything for you, but I won't be able to help if you're here on a tourist Visa…

So useful information. I am very appreciated for all things you explained for me. I will find the way for myself. I had been Zurich just 3 months as the tourist'visa.I never thought to work iligal because I didn't want to break your's country law.I have been thinking over so far missing to your country would like to go back once for work legal because the factor is very perfect for living.What skill should I have ? If I have aims such as going to work as a chef I would go as I have certificate from enrolling in thai cooking course at Chiangmai Univercity in Chiangmai. What else shoud I have more.
Thanks for your help.
Korn

Hi,

Are you intending to apply for a work permit at the Swiss Embassy in Thailand to come here?
If YES, I'm sorry to tell you, but I doubt you would have any chance. There is zero to nil options you have, only highly skilled and specialized persons from countries like Thailand may have a chance to come here and as far as I know, it needs a Swiss company or a company based in Switzerland that is seeking for “your help as an expert”. It is very complicated.

Gastronomical jobs on the level of a “chef” are NOT considered as such and “certificate from enrolling in thai cooking course at Chiangmai Univercity in Chiangmai” won't help at all, sorry to say so…

I had the impression you're maybe coming here because you are getting married to a Swiss citizen or a Thai with permanent residence here. That would be the only way how you can get a work permit once you're here.

It is very clairified. I am thankful to you for giving me in comprehesive details. Thanks again.