Getting married in Kuwait

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Kuwait or who are about to get married in Kuwait to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Kuwait? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Kuwait)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Procedures are complicated.
It is like Starting a Challenging Project.

further info can be found here

This service allows Kuwaiti and Non-Kuwaiti applicants to conclude a marriage contract at court    -    

Eligibility or Criteria
The spouses, the wife's guardian, and the two witnesses must attend the procedures    -    

Required Documents
Civil ID or nationality certificate for Kuwaiti applicants    -    
Civil ID or passport for resident applicants    -    
Letter from the Executive Committee and the personal identification for illegal resident applicants    -    
Determination of heirs for widow applicants    -    
Letter from the Public Institution for Social Security, if the husband is a student, a dealer, a retired, or unemployed    -    
Determination of heirs, if the guardian is deceased    -    
Divorce certification for the divorcee    -    
Special power of attorney    -    
Marriage permit from the employer, if the husband is a military man    -    

Procedures
1. Visit the Authentication Office at Ahmadi Court Complex or Riggai Court Complex and submit the required documents

2. Fill the service application form

3. Pay the fees due

Fees
6 KD    Variable fees: In case the court representative visits the spouses
1 KD    Fixed fees: Undefined

Is it really possible for a Kuwaiti woman to get married to a foreign man? I got the answer "NO" from a friend of mine who knows Kuwait very well.But it's allowed for a Kuwaiti man to get married to a foreign women! :blink: By the way one of my friends getting married in Kuwait, hopefully soon. Both Sri Lankan, they wouldn't get much problem coz her bf is Muslim. If you're not a Christian or a Muslim things are more complicated. But still others also have a way to get married in Kuwait ( ofcz there should be!)...... Can let you know when I get to know in details.

Yes, Kuwaiti woman can marry non Kuwaiti man.
I know personally some guys who married to Kuwaiti ladies.
But %99 they marry only a Kuwaiti man, because  when a Kuwaiti man get married , the government gives free house and loan to him.Plus free education and health care for her kids in the future because they will have a Kuwaiti passport.

just as Moo said, the country you could be referring to is Saudi, where marriage is controlled by the government. in kuwait u are free to marry whomsoever u choose, given pressure from family ofcourse, however should u choose not to marry someone of the same nationality then ofcourse you lose out on the benefits the govt offers.

I think she is referring to a Muslim woman not able to marry a Non-Muslim man. In this case yes whether a kuwaiti woman or any Muslim woman cannot marry someone who is not Muslim while a Muslim man can marry a non-Muslim woman provided that she is from the people of the book (Christians, Jewish).

Aw! thanks everyone! Got to know new things!

and if the things are like : jordanian man and ukrainian girl, he has a working visa, he is muslim and she orthodox?

how and what to do in this case?

that falls under normal marriage conditions :)

how the scenario will be, in a case i dont have a local kuwaity visa, should i have usual travel one and get all docs ready and we should get marriade in the time of 30 days?

hmm, thats a pickle.

they say "residents", now whether that is explicitly implying that all marriage applicants should be residents in kuwait i.e. have a residency is not known. if ur visiting, im not sure if they would accept it or not.

this is one case where u must get ur spouse to inquire before u make the trip to Kuwait i reckon.

Olivka wrote:

how the scenario will be, in a case i dont have a local kuwaity visa, should i have usual travel one and get all docs ready and we should get marriade in the time of 30 days?

I know a man who got married here to a resident girl and he had a visit visa. So that I think you can do your marriage here too, However I recommend your man to go to the court to get more details.

very useful info, thank you very much! will do that.

can any one tell what are work timings of civil court for marriage procedure
do they proceed for same on saturday's???

A Kuwaiti woman can marry a non Kuwaiti man. I am Kuwaiti woman that is married to a foreigner

not often

q8woman wrote:

A Kuwaiti woman can marry a non Kuwaiti man. I am Kuwaiti woman that is married to a foreigner

if both are foreigners (non kuwaiti) it's forbidden getting married in Kuwait if one of the two has only a tourist visa, both need the residency. I called all offices, people, etc to know if there was a way but all replied me the same 'go in your country for the wedding'.

This may have changed, but my wife and I married in Kuwait in 2011 and I had a tourist visa, and she had a residency visa. I just had to show my passport, along with some legal paperwork from my embassy. We are both US citizens by the way, but I am not sure if that should matter.

From what I remember, I had to get a "free to marry" document from my embassy, then I went down to the ministry of Foreign Affairs and got that document authenticated there. I think I had to translate the "free to marry" form and then I went to the ministries complex to do the ceremony. I also had to have 2 male witnesses with me. It actually took me 3 tries at the ministry complex, one time they were closed and the other time they were on strike.

I guess it changed because I called the court, my embassy, the i pc, all of them told me the same, that without civil Id it was not possible to do it. I don't think for us citizens its different, nobody asked for my nationality, anyway I don't know, good luck to who wants get married, there is always a solution (even if not in this country ;) )

New law allows Kuwaiti women married to foreigners 70000 kd loan , free house ... Good luck everyone

The (free to marry) is essential

My husband and I got married in Kuwait and not only that we had to have civil ID but our witnesses had to have civil IDs as well.

However, now I am facing a completely different problem and I hope someone can help me out.
I came to my home country to register  marriage here and change my family name as we are about to have a baby. Now local authorities here wont accept Kuwaiti marriage contract as it says 'marriage contract' and  it does not have any data on me ( such as DOB, fathers name or passport number) other than my name and Kuwaiti Civil ID. They require a proper marriage certificate. and 2. even if I somehow succeed to register marriage here I wont be able to change my family name to my husbands as it is not mentioned in Kuwaiti document. Anyone faced this problem yet???? It really freaks me out! 
Many Thanks!!

would a marriage in Bosnia be an option to rectify this?

Hi Legacy,
obviously  we have checked that option long ago but it has too many requirements for foreign citizens. so no, that is not an option. the question is this 'civil marriage contract ' from Kuwait , if it is not accepted here most likely there all be other countries where it will not be recognized. Indeed, there is always an option of getting married elsewhere but that is too complicated logistics and paperwork wise. So I am trying to find the way to have this existing paper accepted and find out if there is any other document that states required data that can be issued to us...:(

what if you pass by the Kuwait embassy of your hometown?

the name on the paper cannot be changed, bear in mind Kuwait is an Arab country, and in Arabic we say عقد زواج which means marriage contract, and not شهادة which is certificate.

your problem should be resolved via the appropriate notaries on your paperwork.

Yes I am going to Kw Embassy next week. However more I think , more I am certain that the document is incomplete especially given the fact we are talking about 2 foreign nationals and only data that are written are names, nationality and  Kuwait civil ID number.....

[Moderated: Avoid copy/paste post on the forum.]

If im american how do i get her dads approval or acceptance thz glass

how can I marry a kuwaiti woman:|

But how can marry a Muslim foreinger to a kuwaiti women

is it possible to get married india guy to kuwaiti girl? what are the ways to get the girl whom you love and wish to marry?

What makes you think Kuwaiti women want to marry a foreigner? Unless they really love someone they might but the get no benefit from marrying a foreigner and their children would not be Kuwaiti which means her children would have to have visas for the rest of their lives. You can try finding a bedoon female to marry, that's the closest you would probably get to marryin a Kuwaiti.

Mehdi from Iran....this is not a Kuwaiti dating site.

Or maybe @Mehdi needs help getting married to an individual in Kuwait whom he already knows? What exactly is the question? What is it that we can actually help with on this public domain? Papers, formalities, legalities .. etc.?

Well as my first post I will have to ask you all to go easy, as I am fighting Social Anxiety here lol. So it seems like forever now since I have been to Kuwait, and when I went It was only a couple weeks. I loved it there, and even at one point considered packing my bags and pursuing work. I tried everything in fact becoming a little obsessed, applying for DOD work at camp Arifjan, taking on very painful Arabic classes, and even at one point considered the Muslim faith an option. The story goes on, but I am trying to summarize it all as much as possible. I could not get in with the credentials I had at the time, and I accepted it. During all that, I met a woman here in the States, before all of this, and being so anxious in social situations, it was so hard for me to really get a date, because I just would freee up, i knew what to say but never could say it in the right way. This girl, not only was the most beautiful woman, very down to earth, and so much in common, even the social Akwardness, it was like we were meant for each other all along, And we just hit it off. Which is how I wound up going to Kuwait City to meet her family, and see where she grew up. Well despite I could never live their, and things taking a turn to more serious endeavors, she stood by me here in the states, despite how much she wanted to return to her home in Kuwait. She has never complained to me yet about it, but I see it in her eyes that she is not happy in my home, and now add a failing job market, over priced health care, and a bad financial situation. I just don't know how she could possibly want to endure it, but she does, and that is why i love her more than anything in this world itself. We've known each other almost four years and have been seeing each other steadily for three. She lives with me as well, and with full blessings and long calls to Kuwait with her father and family, I proposed to her, and she said yes! I want her to be happy, and I want only what is best. I know she misses her family very much. Our wedding will be in Kuwait hopefully depending on what fees and paperwork needs to be filed....but she doesn't know, is I have been saving quite a bit aside from a few months before i proposed to her, till now. And I would like to see what it would take for both of us to not only get married in Kuwait, but reside permanently. I realize I would never be a citizen or more than a permanent resident. But that isn't what matters to me, I want to start our new life together were we are both happy, and I know she is not happy here in the USA. So what legal matters would I need to take care of, and paper work and visas, would i need to apply for in order to accomplish this. Obviously for her, it is just a matter of getting on the plane, and going because she is Kuwaiti. Please anyone who has or knows how to do this comment or ask for my personal email and we can discuss it more in-detail. And for the record, I do not want her to change her faith and her beliefs to fit mine, I have willingly decided after months of contemplation and research i would convert to the Muslim faith. Thank you all who reads this and may help

