Getting married in Scotland

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Scotland or who are about to get married in Scotland to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Scotland? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Scotland)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi, I'm Canadian and my wife is Scottish. We got married here almost teo years ago. It was pretty straight forward. Thee only scary part was the application for Certificate of Approval for Marriage in the UK (aka COA). It was a somewhat in depth background check. I had to send off passport photos and I think my wife had to provide them too, but we're having a hard time remebering. Too many visas, passport renewals, etc. It all blends together. There are a few other things. Applying for a marriage liscense, announcing the rings, booking an appointment with a registrar, but I just finished work and I'm quite tired and having a hard time remembering everything just now. I'll add some more tomorrow, once I've had some sleep... ;)

Thank you mid_alex! :)

Hey Armand,

I am Canadian and my husband is British. We got married on Jan 21st this year and the process was pretty easy and didn't take too long.  You no longer need the Certificate of Approval of Marriage. We planned the wedding in 2 weeks as my visa was due to expire.  I phoned the Edinburgh Registrar's Office on January 4th and booked a room for the ceremony. It was pretty straightforward, just had to fill out a Marriage Notice which is easy. Basically that's all you need to do if you want a no frills wedding. We had a fairly big wedding, so we organized a dinner and reception after. I think it was easy to plan as it was January which is not a popular wedding time. Then after that I had to apply for a spousal visa which took ages! We both had to send our passports away and it took just over 12 weeks for the whole thing. But now it's all good :) Any other questions feel free to ask!

Cheers

Candy

Hi Candy!

Congrats and thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand