Getting married in Ethiopia

First things 1'st, to get married in Ethiopia you must prove your status of availability by getting prof from your
state secretary proving you've never been married or that you have a finalized divorce from your most recent
marriage. You can also get a affidavit stating you are not married at the U.S. Embassy for $35.00 that's what
the cost was as of April, 2012. Once you get this form taken care of you will need a set of passport size photo's
they cost about $10.00 there are many photo studios in Kircos. You will need 2 photo I.D.s a copy of each 1, so make sure you have clean color copies made of them, DO NOT USE YOUR PASSPORT; for 1 of these ID's..
  You will need 2 witnesses, they must have a photocopy of their I.D. as well & they have to be there at the time
of the ceremony, do not take some 1 with you who can't be there for the full process.
  Make sure your spouse to be has their prof of "Single Status" & two different photocopied i.d.'s..
In all it will cost about 4 days & $75.00 to get this done, that's not including the cost of the ring's.

Umm! how do you say this in a tasteful way, "Make Sure You Consummate Your Marriage!" .   :par:

By the way Ethiopia has a Domestic Cohabitation Law, meaning you must return with 2 years of your wedding date
or you can be charged with abandonment & have the marriage brought to a sudden end. Do not marry any 1 who can not show you where their family live's or a birth certificate. Make sure you go to the bank they use so you are not scammed. All in all, do the work don't just enjoy the night life.    :/

Anyone with good advice.  I met and married my wife in Sudan.  We've been together for 4yrs and married 1.5yrs.  I have checked with a immigration lawyer in uk and our marriage is legal to uk standards.
I am applying for a visa for my wife for the uk to return to live.  We have had a 6 month tourist visa and returned to Ethiopia before it expired.
My questions are.  Does it make it easier in the application if my wife changes her surname to mine.  If yes how do we do it?

Many thanks for any good advice

Hi I've already been married in Ethiopia if I wanted to find out dates of which I got married if I don't have the marriage certificate with me is there a way or a place that I can call to find out?

Dear mbheki,
If you want your ethiopian wife not to lose the ethiopian in her, I think should be on top of your packages. Bring her raw beef home or envite her kitfo, made of raw beef and spicy sauces. It works more than flowers at valantine day.

Good morning/evening,

I plan to get married to a wonderful Ethiopian lady this December. How much planning to I really need to do?
I will be there about 3 weeks. I would like to tour the country outside of the capital. Where do you suggest would be a good place to honeymoon?

Thanks

Thanks clearing that up.
I will apply for a Yellow Card

Living might mean taking chances there worth taking, loving might be a mistake its worth making
don't let some helpless heart leave you bitter and when close to selling out reconsider,
give the heaven above more than a passing glance, when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance
-Oleta Adams I hope you Dance.

Go for the love bro. If you dig her take your chances. Hooah

I'm also in a long time relationship with and Ethiopian. The biggest problem I see is, how will your Ethiopian husband or wife find a job outside Ethiopia?

Many Ethiopians don't speak English, let alone that they could pass a TOEFL test, so how are they going to learn the language in your home country if they don't even speak English.

Second, their education level is sometimes very low. From my experience, someone who passes grade 10 in Ethiopia does not know much more than a 12 year old child in Europe/US, who just got out of primary school.

If you are in the U.S.A. you will have wait 4 to 8 months for that person to start a job because they will need a work permit & a S.S.I. #. the fee for work permit is $380.00  { I-765 or I-140 }
That's why you have to prove your own income is over $20,000.00 per year..

what is the process for a Ethiopian to get a passport?   How difficult is it outside of Addis?  One more question please, is there any organization that can assist with this?  Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank You...

Try this link, #Jos2014..  http://www.ethiopianembassy.org/Consula … p;left=2#C

my brother is traveling to Ethiopia tonight to meet a woman he met online he says that they Going to get married she doesn't want a green card she's going to live her parents and she doesn't need him to take care of her because she is a doctor. My brother and her Father only communicate via email. I read some of their Skype messages  talking about sex and Getting married.The majority of people on her social media page is men  religious woman do this ?it sounds fishy. He already has 1 wife the and 6 kids.

Tell your brother to live at least two years with her before marrying.

I lived together for more than a year in Ethiopia with an Ethiopian woman, the first 9 months or so everything was fine, then the gates of hell were opening.

She requested me to marry her maybe a million times, then when she understood that marriage wouldn't happen anytime soon, she tried to get a baby by lying to me that she was on birth control ("don't worry - you can have as much sex as you want"). When she didn't get pregnant, she started asking for big amounts of money and stealing stuff from my house. Eventually I had to throw her out of the house, and had to send the police to her home to get my stuff back.

I know the topic is marriage, but for every guy who is going to Ethiopia, please get sterilized (your fertility can be repaired after you come back from Ethiopia), and for every woman who is going to Ethiopia, get an injection which protects you against getting pregnant for at least the period that you will be in Ethiopia.

Refusing marriage is easy, but refusing sex with a very beautiful habesha is very difficult, even when there are no condoms around.

What are some of the " must see" tourist attractions in Ethiopia?

Thanks

you guys are all wrong in a way before marrying a foriegner you have  to consider alot things  before marrying  from a particular country. first every country have both good and bad people even in usa the divource rate is high.. even in my country  and neigbouring west african country if you are not careful and you marry from there they will all eat ur money except you marry a GODLY family it is not only in ethiopia but all over the world you dont have to condem ethiopian ladies you can stiill find good ones there.. secondly most foriegners always enties ladies with money.....  am proud of african women npo matter what african women  still value marriage

As far as I know according to European Union law which is same as in Germany it is not possible to change your wife's name as long as abroad. I am sure that this is possibly only after she has entered the UK. Here in Berlin after my ex husband (from Africa) entered Germany the German registration office changed my name into his name. In several law forums it is alway stated that procedure's right way.

Wish you all the best.

I wish there was some posts about marrying an Ethiopian man.... Its all about wives, no husbands. Does anyone have any advise? I really need some.

Please do a real good background check on him, I have read that some of them are married & are just looking
to get to a E.U. / U.S. country. make sure you have a H.I.V. test done. go meet his family! as many of them as
you can. try to live with him for 3 to 6 months first if you can. Don't let yourself be rushed into anything. Ask
others about this okay..

MReagan,
I appreciate your quick reply. My stepsister has met him and his family. She was in Dembi Dollo for 3 weeks helping him and 3 other teachers with computer training. I have been chatting with him online for 6 months now and have spoken on the phone numerous times. I have also spoken to his uncle who lives in Calgary where I am from. I am planning to go there in April first to Addis then to Dembi. He actually talked to me about HIV which I thought was bold. So tell me this, are you married to someone from Ethiopia? You have so much info... and where are you now?

I am about getting married my Ethiopia fiancèe too I guess in 2016 or 2017.
(Moderated: inappropriate)

Sarah, what I like to say is, don't listen to people like MReagan who generalize, please don't!

Yeah, we had lots of good and bad times but love is always there, I can feel it. No material greediness. He has a very good Job, earning about 150 € in a leading position at one of Ethio's well-known TV companies but from his money live 3 people and 2 animals. :-) He never asked me for money. The opposite is the case, I am always on budget travelling (one of my principles, I am not willing to pay racist prices because I am white, I strongly refused and rather decline to buy than to agree with "white" prices). What will my guy do? He'll open his own wallet to add some more.

Of cause I know that covering expensive matters such as later document costs and wedding ceremony and Party and so on are up to me. But he is willing to support me, always and everywhere, he is managing every situation coming to a good end with his great personality.

Don't let enter opinions against your fianceé your underconcsience like poison. I close my ears against such nonsense. As my mother continues saying "Follow your heart!"

MsReagan I am very sorry for you, you must have bad experiences with Ethio men, my sympathy is with you. But telling this here to Sarah as if every Ethio man is like that, is narrow-minded and impolite. :dumbom: You said you were reading that, I don't believe you. Rather deeply disappointed woman write like you do. Poor woman. Off topic but I cannot underpress that, most in Africa believes HIV has come from America. Don't spread your nonsense, Sarah should insist him providing her with an HIV-test, here in this forum. I don't want Readers here to believe that. Ethiopia is one of the countries with the lowest HIV-rates in Africa. very non-intelligent! Where did you read this by the way? (moderated)

Wish you all the best. Warmth regards from Berlin.