read it. next time please try to space it out with paragraphs and stuff, coz it was very difficult to follow.

i think the main gist of what you are asking is how do u move to live in Kuwait?

firstly, congratulations on the pending nuptials, may u both be blessed and happy. so long as u know its right, go ahead.

all you need to stay here is a job. or u can go and come back every 3 months. it will cost u a bit, but without a job, that is your only option as a US citizen.

i am indian and i am muslim
i loving a kuwait girl and what is the rules and regulations for marry her
could u advise me?
thank you
Abdullah Ansif

Kuwait marriage process

1.  I obtained a certificate of divorce from the a State of TN.

Tennessee Vital records 
http://health.state.tn.us/vr/
tel:1-855-809-0072.   615-532-2681 /2680

Tennessee Vital Records
1st Floor, Central Services Building
421 Fifth Avenue, North
Nashville, TN  37243.      Corner 5th and Charollett

Open M,W,F 8-4
Tue & Thur 8-6
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2.  They had to send it around the corner to the TN State Department to get it Certified. MUST be certified for INTERNATIONAL USE for marriage in the country of Kuwait.

State authentications office in TN.    http://www.tn.gov/sos/contact.htm
tel:(615) 741-0536

BUSINESS SERVICES
312 Rosa L. Parks Avenue
6th Floor, Snodgrass Tower
Nashville, TN 37243-1102
Phone: (615) 741-2286
Email | Web site

Need 2 copies of divorce cert...before 3:00

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3.  I had that sent to a Family member in the U.S. My Family sent it to the U.S State Department in Washington DC. With pre paid return envelope. Wait 5-7 days to go through security.

US Dept of State in DC....state.gov/authentications
tel: 202-485-8000
600 19th St NorthWest
Washington, DC 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

4.  The U.S. Department of State sends it to the Kuwait Embassy there in Washington DC. Kuwait Embassy in Washington DC.  703-965-4157
5.  The Kuwait Embassy will translate, certify, stamp the Divorce Certificate and use the provided pre paid self addressed envelope to send it back to my Family member there in the U.S.
6.  My Family Member mailed it to me here in Kuwait.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

7 Here in Kuwait my Fiancée had her certified divorce papers from China.
8. Get a letter from your Christian Church here in Kuwait prepare a paper stating you are both single, not Muslim and are Christian for both of you. The Light House Church is  very good source of information , certified to do documentation. They were a huge help! See Pastor Yevett 2240-7195 ext 103... Mobile 6556-9290

9.  We took the divorce papers and Church document to a local shop (like a kinkos) 5 KWD and 24 hours later it was translated.
10.   Take these to the ministry of Foreign affairs Building around ... 45 and 80. Get an e- Stamp and stand in line to have them sign do their thing.
11.   Go to the Ministries Complex to Block/ building 15 third floor ministry of Justice (authentication) Get them to stamp and sign.
12.   Go down stairs to the Ground Floor to the ministry of Justice and let them do their thing.
13. While there go around the corner to room 25 and talk to them to see if they think everything is good...?
                                NOTES
     A.  Certificate of the legal capacity to contract marriage free to (Mary Form ...not accepted) from Embassy for both spouses or a certificate of singleness to whom it may concern from the church for both spouses.
   B.   All papers should in Arabic from a CERTIFIED Translation Office, Attested from the translation Department of the Ministry of Justice (3rd Floor) , and authenticated from the authentication Department (ground floor)
   C.   Two male (Muslim or Christian) Witnesses
   D.   The original Civil IDS of all parties involved. In case visiting, copy of visa.....
   E.   All documents must be attested from the Kuwait ministry of Foreign Affairs.
   F. All Catholic documents must be attested from the apostolic Nunciature for the Catholic Church.

14.  Between 0800-1200 PM Sunday or Wednesday take all papers and 2 male witnesses with their civil IDs  back to the ground floor, room 25 of building 15 of the Ministry Complex and see if you get married.

Great! Info