Getting married in Croatia

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Croatia or who are about to get married in Croatia to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Croatia? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Croatia)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hello, Armand
I got married last year. My husband is Croatian.

All I needed was:

1. a valid passport (actually I used my ID, because I am from an EU country)

2. my birth certificate with the Hague Apostille on it and both translated.
The Hague Apostille is not required for all countries, you have to find out whether your country is a member of the Hague Convention or not. If itŽs not, maybe there are other procedures to follow.

Some say your birth certificate can not be older than 6 months, but mine was and I had no problem with it. The Apostille had been issued 1 month earlier, maybe that saved me.

3. A certificate of celibacy, which can not be older than 6 (or 3) months. I got it at the register office where I was born.
This has to bear the Hague apostille too and both be translated into Croatian.

If you do not find a translator in your country, you can translate the documents with the apostille on them, in Croatia.
Here you can find a list of the official translators in Croatia and see if there is a translator for your language:
http://www.sudacka-mreza.hr/tumaci.aspx

We submitted the documents 40 days before we got married.

When you submit the documents do not forget to tell them you need your original birth certificate back (if you do). Otherwise they will keep it. If it is only issued once in your country, they will make a copy of it and give you back the original.

The best thing you can do is consult the register office where you are going to get married, since requirements may differ depending on your country of origin.

Hi Armand!
You want to get married in Croatia and I want to get married in Mauritius :)
I am from Croatia, and i can give u one advice. Your papers such as birth certificate, certificate of celibacy really shouldn't be older then 3-6 months, that can give you a lot of trouble! Everything else shouldn't be a problem, if you need an "insider"  let me know, i will try to help!

Laine,
That what I was told too, before I got married, that my birth certificate shouldn't be older than 6 months, but mine was 7 years and I had no problem.
Croatians should take into account the fact that in some countries birth certificates are issued only once in a lifetime. I had another one issued 8 years ago because it was the new format - the blue European certificate. In case you lose it, you have to pay a fine and you will get a new one.
As I said before, my birth certificate was 7 years old and I had no problem getting married in Croatia - maybe because of the apostille, which was recent.

Hello,

Thank you both for your help ;)

Armand

there are agencies on line where you can ask for a new birth certificate any time you need..
I got married in Croatia with my British husband..
He born in Germany and was very difficult to find "fresh" birth certificate for him.. He just ordered on line, and we didn't have any problem..

Thank you for your input. ;)

Aurélie

to get married in Croatia you dont have any problem
you need :
1. valid passport
2. birth certificate ( translated on Croatian language) not older of 6 month
3. certificate from your origin country that your country recognized marriage assembled in Croatia
and thats is all you need to get married in Croatia
but then if you want to live in Croatia you need so many papers from Croatia and from your country and you can get only temporary residence for one year and you need to extended this every year for five years then you can get permanent residence.
for working in Croatia if you have temporary residence its not a problem you can work. for medical insurance if you dont work you must pay about 60EUR per month but if you work company pay that

good luck

We are planning to get married in September 2013 in Crotia. We are both United States citizens looking for any advice. Thank you very much : )

The US Embassy in Croatia website has all the information you need.

Hi To All,,,

i came to know that if a person marry with Croatian Girl then he

can get permanent residency after 3 years?is it true???

Nadeem.Rana wrote:

Hi To All,,,

i came to know that if a person marry with Croatian Girl then he

can get permanent residency after 3 years?is it true???

I think its 5 years.

I think my friend Campos knows more about it.