My ex husband is fleeing the UK to be with an Ethiopia woman he knows not much about, his son and daughter plead with him not to go but he sign off check at work in the UK and his pension is worth a lot more over there, he gave the bank our house, claim he is sick and is going away even if while we were married we were supposed to move to the sunny island where I have a house and a business, he went to Ethiopia twice and decided to end our marriage he has a bracelet that cannot be remove from his wrist. well I will raise my kids and let him go even though I love this man with all my heart... I say good luck to him out there....

Hi everyone,

Please let's talk calmly here, there is no need to fight. ;)

I would like to remind you that generalized or racists comments are not welcomed on Expat.com.

Thanks

Priscilla

Dear all,

Please help me I am an indian i worked in ethiopia for 2 years and i fall in love with one beautiful angel and very good girl. Even we stayed together for along time. Now i lost my job and i came to india. We are in touch, but the Ethiopians motivated her that india is a very bad culture and ethiopians motivated against me. Previously she is telling i will come to india or where ever you go i will come, but now she is telling i wont come to india india is having bad culture like that she is telling.

I dont want to Cristie any cultures, if you think ethiopia is a free sex country even we cant get a virgin girl. But if u think in india almost we will get 90 % of virgin girls for doing marriage. But i love her even i am not considering about the virgin i am loving her but she is telling the india culture is bad.
Now i am thinking to go back to ethiopia to do marriage with that girl by convincing her please tell the procedure and what are documents needed to do marriage with that girl. even i have a visa for 3 months up to april. so that i can finish my process

Hi you,

I am sorry for what happens. Same problem I had (similar) with my Ethiopian fiancée. Not that his friends talked badly about Germany but the medias. However I would you advise you to contact your local alien's department regarding an invitation to India for your girlfriend for a particulat time (tourist or visitor's visa). I don't know about requirements but talk to them. In this way your girlfriend can see her future environment.

Ethiopians talk a lot and can be really tactless. I guess many people are jealous and talk badly about India. Same happened to me (Moderated: inappropriate) Your friend shouldn't listen to that. Probably noone of them has ever been abroad. They cannot compare Ethiopia and India. Make her aware of this fact!

Of course you can try to get married within the 3 months. But to take her worrying concerns about India off from her try to show her your life, your environment, your family and friends.

Hi

I dont want to discourage you, but please get conformation fully about him weather u will relocate or he will relocate and weather u will follow his culture or u have follow his culture then go a step forward

Hi

I dont want to discourage you, but please get conformation fully about him weather u will relocate or he will relocate and weather u will follow his culture or u have follow his culture then go a step forward. check the HIV .

Hi every body,
Thanks berlin 1973, thanks for u r reply. what u said is correct by seeing movies they are feeling india is bad but the conditions here are good no body cant push her to do some thing, she can run her life as her wish but she is not convening even she is not willing to see india. Recently she blocked me even she is not picking my phone and she is telling and she is crying. i dont know what i have to do. even i got acceptance from my family now she is refusing to continue with me. what i have to do. even i am asking her family members. i dont know about other country cultures even i dont want to discuss about all those, for my knowledge their country culture is good. I will agree about this one. coming to my condition i will believe if once i touched one girl she is my life till my death, if she leaves me also i will stay like this only by thinking about her. Even i wont get a step back ward to do some thing for me

Hi every body,

Exchanging my feelings to all, i posted about my condition previously, today i mada a call for my love. Actually she is asking me to get permission from u r parents from one year i taken time to get permission from my parents. Now i told every thing to my parents and i got all most acceptance from my parents. Now my heart, my life, my love is telling i dont want u just i lost love on u i dont want to come back to u. I lost every feeling on you. But i cant live with out her. Love means both has to support each other but she is telling i left every thing feelings on you. If we stay far away from love or a wife she will loose the feelings. I dont know what i have to do, sure i will stay like this only. even i am begging all her family members but she is not responding me even she blocked me in all aspects what i have to do where my life is going. Please give me some suggestions what i have to do further

Dear sir,

u are telling all ethiopians are not like same what bout my condition. i am an indian i loved one girl even i became othodox i cam to india for vacation due to some problems i didnt went again we are in contact via phone and facebook we stayed each other for 2 years she asked me to get permission form my parents., i got permission now she is telling i dont want u u leave me she is telling weather i am asking u in ethiopia girls are having respect for the love. even i am willing to do what ever she want but she is refusing me what i have to do.

