Getting married in Romania

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Romania or who are about to get married in Romania to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Romania? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Romania)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I'm curious about this as well. I'm from USA and my girlfriend is from Romania. We are getting married in October in Romania. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated. As far as I know, getting married in Romania is a pretty straightforward process.

i am gonna marry my Romanian girlfriend in romania within 2-3 months. She lives is Ramnicu Valcea. Is it possible to marry her by going there with tourist visa?or do i need to get an invitation letter approved in Romania and get a visit visa with it and go for marrying her? is the process of marrying her in the city hall complicated one? how long does the process take?

I don't thinking the 'getting married' part is difficult, it's registering the non EU spouse that's a problem. I'm not Romanian and neither is my husband. He's an EU citizen and I'm not. It took a awhile and the authorities even asked to keep our wedding photos.
My friends married to Romanians were interrogated in separate rooms to their spouses to check if their stories were true. So..... Good luck!

I got married too to a Romanian, and trust me, the paperwork is madness. As an EU citizen I had to get all these documents from my home country (apostiled), then translated and legalised in Romania. Then there was this medical test, and another statement from the Embassy in Bucharest. Then, filing it at City Hall where you wait for hours (if you're unlucky like me)...

PS: The marriage law (legea 119/1996 was recently changed on some matter, through Government Emergency Ordinance (OUG) 80/2011 which then got ratified by law through Law 61/2012 Legea 61/2012 ("privind aprobarea OUG 80/2011 pentru modificarea si completarea Legii nr. 119/1996 cu privire la actele de stare civila")

Thank you all for your help ;)

Armand

Mark_W wrote:

I got married too to a Romanian, and trust me, the paperwork is madness. As an EU citizen I had to get all these documents from my home country (apostiled), then translated and legalised in Romania. Then there was this medical test, and another statement from the Embassy in Bucharest. Then, filing it at City Hall where you wait for hours (if you're unlucky like me)...

I went through exactly the same process as this too. I am British and married a Romanian girl, it cost a fortune getting all the British bits of paperwork and the appostile bits, but with regards for the Romanian bits not much money was spent, and like Mark i also had to wait ages at city hall.

My husband and I got married in Romania. I am an American citizen, he is Romanian. It was a real hassle to jump through all the hoops. I was living in the States at the time and had to arrive in Romania about 2 and a half weeks before the civil ceremony. I had to have all my documents, birth certificate, etc. translated with and with an apostile. I also had to go to the U.S. consulate in Bucharest to get an affidavit that I was not already married. Next we had to get medical exams and take everything to the city hall at which point we were told that we had to get the notary's seal translated into Romanian. Finally we had all of the paperwork ready for the City Hall and were then told we had to come back in two days to verify that we hadn't changed our minds. We did all of this for the civil ceremony which really didn't matter to us, we just did that so that we could have our wedding in the Catholic Church!

Thank you all for contributing.

Aurélie

Great discussion, I'm also about to marry my Romanian fiance and we have to start working on getting our paperwork together...can anyone tell me some points of contact, websites in order to complete this process? I'm a US citizen and I'm also thinking about moving to Sibiu in about four years...can I register my 2011 US vehicle?  I need some advice, thanks....

TLOANUYRA wrote:

Great discussion, I'm also about to marry my Romanian fiance and we have to start working on getting our paperwork together...can anyone tell me some points of contact, websites in order to complete this process? I'm a US citizen and I'm also thinking about moving to Sibiu in about four years...can I register my 2011 US vehicle?  I need some advice, thanks....

This is what you need in detail.
sibiu.ro/ro2/cic/unact.php?id=126

I've gone thru it as a US citizen.  You need to have your birth certificate with apostille, passport, go to the US embassy in Bucharest to get an affidavit saying you are free to marry.  You and your fiance must go to her family doctor (medic de familie) to get a paper saying you don't have any communicable diseases or something to that effect, and also go to the hospital in town to have blood (HIV) tests done and the results take at least a week (some doctors will produce results and send you on your way instantly if you pay the reasonable "fee", if time is a concern).  This certificate is only good for 2 weeks, so you/she should go to the city hall to get your wedding date arranged before you get the certificate if possible.  Your fiance needs her birth certificate also of course.  You also must go to the notary and declare your US domicile.  Finally, all your papers must be translated to Romanian, and legalized by the notary.  This was the biggest headache for me.  Then you turn in all the file, and hopefully get married on your day.

Then to live in Romania, you next apply for a Permis de Sedere (Residency Card for Family Members) which is another topic....

There should be no reason you cannot register your car here. I personally elected to buy a new car here so I can't say the process.  I'm sure its more difficult than registering a car already here, as the authorities will not be as experienced with such cases.

There's usually a huge tax on registering a car here for the first time, especially if it's an older car with a poor emmisions rating, so unless it's something special, it's probably best to do as romaniac says and get a car here.

Romaniac and Maykal,

Thanks for your help and for the advice on vehicle registration.  I'll check out the website and hopefully get married soon. 

TLOANUYRA

if she don't know or cannot find out than you deserve another wife.
Sorry but is a fact!

I already detailed a lot of the papers that one would need to get married here. 

Also, I would say it is close to impossible to get married here if you're only in the country for 6 days, especially if you're Romanian fiance cannot figure out where the city hall is and what documents are needed to marry you.

Staying only 6 days in the country, you are likely NOT getting married.  Also, Bucharest is a big city, I doubt she is so alone and so incapable of locating the local authorities and asking the questions if she seriously wants to get married.

If somehow I'm wrong and she is that clueless, tell her to go to www.sector5.ro

(Took me 10 seconds on google to find that link....amazing tool it is)

I just got married to my Romanian husband. I am Indonesian. We found out that getting married in Romania was a lot of hassle, so we decided to get married in Copenhagen, Denmark, with a tourist visa. It was just a 5 minute process. We got our marriage certificate from Copenhagen city hall, then we registered it in Romania. After the registration, they made a Romanian marriage certificate for us. That was it. We are now officially married according to the Romanian law. I currently live in Romania with a spouse visa.

hi...i'm from Romania and my boyfriend is from India i want to marry him and to get for him identity card...is somebody who know how i can and how much long tome is taking?  please.....

Hi,

i am From Pakistan.is there any person who can tell me that if i

marry with Romanian girl then after how many years i can get

Romanian pasport?

dragomirescu nicoleta wrote:

hi...i'm from Romania and my boyfriend is from India i want to marry him and to get for him identity card...is somebody who know how i can and how much long tome is taking?  please.....

Why don't you ask the immigration police? They can tell you.

Hi hi...good answer...:)

i appreciate any updates on laws for expat to marry Romanian in Romania please

Laws are not specifically written for expats in this regard.

ShawarmaXpat wrote:

Not sure why is he even on this site, when he never really gives any proper advice to anyone. Seems like a contempt & disgruntled bloke.

Nice try,  look in the mirror ShawarmaXpat...

This "celebacy" certificate you refer to is actually a non-polygamy declaration and is not specific to Arabs nor other nationalitites,  Divorces must show that it is finalized and irrevocable. As with other documents, the original and translation of the document is required.

Source: US Embassy, and personal knowledge.

Hello everyone,

Some inappropriate posts have been moved from this thread.

Do not forget that we are here to exchange/share ideas and give helping hand to other members who are in need. :)

Thank you,

David.

Plz tel me bro my e mail plzzz

hi experts
i am ash mia citizen of bangladesh but right now i am living in uk through student visa.my wife is an indian and romanian citizen too.we married in uk.i want to apply for romanian permanent visa.
please give some advice.
my question is :
1)can i apply for romanian permanent visa from uk?
2)what is the process of getting permanent visa for romania?
3)how long does it takes to get permanent citizenship for romania?
thank you for help.have a nice time.

ash mia wrote:

hi experts
i am ash mia citizen of bangladesh but right now i am living in uk through student visa.my wife is an indian and romanian citizen too.we married in uk.i want to apply for romanian permanent visa.
please give some advice.
my question is :

1. There's no such thing as a permanent visa in Romania.  So no, you cannot apply for it from UK.

2. There is no process, because it doesn't exist.

3. 5 years at a minimum, you must live in Romania 3 of the 5 years and not leave the country for more than 6 months at any time, as well as pay a lot of money and pass several arbitrary exams.  This is done on the basis of a residence permit for family members, not a visa.  You can apply for one once you arrive and reside in the country with your spouse.

thnx for information...

hi dear,,

i am from pakistan and i want to go and stay in romania with my future wife, as she is romanian citizen. could u plz guide me wat is the quickest way for all that. i am also a student of ACCA final level..

Marry for love, not convenience!

Hello everyone,

Can we please concentrate on the initial topic. :)

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com team

hi..  im from the philipppines and were planning to get married with my romanian bf, and i would like to know if how long does it take to prepare all the necessary requirements? hope i can get a reply from you guys  :)

I did it in 2 weeks, and a friend of mine that came last year also did everything in about 2-3 weeks

romaniac wrote:

I did it in 2 weeks, and a friend of mine that came last year also did everything in about 2-3 weeks

thanks for the info romaniac. it such a great help.  ;)

You can get a passport after 5 years of living in Romania. To get a passport you will need to first optain the Romanian citizenship . to do this you have to pass a test ( written exam - romanian geography, history romanian language and culture). If you pass this test you can get the passport .

To my understanding, there is also an oral examination......but this is off the topic of getting married.

Hi Ash

How did you get on?

Have you got an email so I can ask you a few questions? Or you can email me on [email protected] and I can reply back to you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Hi JayAli - please feel free to start a thread with all your questions on the Roumania Forum for better interactions :)

romaniac wrote:
ash mia wrote:

hi experts
please give some advice.
my question is :

1. There's no such thing as a permanent visa in Romania.  So no, you cannot apply for it from UK.

2. There is no process, because it doesn't exist.

3. 5 years at a minimum, you must live in Romania 3 of the 5 years and not leave the country for more than 6 months at any time, as well as pay a lot of money and pass several arbitrary exams.  This is done on the basis of a residence permit for family members, not a visa.  You can apply for one once you arrive and reside in the country with your spouse.

Yes there is something called  a permanent visa. First of all any foreigner intending and staying for more than 90 days in Romania needs to apply for a local temporary residence permit (Certificat de Inregistrare). In principle this document is valid for 5 years. The immigration law (or the law on foreigners staying in Romania) states how you can obtain a permanent residence (which one could consider equal to a permanent visa).

In order to approve a permanent visa (or residence permit) one can apply for it when having legally stayed for 5 years in Romania. It is considered continuos even in case you have been absent from the Romanian territory ( > 6 consecutive months) in those 5 years.  You need to proof that you can be self-sufficient subject to certain conditions (does not apply if you are married to a Romania), you can proof that you have health insurance and you reasonably speak the Romanian language.

As far as I know, one can obtain a termporary/permanent residence in Romania, only when presenting yourself personally to the authorities. There is (to my knowledge) absolutely no possibility to apply for such document from abroad (reason being, is that they require to make a picture of you when you apply for a permit, which then is stored in the National Database of the Ministry of Internal Affairs)

You can apply for Romanian citizenship only when having legally stayed in Romania for 8 years, the exception being those who are married to a Romanian (5 years legal stay necessary to apply for Romanian citizenship). For more information see: cetatenie.just.ro/categorii-de-cereri/articolul-8/