@sunil.

Move on. Do not dwell on what might have been as this will only make you bitter and twisted. She has made her feelings known and pursuing her will get you nowhere at all.

I really need your help please…and I appreciate your quick reply..  I am an Ethiopian. And i fall in love with a very nice German guy. He lives in Germany. We often contact often via mail, skype and viber. He also came and visited me. Now we are going to get married this year. Few months ago he told me that he had sterilization and can't make a baby. Since I heard this from him I was really sad because I have a dream to have child with him. Now I am so confuse what to do? I need your help please?

Think once about your future life, no matter about the babies there are many ways in getting babies meet doctor once before the marriage, if u want babies you can get by test tube baby, if you really love him dont leave whatever the problems are coming in future you have to bare for the love. dont fool the love and dont made him a photo in your life. There should be having a cultural and some differences between you and german people but you have to adjust every thing for him please do marriage dont  leave him. Just think about him only dont think about any body,

The important thing which you have to remember is the locals habasha they will tell continuously about the Germany very bad things and they will insist you dont do marriage with the foreigners like this dont listen those word you listen your heart and your mind only. Sure there will be a dispuites between you and your boy friend in the future this is life we have adjust for everything or he has to adjust and you have to run your life have a beautiful life i want to hear a good news from you that you had married that guy and you have to life happily

Moderated by Mishna
Reason: No contact details on the forum please

Thank you so much for the sweet reply. it helps a lot. yes, for sue i do really love him!!

I do really appreciated thank you so much.!!

one thing i have to tell you are a ethiopian and he is german, there will be alot of differences in culture and living style both has to adjust, before marriage it is u rs life you can run in u rs wish but after the marriage you have to  live with u r husband at least u have to live based on his circumstances. And one more thing i heard a bad bad bad things about  things about the ethiopian girls but all are not ture and all are not false but what i belive is the without seeing practically we cant tell any thing bad on any body,If you see by u r eyes then only u have to tell this is bad and this is good. Now i seen every thing with my eyes about the girls in ethiopia, they are good. Please for the sake of love do marriage and kindly revert the marriage photos for my email id or my face id i have to see yours marriage,

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

I do really appreciated thank you so much.!! And let you know when we get marred.

@Fifitariku:

Don't worry. I am German and I am also sterilized (I am female).My Ethiopian fiancèe accepted immediately even that it is non-common among black women. They gain their self-conficende from giving birth. However, he must have has his reasons undergoing a sterilization. My honest opinion: If you really have enough love you have to accept. It is his owen body and so it was his decision. I donÄt think a child makes a marriage happier. It depends on the spouses how both create happiness to each other. A child isn't the best in a marriage (I am lucky for myself not to have kids). Wish you all the best.

Hello,
I am a dual citizen of USA and Canada and I just married my sweetheart on the 12th of May in Addis. It was very easy because we had all the information before hand.
My husband got a non-marital certificate at his local kebele office,and I had my divorce paperwork. First we made an appointment at the U.S. Embassy for me and paid $50 USD for a notorized decree stating who I was and who I was going to marry. Plus his mothers name and our addresses and such. Second, we took that paper to the foreign minister to get stamped. $15 USD( or around that price) for a stamp of approval. Third, off to the municipal building to have the wedding ceremony. I think $35 USD.
The husband needs two witness and the wife needs two witness that can stay the whole time as they will need to sign paperwork during the marriage ceremony.And that's it!!! Now I will be dealing with the I-130 visa. It was practically painless. 😊

@sarahsunshine:

Thank you soooo much for this information. Good to know where he has got his bachelor certificate. Maybe for me as a Germany it is a little different because I 1st need a so called "concular certificate" after I got my German documents.

I wish you really all the best and maybe you could privide some informaion about the visa procedure.